Scottish nationalists set for record majority, boosting independence push

snoop1130

14 minutes ago, RuamRudy said:

Why does the burning of the union flag, stupid and immature as it is, indicate a dislike of English people? The union flag is not the flag of England. Do you really need to be told that?

Finally you acknowledge that this is all to do with the UK and nothing to do with England as a single entity.

Thanks.

10 minutes ago, vogie said:

Where did I say it was the English flag, it was done to provoke the Unionists and thus add further hatred amongst the Scots.

But you agree with the rest of my post?

So why do you talk about byre dwellers, blue faces etc if not to whip up hatred? Why is your signature written with the inclusion of Scots if not to rankle? As for the posts of others, I have no idea of the posts to which you refer. I have observed plenty Brexiteers posting about traitors though - plus a lot worse. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, youreavinalaff said:

Lots of questions being avoided here.

Let me, please, ask one simple question.

If/when indyref2 happens, do the people following this thread feel that will be the final decision? Would everyone accept the decision either way? I, for one, would. If the Scots voted "leave" then go. If " remain" then stay. 

I can't see those in favour of "leave" giving such a clear cut answer.

But that is what happened in 2014 - we lost and we are still in the UK. We have already demonstrated that we will abide by the results. Nowhere did it say that we must give up the fight but we have abided by the result. If we have indyref2 and we lose a second time, there will be no insurrection and no UDI - there will be me and others campaigning democratically for indyref3. Hopefully, though, that won't be necessary.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, youreavinalaff said:

Finally you acknowledge that this is all to do with the UK and nothing to do with England as a single entity.

Thanks.

As it is independence from the UK that is the objective, I am surprised that there was any other interpretation. Of course, the majority of people resident in the UK live in England, so it has the lion's share of the power and tends to send the country in the direction it chooses, but that is an inescapable factor of the union, and the factor that makes things so unequal. 

• Like 1

Just now, RuamRudy said:

So why do you talk about byre dwellers, blue faces etc if not to whip up hatred? Why is your signature written with the inclusion of Scots if not to rankle? As for the posts of others, I have no idea of the posts to which you refer. I have observed plenty Brexiteers posting about traitors though - plus a lot worse. 

We are discussing the dislike of the English by the Nationalists and in all fairness it is not just the English they dislike Scots Unionists that doesn't vote their way, good grief RR they are toxic.

It must be about time to let your evidence you have on me out for another airing, would it not?????????????

36 minutes ago, youreavinalaff said:

If/when indyref2 happens, do the people following this thread feel that will be the final decision?

Why are you Englanders so obsessed with restricting the Scottish people’s sovereignty? 

Would everyone accept the decision either way?

What do you wanna do? Stamp your feet and scream “but this will be the last time we let them vote”? 

Edited by welovesundaysatspace
  • Haha 1

On 1/14/2021 at 12:16 PM, Hi from France said:

In case you do not know how democracy works, yes we are

We are in a world where the people are regularly called to evaluate their leaders and change them if they so wish. 

Surprisingly

Typical illiterate SNP .. Screw the people and destroy the country retort ... Once in a lifetime .. And we were lucky last time as oil prices dropped .. Scotland would have been owned by the Rothschild family now and the Krankie family living in Strathclyde Park living on Beans .... Stupid <deleted> SNP

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, vogie said:

We are discussing the dislike of the English by the Nationalists and in all fairness it is not just the English they dislike Scots Unionists that doesn't vote their way, good grief RR they are toxic.

It must be about time to let your evidence you have on me out for another airing, would it not?????????????

No need to go back more than a few post for that - why do you talk of byre dwellers, blue painty faces? Why do you mock the Scots language in your signature? 

• Like 1

Just now, vogie said:

For the same reason that Mrs Sturgeon has decided to waste tax payers money on road signs written in Gaelic that no-one understands and just confuses everybody. The money would have been better spent putting the signs up in Polish as there are more Polish speakers in Scotland than Gaelic speakers.

