Landlady refusing to give 130,000 baht deposit back after moving out-what can I do?

mangyH2obuffalo

As I have written previously, you need to forget about any deposit that you pay.  Divide that deposit amount by the number of months that you are in the rented property and look upon that as the actual realistic rent. If you get some thing back then good, but often you will not. From what I can tell, anecdotally,  farang owners will normally be quite straight with you,  but far too many Thai owners are no more than thieves, as they know that you have no real recourse in law. Forget it and move on. 

• Confused 3
  • Sad 1

On 1/13/2021 at 7:19 PM, mangyH2obuffalo said:

She simply says that she doesn't have the money.

I don't know the legal aspects of you getting your bond back here, but as it appears Thailand doesn't have an independent bond board to hold your money and release it when the landlord signs off on it, if not then a tribunal can decide whether she has grounds to stop the board releasing it to you, that is the way a bond should be held.

The above said, I would suggest anyone renting, hold off on paying rent equal to the bond amount before they vacate, if the owner gets upset, that's their problem, sometimes you have to protect yourself best you can.

Hope it works out for you, low act on her side. The article in the link below might assist, it says Consumer Complaints Board, might be a start, or the people in the article might be able to assist ?

https://www.khaosodenglish.com/featured/2018/05/16/thai-law-landlord-not-playing-by-new-rules-heres-what-to-do/

Edited by 4MyEgo

59 minutes ago, ChipButty said:

Thats not the case my friend I've had a couple of run in's with Thai's and got my money back, Once in BKK 2 months deposit it took me a couple of months, but I got it.

'a couple of run ins' rather proves my point doesn't it?

• Sad 1

On 1/13/2021 at 2:05 AM, mangyH2obuffalo said:

It was a nice apartment arranged by my wife's employer.

Um.. I'm no expert, but I did sleep at a holiday inn last night. Contact the proper person at the wife's employer. They provide bulk customers to the agency that set her up w/ this. You'll have your money back in no time. .. pretty sure.. ????

She's spent the money....... Iike the Thai guy who smashed into back of my pick up truck   with no Insurance,  i took him to court  he pleaded,  " I have no money,   and no job"..i ended up  paying for my own truck to be fixed.... 65.000baht, ....That was not the first time this has happened too ...

• Confused 1

On 1/16/2021 at 7:31 AM, PGSan said:

Please can you tell us which law this is? 

On 1/16/2021 at 7:33 AM, jomtienisgood said:

Murphy's Law..

And as a last resort Sods Law usually does the trick...:clap2:

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, actonion said:

She's spent the money....... Iike the Thai guy who smashed into back of my pick up truck   with no Insurance,  i took him to court  he pleaded,  " I have no money,   and no job"..i ended up  paying for my own truck to be fixed.... 65.000baht, ....That was not the first time this has happened too ...

Big problem in Thailand no insurance it happened to me mine 100k and he did a runner, he was seen so we was able to track him down and his family paid, 

• 2 weeks later...
19 minutes ago, London Boy said:

It happened to me just recently in August 2020. Despite living at the condo for 4 years I just knew I wouldn't get my deposit (฿30,000  2 months rent) due to the landlady's attitude to money i.e she just wouldnt pay for ny maintence. I spoke to a lawyer friend before I moved out and he told me that I was unlikely to get my depsoit back, unless I took her to court. So I refused to pay the last month rent and last two months electricty bill. She got really nasty and got a police order to evict me after 18 days of no rent. I had already bought my own place by then so it didnt bother me, and I moved into an AIRBNB across the road, temporarily until my new place was ready. But It did get me alot of satisfaction that I didnt let her just steal my depsoit without some comeback. The last three days living there I just left the a/c on constantly. A bit immature I know, but you reap what you sow

I got metaphorically shouted down on here when I suggested that this was common occurrence, and it most certainly is.  Many Thai landlords are no better than thieves, out to make easy money for little effort. 

Edited by Pilotman
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

5 minutes ago, Pilotman said:

I got metaphorically shouted down on here when I suggested that this was common occurrence, and it most certainly is.  Many Thai landlords are no better that thieves, out to make easy money for little effort. 

I couldn't agree more. I know the outcome and so took action to protect myself. I still lost 15,000 but better then 30,000 and glad I wasnt a victim of her greed by naively trying to take some moral high ground

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 1/18/2021 at 9:18 AM, actonion said:

Iike the Thai guy who smashed into back of my pick up truck   with no Insurance,  i took him to court  he pleaded,  " I have no money,   and no job"..i ended up  paying for my own truck to be fixed.... 65.000baht, 

You had to pay B65k, didn't you have insurance either?

On 1/31/2021 at 1:11 PM, moontang said:

I have even refused to pay hotel deposits, on rooms booked through Agoda.  Yesterday, in fact.  Well known hotel on Sukhumvit.. told me 1000...i told them nothing in the confirmation stated that, nothing on the voucher.  Offered my visa card that I paid for the room with.. nope (they know it is much harder to scam a US Visa cardholder).  Then I said, I would simply take a refund, and not check in.  Of course not... and it is that exact refusal to give a refund that makes me refuse to give them a deposit. I was 10 seconds from calling 1155 for the first time in 23 years a few weeks ago at a hotel in HH.  Can be difficult to tell when they are playing dumb, because they act dumb so frequently, but I did get my 500 back, and will never return to their thriving hotel running at 5% occupancy. But yesterday, was even  more annoying, and the koont made some snide remark about me not having money.  I told her I had plenty, and one reason was because I didn't give it to liars and thieves. 

Well the fact is these hotels have been caught scamming the government on hand-outs for occupancy scheme it had. Damn sure they will try it on with tourists.. candy from a baby 

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, pixelaoffy said:

Never rent from private owned owners. rent from serviced apartments who deal with many tenants on a regular basis When you are screwed this way you have to hire a lawyer and then you get screwed again. No rights for tenants in Thailand

Quite a bit of truth to that, but I hate getti g screwed on much needed electric. The reputable serviced apartments do settle up quickly, though. 

• Like 1