TAT forced to face reality: more than a third of the Thai tourist industry has gone bust

rooster59

With all due respect to the fact that we are right in the fanciful figures spread around last week,

but before you Knock, knock too much, have a look at the other players on the world tourism stage

They are hurting just as much if not more as Thailand just seems to be more resiliant & has

the unbelievable habit of rising out of the ashes 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, ezzra said:

Well. allow tourists to come in following a proper PCR test, and if some have got the vaccine go easy on them and not this draconian 14 days incarceration costing lot of money, show flexibility and willingness to accommodate the above mentioned and oh yeah, stop silly tax on non existing tourist and things will get better...

And don't forget to give the holiday visitors plenty of funds to cover quarantine and loss of earnings when they get back to their own countries.......... 

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, Dialemco said:

The reality is there is unlikely to be any international tourism until last quarter of 2021 earliest. Meanwhile it is time to restructure to a more greener/leaner  tourism giving good value for money. Extend the visa waiver to 60 days and encourage return to land of smiles and welcome like it used to be.

Some of us did that many years ago already but we can not survive without customers with the country closed.

• Like 2

From what I can see there is no help from the government many business's have survived up to now and people have been subsidizing themselves so far hoping things would have got better, but they are not now the next wave of people are going under.

I know quite a few people in the tourist business and things are not looking good.

Right now as we speak I know somebody who is having to borrow 30 Million Baht to keep the bank away, 

4 hours ago, Skallywag said:

I would say more than 80% or 4/5 here in Pattaya.   

Government and police need to layoff at least half their staff and give that tax money back to those who have shut down and need sustenance.  

That will only serve to leave the mia-nois of those government and police guys destitute..

Another large group that will be in the doo-doo..

In Thailand, it doesnt matter if and where you shut down the gravy train..

Somewhere, someone is gonna miss out..

umm..on the gravy

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ChipButty said:

From what I can see there is no help from the government many business's have survived up to now and people have been subsidizing themselves so far hoping things would have got better, but they are not now the next wave of people are going under.

I know quite a few people in the tourist business and things are not looking good.

Right now as we speak I know somebody who is having to borrow 30 Million Baht to keep the bank away, 

Ur rigth.My wife is a cardealer..she have 4 shops in thailand.She never influated about the covid she says.The only thing is that more and more carbuyers cant get credit.But her sale is stable.Her last year profit was 128 million bath.Anyway she will move to norway with me.Her family will run her business in thailand.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Paul Henry said:

Never fear when the tourist industry opens up watch out. Price will go through the roof. Thai mentality is when business is down put up the price. 

already happening as far back as the first lockdown one bar I go in put the price of a glass of beer up 15 Baht, they had new menu's printed and up the prices.

Mackro put the price of beer up the other week.

Last week I've been looking for a cleaner for a 2 bedroom villa 2000 Baht they quoted me,

• Sad 1

5 minutes ago, KhaoNiaw said:

Car dealerships is an interesting one. I have an ex-girlfriend that's been in car sales for about 3 years. She had one of her best ever months in December, which surprised me. Also in my area, the main craft beer place with a big Thai clientele, was doing OK until the last round of restrictions. Not as good as before but busy weekends. My own daughter got laid off just after just starting a new job last year. She managed to find a couple of different temporary jobs in the food and hospitality business and has now ended up in a much better job than she was in before with a big company. I also know people in the tourism industry who are hurting but it seems quite localized and, outside of the tourism industry, a lot of businesses are coping for the moment. 

I understand what u wrote.My wifes workingdays is sometimes 20 hours..shes a workaholic..Last nigth i send her alone to the riverside to a nice hotel where she can rest.Anyway she brougth her laptop so she can take care her business.She admit shes wery tired..but cant stop.

19 minutes ago, ChipButty said:

already happening as far back as the first lockdown one bar I go in put the price of a glass of beer up 15 Baht, they had new menu's printed and up the prices.

Mackro put the price of beer up the other week.

Last week I've been looking for a cleaner for a 2 bedroom villa 2000 Baht they quoted me,

Anything with only two bedrooms cannot be call a "villa".

Just sayin' like......

• Confused 1

i think it should be clear to everyone now, that this country just obsessed with tourism. yes TAT questioned their venues which have TAT license. how about the rest: bars, restaurants, taxi and transport services, food shops....? everyone is suffering, stop pointing your policies to tourist oriented businesses, that's not the only businesses in Thailand in need of support

• Like 1

Me thinks someone/some team at TAT is also going to 'go bust' too. I mean 1/3 shut down, what nonsense is this?

Seriously though, if TAT knew the meaning of reality at all they would never have made ridiculous claims before.

• Like 1