And I talk of blue painty faces because these are the people that want to partition Scotland, I have not made it up, it is reality, surely you must have seen them and if these people don't live in those houses mentioned, perhaps they should.

If the SNP wasn't so dangerous and irresponsible it would be so funny.

You mock the Scots language as a political statement opposing the decision of another country to support one of its indigenous languages? What a strange thing to get upset about. Why is it even slightly relevant to you? And why Scots to mock Gaelic?

Your derisive arrogance is as clear as your explanation is weak. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, RuamRudy said:

You mock the Scots language as a political statement opposing the decision of another country to support one of its indigenous languages? What a strange thing to get upset about. Why is it even slightly relevant to you? And why Scots to mock Gaelic?

Your derisive arrogance is as clear as your explanation is weak. 

No-one is mocking anyone, why put Gaelic signs up when nobody speaks it, apart from a handfull.

Be honest now, good idea or not.

I can just imagine the uproar in England if we started putting Latin on the road signs.

Edited by vogie
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, vogie said:

No-one is mocking anyone, why put Gaelic signs up when nobody speaks it, apart from a handfull.

I can just imagine the uproar in England if we started putting Latin on the road signs.

Of course it is a good idea - it is part of my country's culture and our heritage. But it still does not explain why you have Scots in your signature. I can think of no other reason than you want to mock Scottish people with it. And you call Scottish independence supporters divisive? 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, welovesundaysatspace said:

Exactly. As an EU member, the UK was a sovereign state that could freely decide when and how to leave. It doesn’t grant the same sovereignty to its own members. that’s what the argument is about. That Scotland and the Scottish people should be able to decide their fate themselves, but the UK wouldn’t let them. 

The UK-EU/ Scotland-UK analogy is misplaced. The EU is not a sovereign state and had no constitutional authority over the UK. Westminster has authority in all of the UK when it comes to constitutional matters. 

However, although the EU has no constitutional power to prevent member states holding membership referendums, I would question whether Brussels would sit idly by while states held numerous referendums on membership whenever they felt like it.

You have also suggested that Scotland (Holyrood) should be able to call referendums on independence as often and as frequently as it deems necessary. I disagree. I had an exchange with @RuamRudy and others about this issue (around p.45 if memory serves; the details can be found there). However, the gist of my argument is that the rest of the UK are impacted by a Scottish independence referendum, and therefore Westminster must be involved in the process (including the timing).

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, welovesundaysatspace said:

To what question? And are you going to accept my opinion this time, or only once it complies with how you would answer it? ???? 

To the question that I asked and you avoided.

I totally accept anyone's opinion. The problem is when I ask a question and the opinion does not answer that question.

My question requires a simple one word answer. Not a beat around the bush because I don't want to answer and make myself foolish if the scenario should occur reply.

55 minutes ago, RuamRudy said:

Of course it is a good idea - it is part of my country's culture and our heritage. But it still does not explain why you have Scots in your signature. I can think of no other reason than you want to mock Scottish people with it. And you call Scottish independence supporters divisive? 

"Of course it is a good idea" will you be learning Gaelic anytime soon then, somehow I very much doubt it. I could understand it if lets say a certain percentage of the population spoke it, you may as well put tai-kadai up on the signs. And don't take everything so personal, my beef is with the nasty SNP, not the true Scots as you well know.

Sorry you have been offended by my signature, now you know how we feel everytime N Sturgeon blames everybody beside herself or her party. 

13 minutes ago, youreavinalaff said:

To the question that I asked and you avoided.

I didn’t. 

I totally accept anyone's opinion.

You didn’t. See here:

The problem is when I ask a question and the opinion does not answer that question.

My question requires a simple one word answer.

What you want to ask? 

1 hour ago, vogie said:

What are you on about.

in australia there are road signs in chinese, japanese. Restaurants in greek and italian, vietnamese.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

13 minutes ago, vogie said:

"Of course it is a good idea" will you be learning Gaelic anytime soon then, somehow I very much doubt it. I could understand it if lets say a certain percentage of the population spoke it, you may as well put tai-kadai up on the signs. And don't take everything so personal, my beef is with the nasty SNP, not the true Scots as you well know.

