Scum In Toilet?

I am constantly cleaning my toilet bowl. A brown scum builds up where the water sits and builds up very rapidly. I use the blue flush cake things but it doesn't stop the build up.

Anybody know how to stop/slow down this nasty scum?

Paul Allen

large cash injection into filtering your water supply may help ................................

Spot on.Need to filter filter filter. Imagine what it's doing to your shower heads or appliances that use water?

to remove the scum pour a can of Coke or Pepsi into the toilet bowl and let stand over night.

The Acid will eat away the scum. Flush in the morning and Vola clean bowl!

The scum is most probably from the iron in the water.Nothing a quick swipe with a toilet brush won't fix.

I am constantly cleaning my toilet bowl. A brown scum builds up where the water sits and builds up very rapidly. I use the blue flush cake things but it doesn't stop the build up.

Anybody know how to stop/slow down this nasty scum?

Paul Allen

Try VIXOL it will get rid of the stain,but it will return.As Rooo says it is the iron from the soil which gets into the wells.

Thanks everyone. I don't have a problem getting rid of it. It just builds up so fast. I like the idea of a water filter. I rent my house and it is a gamble if I'm going to stay in it for a prolonged period. Would hate to install and then move out 3 months later as I am sure they are quite expensive. Maybe I can get the landlord to pay for half.

Either way, thanks.

PA

Thanks everyone. I don't have a problem getting rid of it. It just builds up so fast. I like the idea of a water filter. I rent my house and it is a gamble if I'm going to stay in it for a prolonged period. Would hate to install and then move out 3 months later as I am sure they are quite expensive. Maybe I can get the landlord to pay for half.

Either way, thanks.

PA

get the land lord to pay half that a joke is it . go to water tech near bandon hospital take a couple of litres of your water with you and they will test it and price you for the correct filter system asthere are many different water catorgories on the island .they are not as exspensive as you might think :o

Either way, thanks.

PA

get the land lord to pay half that a joke is it . go to water tech near bandon hospital take a couple of litres of your water with you and they will test it and price you for the correct filter system asthere are many different water catorgories on the island .they are not as exspensive as you might think :o

By all means get Water Tech to test water BHT 500 or at Maenam which are better.DO NOT use Water Tech .I trusted they knew what they were doing.Sold me WRONG filtration system,wrong pumping system & AFTER SALES SERVICE? What's that?

Much wiser now,trusted people & thought they knew what they were doing.

The place in Maenam in the big purple grey building,are by far more knowledgable.

Edited by Rooo

to remove the scum pour a can of Coke or Pepsi into the toilet bowl and let stand over night.

There are proper toilet cleaning liquids that will do the same thing.

Check your local store or supermarket............

Please do not use my post to talk about soccer! I would rather watch the scum grow in my toilet that have to watch one of those BORING long games of people just kicking a ball around.

:o

BTW, my original question was how to STOP/SLOW the growth of the scum in my toilet not how to clean it.

Please do not use my post to talk about soccer! I would rather watch the scum grow in my toilet that have to watch one of those BORING long games of people just kicking a ball around.

:o

BTW, my original question was how to STOP/SLOW the growth of the scum in my toilet not how to clean it.

You got your answer, filter the water.

it is ironoxide very common nuisance in the south.

You got the anwer filtering! With Magnesite compound i the filter!

If the house is rented, why not simply ignore the "scum"?!

Or get a bordeaux, or dark blue colored toilet, wont show as much as in a white one...

cheers drom a long term samui resident

Instead of installing a large filtration system you might be able to get by with a small in-line filter that would not be expensive at all. You could install that between the wall and the line going into the tank. A few hundred baht at best, and if that doesn't do it you have lost very little. You could probably find something that would work at a Homepro or similar, or a good hardware store.

There are proper toilet cleaning liquids that will do the same thing.

Check your local store or supermarket............

Remember that whatever you put into the WC bowl will end up in the septic tank and can affect the operation of that unit which depends on bacterial action to digest the waste.

Google septic tank management and find out what you should and should not put into septic tanks.