Going from extension of stay based on OA (retirement) to Non-Imm O based on marriage

1 hour ago, ubonjoe said:

You just have to apply for an extension of stay based upon marriage instead of retirement.

So I would wait until the normal end of my current extension of stay and then just show IO my marriage documents and proof of baht 400K baht instead of the docs/evidence I had been using before?  If I had been using 65K international transfers for the OA-based extension, should I continue to make those until the new marriage-based extension is granted?

2 minutes ago, JTXR said:

So I would wait until the normal end of my current extension of stay and then just show IO my marriage documents and proof of baht 400K baht instead of the docs/evidence I had been using before? 

Yes but the 400k baht needs to be in the bank for 2 months.

2 minutes ago, JTXR said:

If I had been using 65K international transfers for the OA-based extension, should I continue to make those until the new marriage-based extension is granted?

You could use the transfers to apply for the extension based upon marriage since the are more than 40k baht a month.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, JTXR said:

If I had been using 65K international transfers for the OA-based extension, should I continue to make those until the new marriage-based extension is granted?

Yes...to prove you had not violated the terms of your current retirement extension of stay.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, JTXR said:

If I get married (registered, etc.) how do I go about switching from my current NonImm OA-based extension of stay to a NonImm O based on marriage?

You don't need to change to O you can just change OA extension to marriage. Easy along as you have proof marriage.

Immigration have a sheet with all requirements.

I done it last year very easily.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, Pib said:

Yes...to prove you had not violated the terms of your current retirement extension of stay.

There seems to be some disagreement about that in another thread.  The terms of the extension of stay are only 65k transfers in each of the 12 previous months.  Unlike the 800K-in-the-bank method, there is nothing regarding the months after extension is granted.

Your questions have already been correctly answered in the previous posts.

To summarize:

1 - When you are legally married to a Thai national, you can when your current permission to stay based on your original Non Imm O-A Visa is due to expire, apply (in the 30 days before till actual expiry date) for the 1-year extension of stay based on that Non Imm O-A Visa, but this time for reason of MARRIAGE.

Note: When switching from a retirement extension to a marriage extension, your current permission to stay will not be extended from date of expiry, but will start from date of application.  So it is recommended not to apply too early for that 1-year extension of stay for reason of marriage, but do it say 1 week before expiry (giving you some time to collect any missing marriage extension documents IO might require).

2 - Immigration when handling your application, will first check whether in the 12 months preceding your application for that 1-year extension of stay for reason of marriage, that you fully met the requirements for your current retirement extension.  Hence the reason to continue transferring +65K every month as you have been doing.  

3 - When you also want to switch from your current monthly income transfer method (+65K) to the easier Fund-in-bank method you would need to ensure that you parked +400K on your personal Thai bank-account in the 2 months preceding the moment of your application for the 1-year extension of stay for reason of marriage.  You would also need to keep those +400K funds there during the 3-4 week 'under consideration' period, but once you did receive the 1-year permission to stay stamp in your passport, you are free to use those funds as you please.

Alternatively - when you do not want to park +400K for approx 3 months on your bank-account - you could simply continue using the monthly income transfer method, but for a marriage extension instead of +65K only +40K is required to be transferred each and every month (with foreign origins as well as the source of these funds proven). 

4 - Be aware that the 1-year extension of stay for reason of marriage, also requires you to provide evidence that you are still married to your Thai wife (check out the 'marriage extension requirements' that your local IO imposes), and that you are living together on the same address.  During the 'under consideration' period Immigration might visit you at that address to check this. 

5 - Congrats with your upcoming marriage and success with your subsequent marriage extension application!

Edited by Peter Denis
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, ripstanley said:

The best advice is to go to your local office and ask what they require. They will be the ones issuing the extension and a lot of offices have different rules. Good luck.

Knowledge is power. Best to know as much as you can before asking questions of authority I think. 

It allows one to ask narrowly defined specific questions that have an impact on your particular situation and decreases your risk of misunderstanding answers. 

But that's just me. 

• Like 1