TAT forced to face reality: more than a third of the Thai tourist industry has gone bust

rooster59

6 hours ago, bermondburi said:

TAT come out with these ideas to bring tourists back, but like you say, until the quarantine changes they aren't coming. I read one recently that people would come to Thailand for vaccination tours. Pay over the odds at a private thai hospital for a vaccination program but still including the quarantine. You just couldn't make it up. Who comes up with this stuff!? ???? Completely overlooking the fact that in most people's countries it's going to be free anyway, and they'll have had it way before Thailand gets any jabs, and NO ONE WANTS TO QUARANTINE!!! 

The problem is that people get their positions based NOT on competence but on who will pay the most for the job. Sad.

• Like 1

Oh it's done folks.  Everyone knew it but these people.  

The sad fact of the matter, is maybe 2023 things will start getting better.  We are still in the early days of the pandemic and have a long ways to go before anything turns to normal.  

The USA is now slapping down travel restrictions and you must quarantine 14 days when returning plus have a negative covid test before even getting on the plane.  It's a rotten virus - you can test negative, have it running in your system and spread it until up to 12 days later.  

This is only the start, and our talking about COVID are only just beginning.  Ugh!

• Like 1

The real crisis haven’t come to the doorstep yet.  Just wait until 2022.  In 2023 the real cheap land deals and buildings can be bought. 
It’s over and it’s about time people understand it. 

The word hope is never a part of any business strategy.  Hope and prayers belong to church only and not in real life strategies. 

8 hours ago, redwood1 said:

When 7-11s, Burger Kings, and Starbucks are closing down all over the place, the situation is not just bad its desperate and getting worse all the time.....Only removing all restrictions for tourist 100% could turn things around....

As I said in an earlier post, for me, it has nothing to do with restrictions.

Covid popping up all over the place and who knows exactly which areas are tested and which are not?

Air quality in Bangkok in pathetically poor.

Tons of businesses out of business.

Not a place I want to travel to at all in 2021.

Why would a tourist want to come to Thailand now amid all the uncertainty?

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Smilermike said:

Not only that . You have to now think of the retired foreigners living here. Many of which will return  to their origins or another country which are more motivated on attracting foreigners with more relaxed rules and prices.

Or the ones who have been waiting for a vaccine in their home countries who are coming to realize there is little left to return for.....especially if it entailed a 15 day quarantine ! I think most of the people who needed to get back to their families or jobs are already back there.

2 hours ago, BestB said:

Bank than my company has been with for 12 years advised “ we do not lend or provide any line of credit to any business tourism related”

thanks for nothing after 12 years 

soft loans supposedly provided by the government during first lockdown through SME bank , sorry you do not have enough profit . Well doh, if we did , we would not be needing loans.

BOT said soft loans for all affected , SME could not care less, where did 40-50 billion baht of governing soft loans gone ?

In someone's pocket to buy houses in America, UK or Australia.

When Thailand completely hits the skids, none of these corrupt politicians will be around to live through their self created destruction. 

It would have to be more than third, not to mention a considerable ripple effect outwards from the industry itself.

All the talk of a grand revival just around the bend only buys more time before having to start propping up the industry's employees and businesses, with

money that more than likely will never get approved by higher ups.

4 hours ago, KhaoNiaw said:

Car dealerships is an interesting one. I have an ex-girlfriend that's been in car sales for about 3 years. She had one of her best ever months in December, which surprised me. Also in my area, the main craft beer place with a big Thai clientele, was doing OK until the last round of restrictions. Not as good as before but busy weekends. My own daughter got laid off just after just starting a new job last year. She managed to find a couple of different temporary jobs in the food and hospitality business and has now ended up in a much better job than she was in before with a big company. I also know people in the tourism industry who are hurting but it seems quite localized and, outside of the tourism industry, a lot of businesses are coping for the moment. 

That is not even remotely true in any of the governments admissions, which we know are understated.

Ask yourself how well Thai Airways is coping? Or Thai Air Asia?

9 hours ago, Thaiwrath said:

Unfortunately, it looks like a lot more will be going bust.

There is no immediate help coming from T.A.T. or the "government" to help the smaller businesses within the tourist industry.

The tourist / hospitality  business industry .

Is looked upon by the ruling regime , as being of no importance ..

16 minutes ago, crobe said:

I agree with most of the posters on this thread - the mass tourism that we have seen in the past 5-10 years with cheap airline travel is not going to return quickly.

Not only are a lot of these cheap travel companies going bust, peoples expectations of having such holidays has been changed dramatically by this pandemic.

The first thing that will return will be business travel - meetings and conferences - which will be able to accommodate some of the newer restrictions, but still a lot of this will remain as "virtual" zoom meetings.

The fact is that around 70-75% of travel spend has disappeared in 2020 - and around the same amount of tourism businesses - that means the level of spending is equivalent to 30 years ago (1990) - think back to what Pattaya, Phuket and Samui looked like 30 years ago and that is the level of tourism that will be the starting point for any recovery.

These centers of tourism should not be just thinking about how they can attract the tourists again, they have to think about how they diversify the local economies away from tourism dependency.

pattaya 1990.jpg

great comment. ????

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Bobydog said:

Not me, I took my house off the market and cancelled my plans to retire in Thailand. 

i plan on going home in about a month to put my house on the market. going to ride out the next couple years here until the world starts again in like 2023 or 2024.  

the covid has been a blessing on my house value. everyone is scrambling back home to get their hands on a place just like mine. countryside with land wood lot and well. 1 hour from major city and 20 minutes to town. i am open to offers via TV.

never let a crisis go to waste and all that.  

Edited by mr mr

Regardless of the big tourist switch being turned on, No one is coming.

The millions of unemployed, the millions of people in financial debt, tens of thousands of parked airplanes, and the hassel of being exposed or subjected to more Immigration Visa scams/schemes? 

Now is the time to reform the draconian and antiquated laws. 

Go E-Government Now, before the percentages rise to 65 or 75% less tourism and less exports as well. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, bermondburi said:

Exactly. I'm based in Saudi most of the time. Take a PCR test before travelling. On arrival I have 8 hours to get to my home. At home I register my location on the government app. Selfisolate at home for 48 hours until I take a free test at a drive in government testing facility. Get a message on my phone the next day with the results. If it's negative I'm good to go anywhere. Infection rates have been stable for months now at around 100-200 cases a day since they opened the country up. It's only people living in the coconut shell that is thailand who believe the 14 day thing is the only way to go. It's not. There are other ways that work too. We just have to learn to live with this virus. 

Screenshot_20210123_113641.jpg

Screenshot_20210123_113700.jpg

Screenshot_20210123_113718.jpg

I didn’t have my glasses on and I thought this was the USD to THB chart.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, James HKT said:

Assuming they were registered businesses the business department would have contact details to go with their registration. 

True but that would only apply to the bigger operations. Many small scale "mom and pop" or "sole trader" businesses would be unlikey to be registered, especially in early years of trade or with low turnover and no need to register for VAT Tax etc.