TAT forced to face reality: more than a third of the Thai tourist industry has gone bust

rooster59

Latest local infections in Thailand today (Saturday 23rd) are 180 of which 163 were in Samut Sakhon, 9 in Bangkok and 5 in Samut Songkhram

That means only 3 in other provinces and I am guessing that Chonburi will be zero or one as it has been in the past 5 days.

The "red-zone" restrictions are not due to be reviewed until the end of the month, but with the inter-provincial travel ban in place is it not time to immediately open up local restaurants and shops for local people to use?  

It won't be much help but it may help a little

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, PETERTHEEATER said:

No stepping down, that's the cowards way out. Be a man, don the white formal uniform and fall on your ceremonial sword.

At the risk of repeating myself, I said exactly that recently. He and his utterly hapless and stunningly incompetent army have failed us once again, and he needs to admit the failure, apologize to the nation, and fall on his sword, metaphorically, by handing in his resignation, in utter humiliation. 

A speech to the nation. "I am so sorry. I could have stopped this from happening. Same goes for my health minister. We are both handing in our resignation, starting tomorrow. We really dropped the ball, and failed. It is the right thing to do. I now realize both myself and Anutin have been way over our heads, this entire time. We take responsibility. Forgive us, if u can, but we will never forgive ourselves for failing you, the people of Thailand. 

This all happened due to sheer stupidity and stunning greed. Thailand is really going into a world of hurt now. Tourism will not recover for years and domestic tourism just died. Millions of jobs lost. Samut Sakorn should have been locked down like the San Quentin, the same day this outbreak happened. Sure, the precious seafood industry would have been affected, but millions of jobs would have been saved, and the domestic tourism industry along with that. We all would have been happy to eat chicken for a few weeks! 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, rooster59 said:

A TAT survey between January 10 and 12 asked 1,884 businesses how they were getting along. 

That's nice of them.

of course no offer of any financial help, which is what these people really need.

Kind of similar to the job centre phoning you up when you have just been laid off, asking how things are going but then abruptly hanging up on you ???? 

• Thanks 2