Scottish nationalists set for record majority, boosting independence push

snoop1130

23 minutes ago, RuamRudy said:

Good to see that the Welsh are increasingly shaking off this absurd notion that they are too small or too poor to be the masters of their own destiny. 10 years ago the SNP had 6 MPs - if they follow the same path that Scotland took, the Welsh have a very exciting, positive future ahead of them as an independent country. 

Welsh independence: More people in favour, Plaid say

The level of support for independence in Wales is similar to that in Scotland's a decade ago, Plaid Cymru's leader has claimed.

Adam Price told the BBC's Andrew Marr Show "more and more" people were supporting the idea because of the state of the economy and the level of inequality in Welsh society.

Mr Price said independence would put Wales "on a better path".

And what will they base their economy on? Coal?????????????. That's as absurd as Scotland planning to build off of oil.

Please note, I did not say I am against either Scotland or Wales being independent. Just saying their ideals are far from reality.

• Thanks 1

Just now, youreavinalaff said:

And what will they base their economy on? Coal?????????????. That's as absurd as Scotland planning to build off of oil.

Please note, I did not say I am against either Scotland or Wales being independent. Just saying their ideals are far from reality.

What ideals? What are they? If Wales has significant levels of poverty and inequality, that is down to the UK which has allowed that to happen. Nothing will change if they don't change things for themselves. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, RuamRudy said:

What ideals? What are they? If Wales has significant levels of poverty and inequality, that is down to the UK which has allowed that to happen. Nothing will change if they don't change things for themselves. 

You appear to be suffering from selective reading. Not the first time either.

1 hour ago, RuamRudy said:

Good to see that the Welsh are increasingly shaking off this absurd notion that they are too small or too poor to be the masters of their own destiny. 10 years ago the SNP had 6 MPs - if they follow the same path that Scotland took, the Welsh have a very exciting, positive future ahead of them as an independent country. 

The level of support for independence in Wales is similar to that in Scotland's a decade ago, Plaid Cymru's leader has claimed.

Adam Price told the BBC's Andrew Marr Show "more and more" people were supporting the idea because of the state of the economy and the level of inequality in Welsh society.

When are you going to shake off the notion that the Scots and Welsh are victims? It really is pathetic. The UK is a fantastic country that works well for all four nations. It affords all citizens the chance of a decent education, decent free healthcare and a decent standard of living. What more do you want?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, NiceGuyEddy said:

When are you going to shake off the notion that the Scots and Welsh are victims? It really is pathetic. The UK is a fantastic country that works well for all four nations. It affords all citizens the chance of a decent education, decent free healthcare and a decent standard of living. What more do you want?

Let's not get ahead of ourselves here. I am more than happy to return to your question later, but we have been waiting breathlessly all day for your great reveal - this constant barrage of Anti-English propaganda from the SNP. Go on, share with us these terrible slurs that they issue constantly. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, RuamRudy said:

Let's not get ahead of ourselves here. I am more than happy to return to your question later, but we have been waiting breathlessly all day for your great reveal - this constant barrage of Anti-English propaganda from the SNP. Go on, share with us these terrible slurs that they issue constantly. 

I haven't got time to document it for you, but you know it's there. The SNP and their fanatical members are toxic, and I just hope that they never achieve their goal of dividing and splitting apart this wonderful country of ours.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, NiceGuyEddy said:

I haven't got time to document it for you, but you know it's there. The SNP and their fanatical members are toxic, and I just hope that they never achieve their goal of dividing and splitting apart this wonderful country of ours.

That's a bit of a pathetic cop-out from you there, Ed old chap. This morning there was a constant barrage of anti - English propaganda yet now you can't offer a single example? One might be forgiven for thinking you were taking bollards, no? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, RuamRudy said:

If Scottish Independance was every a bad idea, Welsh indepence would be a terrible idea.

Most of Welsh economy is based around South Wales, the M4 motorway specifically (which is critical to the Welsh economy, and the Welsh don't want to expand it, or bypass it due to the Brnglass tunnels, despite funds available from UK) where the biggest cities are, Newport, Cardiff + Swansea.

There is a massive UK investment of jobs in South Wales, Office for National Statistics, Patent Office, DVLA, Companies House - just off the top of my head.   All these would have to relocate the England, at the expense of Welsh jobs.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, RuamRudy said:

That's a bit of a pathetic cop-out from you there, Ed old chap. This morning there was a constant barrage of anti - English propaganda yet now you can't offer a single example? One might be forgiven for thinking you were taking bollards, no? 

"COP-OUT" yet you refuse to answer his question.????????????????????

• Like 1

1 hour ago, youreavinalaff said:

"COP-OUT" yet you refuse to answer his question.????????????????????

I haven't refused to answer anything, but I requested that he clarify first the claim of a constant barrage of anti-English propaganda. It seems that despite the barrage being constant, he cannot name a single one. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, youreavinalaff said:

Now is later. Go ahead. Answer his question.

Indeed, I shall - but let me ask you fist: do you agree with Niceguy's assertion that the Scottish Government issues a constant barrage of anti-English propaganda, or do you agree with me that he is talking out of his hat?

