Changing motorcycle owner - required inspection?

AndyAndyAndy

Reading requirements for changing of motorcycle owner everybody mentions "inspection". Does it mean that to change an owner, motorcycle has to be fully in working order? Do they like check lights etc.? Anybody has an experience?

I don't understand it in scenarios like buying and old motorcycle. Or crashed motorcycle. Do I have to first put XXX,XXX Baht into that bike under somebody else name. And only after that being able to change it to my name? Or be told that there is some problem and bike can't be transferred?

16 hours ago, Kwasaki said:

Well I bought an old bike and got the bike up and running lights, horn etc,etc and got all paper ready to change name from previous owner.

All they did on inspection at DLT was check the engine number & chassis number was same as in the book.

They didn't check anything else.

I think it's when you go to renew the road tax that they inspect things like the horn and running lights (if the bike is over 5 years old). A friend of mine bought a second-hand motorbike a few months back, no problem to change the owner but when he went this week to renew the road tax the guy at the inspection refused to pass the vehicle because the rear had been modified. 

17 hours ago, AndyAndyAndy said:

Reading requirements for changing of motorcycle owner everybody mentions "inspection". Does it mean that to change an owner, motorcycle has to be fully in working order? Do they like check lights etc.? Anybody has an experience?

I don't understand it in scenarios like buying and old motorcycle. Or crashed motorcycle. Do I have to first put XXX,XXX Baht into that bike under somebody else name. And only after that being able to change it to my name? Or be told that there is some problem and bike can't be transferred?

35 minutes ago, nahkit said:

I think it's when you go to renew the road tax that they inspect things like the horn and running lights (if the bike is over 5 years old). A friend of mine bought a second-hand motorbike a few months back, no problem to change the owner but when he went this week to renew the road tax the guy at the inspection refused to pass the vehicle because the rear had been modified. 

Yeah well I'm lucky with my old bike Thais wouldn't know what the original bike of mine looked liked anyway so I think it gets a pass as it did before for 18 years, it was off road for 6.1/2 years and now 27 years old and have just tax and insured recently.  

3 hours ago, Kwasaki said:

it was off road for 6.1/2 years and now 27 years old and have just tax and insured recently.  

I thought the registration was lost if it wasn't taxed for longer than 3 years?  Is there some way of keeping it going?  In the UK we can declare a vehicle SORN - Statutory Off Road Notice.

1 hour ago, KhaoYai said:

I thought the registration was lost if it wasn't taxed for longer than 3 years?  Is there some way of keeping it going?  In the UK we can declare a vehicle SORN - Statutory Off Road Notice.

After 3 years of no tax you'll need to get a new book. I did it last year about 5000 baht

• Thanks 1