Really Fed Up With .....

wineman

.... green water in my fish pond. I have to drain the thing out about every 10 days, and refill it.

I have been told it is is algae and that I should get some oxygenating plants. Does anybody know where I can get some please? I have tried aquarium shops, garden plant suppliers, but with no luck. The language barrier makes the task harder because I don't know what to ask for in Thai.

.... green water in my fish pond. I have to drain the thing out about every 10 days, and refill it.

I have been told it is is algae and that I should get some oxygenating plants. Does anybody know where I can get some please? I have tried aquarium shops, garden plant suppliers, but with no luck. The language barrier makes the task harder because I don't know what to ask for in Thai.

You have to install a biological filter. Google for making one yourself. Plenty of tips on the net and not so expensive to make.

cheers

onzestan

Easiest solution is to install a UV-filter. They are very efficient in reducing algae content.

Some more info at this link

The UV filters are normally available in the bigger pond/aquarium shops in Bangkok...

Correct, however UV filters are expensive and have a limited lifespan. You also kill off beneficial microbes that your plants need.

I have a pond of ca. 10 cubic meters and it has been clear from algae for nearly 6 years now with biological filter that I made myself for abt 700 baht in total.

Always welcome to come and have a look. I have Malawi's in my pond.

Cheers

onzestan

The aquarium shop on Threppasit Rd used to sell pond plants last time I went (a year ago ) and they spoke English

Yeah, you thought they were selling "blond pants" and wanted to try some on ! The looks on their faces as you started strapping plants to your waist must have been priceless ! :o

I actually thought having green water (especially in larger ponds) was beneficial to the fish, as it didn't heat up as much as a pond full of clear water would ? Not easy to see the fish of course, but at least they aren't being slow-boiled. :D

i tried everything including plants 85% of pond surface but until now no positive results. will have a look today at a UV-unit my pool contractor got as a sample from Bangkok. problem is that my fish pond is quite big (content 95m3). will install the 75/25watt model and hope for the best.

if i don't succeed i will bite the bullet, fill up my pond with soil and put lawn on it :o

post-35218-1178930117_thumb.jpg

post-35218-1178930134_thumb.jpg

I have a water fountain with about 1000 gallons of water. I have been using swimming pool chlorine with an algae control ( no fish). I also use a water filter that is made from a PVC “bucket” with a pump drawing the water from the bottom of the bucket and the interior of the bucket has plastic foam to clean the water with a plastic mesh over the top of the bucket to screen large debris. Every so often I use my power washer to spray the foam insert clean.

Jimpost-32989-1178938760_thumb.jpg

i tried everything including plants 85% of pond surface but until now no positive results. will have a look today at a UV-unit my pool contractor got as a sample from Bangkok. problem is that my fish pond is quite big (content 95m3). will install the 75/25watt model and hope for the best.

if i don't succeed i will bite the bullet, fill up my pond with soil and put lawn on it :o

wally,

give me a call and i can help you with it

jimmy

The aquarium shop on Threppasit Rd used to sell pond plants last time I went (a year ago ) and they spoke English

Thanks Kurgen. Can you give me a pointer as to wherabouts it is in Threppasit please?