Sorry you have been offended by my signature, now you know how we feel everytime N Sturgeon blames everybody beside herself or her party. 

No, your beef is that a country should not decide what it wants, unless its england.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

10 minutes ago, Sujo said:

No, your beef is that a country should not decide what it wants, unless its england.

Actually, if you wish to speak about nations of the UK as separate entities, Scotland are the only one that has been given the chance to decide. Within the last few years anyway. They voted to remain in the union. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, youreavinalaff said:

Actually, if you wish to speak about nations of the UK as separate entities, Scotland are the only one that has been given the chance to decide. Within the last few years anyway. They voted to remain in the union. 

Which is what i said. After brexit, which has a huge impact on all countries they should be allowed a vote after brexit. 

Are you afraid if a country deciding if it wants to stay if even if you dont want it?

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, vogie said:

Much as I am sure that you would love Gaelic to be a dead language, I am happy to report that while small in numbers, it is thriving. The Scottish Government recently opened a new Gaelic Medium primary school in my home town and it is proving to be very popular, both with the children of locals and people who have relocated to the area. This is being replicated all across the country and Gaelic is being spoken from north to south. 

I know that this is also incredibly galling for the Scottish britnats who constantly spew their hatred at our culture. It is something that is both depressing and bewildering, how people can get so aggressive and hate-filled at the celebration and expression of their own heritage. Imagine being so self loathing that you despise any semblance of your traditions being followed today - what a sad way to live your life. 

As for my gaelic, it is not as strong as I would like but I did learn it in primary school. Sadly, my language skills have always been weak so I never paid enough attention at the time, something I now regret.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, RuamRudy said:

Much as I am sure that you would love Gaelic to be a dead language, I am happy to report that while small in numbers, it is thriving. The Scottish Government recently opened a new Gaelic Medium primary school in my home town and it is proving to be very popular, both with the children of locals and people who have relocated to the area. This is being replicated all across the country and Gaelic is being spoken from north to south. 

I know that this is also incredibly galling for the Scottish britnats who constantly spew their hatred at our culture. It is something that is both depressing and bewildering, how people can get so aggressive and hate-filled at the celebration and expression of their own heritage. Imagine being so self loathing that you despise any semblance of your traditions being followed today - what a sad way to live your life. 

As for my gaelic, it is not as strong as I would like but I did learn it in primary school. Sadly, my language skills have always been weak so I never paid enough attention at the time, something I now regret.

I have no problem with languages, I celebrate the Welsh for speaking their language, but the Scots are not renowned for being Gaelic speakers, why not wait untill you speak Gaelic before you put the signs up, cart before the horse springs to mind. When there is so much wrong with schools, health etc they put up signs nobody can read, instead of putting the money where it would be more deserved.

As I said my grandfather was born in the Gorbals, he fought in both world wars, he is well documented on the internet with medals as long as your arm, but I doubt that won't impress a lot on here. I still bare the family name which is related to the Stewart Clan, why would I say anything bad about decent Scots. What were the future founders of the SNP doing while he was fighting, well I won't embarrass you.

My grandmother was Welsh and she taught me Welsh from a very early age, so I will not call the Welsh either and to top it off I once ate a potato with an Irish coffee to get my Irish roots.

2 hours ago, vogie said:

Reminds of of when I crossed the Severn Bridge every day to work in Wales.  All the signs are in Welsh, followed by English.
Most of locals in South Wales can't read it either! 

1 minute ago, vogie said:

Scots are not renowned for being Gaelic speakers, 

Are you just stringing sentences together without actually thinking what they mean? You do know that Scots and Irish Gaelic are not the same language, don't you? 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, RuamRudy said:

Are you just stringing sentences together without actually thinking what they mean? You do know that Scots and Irish Gaelic are not the same language, don't you? 

What are you talking about, I never mentioned Irish Gaelic. You have had a long day RR, you have played your part well, maybe you need to rest now.????????