Work Visa & Thai Social Security

57 minutes ago, stament said:

Is there a maximum age for foreigners with a work visa to be entitled to participate in a Thai company's social security scheme to enable them to benefit from health coverage?

Yes, there is.

If you enroll before your 60th birthday, they might take you on. But once you're 60, there's no chance. 

There have been foreigners who were lucky, but if you're working for a Thai company/school, they do not take you. 

40 minutes ago, teacherclaire said:

Yes, there is.

If you enroll before your 60th birthday, they might take you on. But once you're 60, there's no chance. 

There have been foreigners who were lucky, but if you're working for a Thai company/school, they do not take you. 

Do you mean that even if you obtain a work permit and visa and work for an organisation that has a social security scheme you are ineligible for the scheme as you are over 60 and hence can't avail the health benefits under SS?

2 hours ago, stament said:

Do you mean that even if you obtain a work permit and visa and work for an organisation that has a social security scheme you are ineligible for the scheme as you are over 60 and hence can't avail the health benefits under SS?

It might be different when working for an organization. My post was more about teaching in LOS, as the majority here are /were working as teachers.

But if you can't continue, keep your private SS by paying 438 baht.

I was trying to get back through employment at a school, but I had turned 60 a few days before. Nope, that's what they said.

Please take a Thai speaking person with you, most of them do not have English skills. 

The SS has paid at least 100 times more by now what I've paid so far. It would not be in my interest to be without that cover.

Some years ago, you could take the amount out and start over again that doesn't seem to work anymore. 

Just found the brochure in English, it's the newest. Please see attachment. I scanned it in, so you might have to use the right program to view it properly. Let me know if it doesn't work, please. 

socsec.pdf

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Please provide more info.

If have been working for same employer before age 60, they will continue to deduct & you remain on SS. In my case to 68.

They can legally refuse to do so after the age of 60 & will not normally if start to work at 60 +.

Thai official Government retirement age is 60

17 hours ago, natway09 said:

Please provide more info.

If have been working for same employer before age 60, they will continue to deduct & you remain on SS. In my case to 68.

They can legally refuse to do so after the age of 60 & will not normally if start to work at 60 +.

Thai official Government retirement age is 60

Who are you asking for more info and what specifically?  I'm the original poster, are you referring to me?

You mentioned that the government will not normally start if 60+ whereas some poster below says if you are already 60+ it's not possible to join the SS scheme.  

Thanks for your responses all