Two killed, several injured after ‘drunk’ foreigner crashes into motorcyclists in Hua Hin

webfact

7 hours ago, robblok said:

Some of the expats in Thailand love to imitate the locals and love their drink. A lot of those on the forum. Just look at the howls of displeasure when alcohol is banned for a day.

If guilty send him to jail and then ban him from entering Thailand. 2 people died and if he was drunk its an unforgiveable act.

I don't believe it's an imitation of the locals, though Thais do drink and drive. I believe for foreigners, it's going to a country with limited enforcement/resources with this issue after growing up in their own country where the law is applied correctly. What children do when standing in front of the cookie plate while their parents head is turned. In some states, if drunk, he'd be looking at 30 years. If it does turn out this was the work of a drunk the big difference here is that western education is supposed to be so much more superior that you would think the person would know the difference between right and wrong, though an addict is an addict whether it's yaba or wine.. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, PatOngo said:

Forget the facts!  Forget beyond reasonable doubt! The judge and jury have jumped to a lightning conviction!????

Yes because that's realy how things work here in thailand . Ok if not drunk he should be punished for recless driving , if he got unwell he still should be prosecuted for harm done BUT if DRUNK as the article says JAIL FOR LIFE NO PITY . maybe this is more clear to you , i just reacted to what the aticle says and that says he was DRUNK . 

1 minute ago, TKDfella said:

My condolences to the victims families. If drunk and with two dead...life in jail.

"If"..........."If" a motorcycle had only one wheel, would it be a unicycle? "If"! Let the courts decide!

• Sad 1

7 minutes ago, from the home of CC said:

western education is supposed to be so much more superior that you would think the person would know the difference between right and wrong

I think for some the education (drivers education) matters little. The same people who drive drunk in Thailand would also do so in their home countries if they thought they could get away with it (actually many do get away with it until they are caught or have an accident). 

1 minute ago, Nanaplaza666 said:

i just reacted to what the article says and that says he was DRUNK . 

Journalistic speculation! What was the breathalyser reading??? I don't for one minute condone what the driver has done but speculation has absolutely NO MEANING!

• Like 1

"If"..........."If" a motorcycle had only one wheel, would it be a unicycle? "If"! Let the courts decide!

What??? Please get your conditionals separated from definitions. The 'if' in my comment is a conditional depending, in this case, what the authorities decide on evidence provided. Your 'if's are about definition.

• Like 1

Journalistic speculation! What was the breathalyser reading??? I don't for one minute condone what the driver has done but speculation has absolutely NO MEANING!

Again i just reacted to the article saying he was drunk and if he wasn't and it was something else , ofcourse he should get his chance in court or wherever . BUT as you say i do not give a flying !@#$ if he WAS drunk and will go to jail for the rest of his misserable life . Not speculating just saying what i think should be done if he realy was drunk . 

12 minutes ago, TKDfella said:

what the authorities decide on evidence provided.

That is what matters!

12 minutes ago, 4MyEgo said:

The heading did say: 

Two killed, several injured after ‘drunk’ foreigner crashes into motorcyclists in Hua Hin

But the news article didn't say anything further about the driver being drunk, hence my post, and patient I am, no need to be boasting how big your grandma's nuts are ????

Read the post, I said "if" my grandmothers..................! No boasting there at all!

Edited by PatOngo

1 minute ago, richard_smith237 said:

I think for some the education (drivers education) matters little. The same people who drive drunk in Thailand would also do so in their home countries if they thought they could get away with it (actually many do get away with it until they are caught or have an accident). 

I agree with the drivers education business. I was referring more to the ability to reason generally.  Drunks (some) are scared off the roads in the west due to heavy penalty. Some reason it isn't worth it. But put them here where enforcement is spotty and people die. The Thais need to check folks for prior DUI's before allowing them entry, that might help.. 

1 minute ago, from the home of CC said:

The Thais need to check folks for prior DUI's before allowing them entry, that might help.. 

How would that work with visa exempt or visa on arrival??? "Have you ever been arrested for DUI farang?" "Ah, no officer". "Ok then, entry is granted"!

8 minutes ago, PatOngo said:

They are a tad bored..the "outrage" needs to be maintained.

'Le Cafard'* being the almost universal mental state of "farangs" in Thailand.

We will be able to judge the situation once the facts emerge.

*Le cafard-imagine being stuck in a foreign legion outpost and arguing about the prettiest camel in the relief column....

• Like 2

You guys are mostly reacting out of anger i think.

It will totally depend on how much money this guy has in regards to his sentence.

In Thailand if you can satisfy the family financially the judge may be lenient.

don't forget this is Thailand.

• Like 1

Just now, PatOngo said:

How would that work with visa exempt or visa on arrival??? "Have you ever been arrested for DUI farang?" "Ah, no officer". "Ok then, entry is granted"!

It can be done. If you have a dui on your record you probably will be refused entry if you come to my country. They have enough drunks on the road, they don't need more. 

8 hours ago, robblok said:

Some of the expats in Thailand love to imitate the locals

Yes, back in farang utopia they drank nothing stronger than Earl Grey tea, were all choir boys and first learned of the demon rum by imitating the locals. 

whatever happens, here at TV someone can always trace the fault back to Thais. 

1 minute ago, jvs said:

You guys are mostly reacting out of anger i think.

It will totally depend on how much money this guy has in regards to his sentence.

In Thailand if you can satisfy the family financially the judge may be lenient.

don't forget this is Thailand.

same system in many countries. Better than just cops, judges and lawyers getting rich..

2 minutes ago, from the home of CC said:

It can be done. If you have a dui on your record you probably will be refused entry if you come to my country. They have enough drunks on the road, they don't need more. 

How? Do the local immigration keep you waiting (and the rest of the plane load) till the office in your country opens and they can call to check??? ???? Think about it!

7 hours ago, robblok said:

It shows the dependance of the local farangs to alcohol. Do you really think that with such a high dependency not many would drink and drive. There are even more then a few people on the forum who admit to it. 

Quoting things like bad public transportation or high price of taxi (i mean if you can drink you can pay a taxi)

Totally irresponsible.

This incident is sad enough. If a judge is required then the law will provide one, so why not just leave it at that and let them get on with it.

• Like 1