Now, to the question in hand:

21 hours ago, NiceGuyEddy said:

What more do you want?

The answer is simple: to make our own choices about the direction we wish our country to go in. 

If you wish me to add context, I can use his rant for that purpose:

The UK is a fantastic country that works well for all four nations.

This is clearly a subjective take, and I am sure you will find people in all four nations who would disagree. It just so happens that more than 50% of the electorate in Scotland also disagree.

It affords all citizens the chance of a decent education, decent free healthcare and a decent standard of living.

These conditions are not unique to the UK. In fact, there are other countries that do far better on all these measures and more. So, to suggest that it is only the benevolence of the union that affords us them is, at best, nonsense, at worst, grossly unwarranted arrogance. The reality is that we can have all of these things ourselves, as well and maybe even better, but without the negatives that come by being ruled by Westminster. 

Now - I await somebody, anybody to show me this constant barrage of anti-english propaganda from the Scottish Government. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, NiceGuyEddy said:

Incorrect! The result of the independence referendum was 55/45 against the nationalists. You lost. I know it stings, I felt the same kid of pain after the Brexit referendum, but you have to move on. The results of some Mickey Mouse pollster on twitter does not matter. The result of the referendum in 2014 is the one that matters.

I am glad to see that you have time on your hands to tell Scots what form of democracy they must accept. 

Now, can you tell us all about this constant barrage of anti-English propaganda you mentioned? 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

6 minutes ago, RuamRudy said:

I am glad to see that you have time on your hands to tell Scots what form of democracy they must accept. 

Now, can you tell us all about this constant barrage of anti-English propaganda you mentioned? 

Democracy is respecting the result of a 'once-in-a-generation' independence referendum. End of story. 

Edited by NiceGuyEddy
  • Like 1

40 minutes ago, NiceGuyEddy said:

Democracy is respecting the result of a 'once-in-a-generation' independence referendum. End of story. 

Of course the result is respected. We are still in the UK. If you want us to be quiet and stop debating better options, that is the complete opposite of democracy. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, RuamRudy said:

Of course the result is respected. We are still in the UK. If you want us to be quiet and stop debating better options, that is the complete opposite of democracy. 

That's fantastic. Would you mind letting the SNP know that? Because, honestly, it appears from outside that their only goal is breaking up the UK rather than building a better one.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, NiceGuyEddy said:

That's fantastic. Would you mind letting the SNP know that? Because, honestly, it appears from outside that their only goal is breaking up the UK rather than building a better one.

I never said that the withdrawal of Scotland from the UK is off the table. Clearly it is seen as a preferable option by the majority. You may disbelieve the polls (the very basis for your particular thread) but we will see soon enough. 

As for building a better UK, that's the fundamental issue - i don't see any prospect of a UK government wanting to do that. It seems I am not alone in that observation. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

17 minutes ago, RuamRudy said:

I never said that the withdrawal of Scotland from the UK is off the table. Clearly it is seen as a preferable option by the majority. You may disbelieve the polls (the very basis for your particular thread) but we will see soon enough.

What this whole thing boils down to is that you, along with your SNP mates, do not respect the democratic decision that the majority of the Scottish electorate made in their referendum in 2014. I pity what an independent Scotland would be with the likes of you and your lot in charge.

• Thanks 2

30 minutes ago, NiceGuyEddy said:

What this whole thing boils down to is that you, along with your SNP mates, do not respect the democratic decision that the majority of the Scottish electorate made in their referendum in 2014. I pity what an independent Scotland would be with the likes of you and your lot in charge.

That the majority of the Scottish electorate have changed their minds is entirely their right to do, no matter how much of a hissy fit you might throw. 

Its democracy in action, even if you cannot see it or choose not to believe it. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, RuamRudy said:

That the majority of the Scottish electorate have changed their minds is entirely their right to do, no matter how much of a hissy fit you might throw. 

Its democracy in action, even if you cannot see it or choose not to believe it. 

I'm bored with you now.

46 minutes ago, NiceGuyEddy said:

I'm bored with you now.

Does that mean that you are not going to enlighten us with your examples of the constant barrage of anti-English propaganda that the SNP apparently issues? And here I was, expecting a big reveal any moment... 

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, welovesundaysatspace said:

No, it’s not, you just made that up. It certainly wasn’t the case when the EU did not tell the UK that democracy is to respect the result of the once-in-a-lifetime referendum they had in the 70ies. It certainly isn’t the case when you elect a new government every four years. 

LOL! 40 years between referendums seems about right to me.

28 minutes ago, NiceGuyEddy said:

I'm not even sure what point you are trying to make, but whatever dude.

You demand the Scottish people should be denied a vote because you consider it democracy when you can only vote once in 40 years. I pointed out that your definition of democracy is nothing the Scottish people need to care about. 

1 minute ago, welovesundaysatspace said:

You demand the Scottish people should be denied a vote because you consider it democracy when you can only vote once in 40 years. I pointed out that your definition of democracy is nothing the Scottish people need to care about. 

No, sorry. Still no clue.