Forum maintenance tonight from approx. 11pm - 1.30am ×

Don't blame beer and alcohol for Covid, says Thailand’s craft beer producers

webfact

20 minutes ago, Slain said:

Shouting over loud music or even the general noise level of a drinking establishment will enable small particles from your mouth to spread far more than is normal. Also it is a known drug to make people more touchy feely and want to be closer to others like many other drugs do.

Small valve in mask + drinking straw + string telephone = COVID-safe drinking.

Sorted

• Haha 2

10 hours ago, webfact said:

They Have to Blame someone ,they just can't Blame the incompetents of the Border control and the Mismanagement of the Government can they.

2 hours ago, Thaiophil said:

I haven’t seen a shred of evidence from anywhere that alcohol bans reduce Covid

Right now I can be in close consort with a (boran) masseuse for an hour or a tattoo artist for half a day, but am not allowed a beer even at an outdoor table. How does that make sense?

No one has blamed beer for causing covid19 only the ones who after a few to many refuse to use masks and disobey social distancing.

The blame for damage to the craft beer industry lies squarely with the Thailand alcohol monopoly.   Anybody that thinks they can't get the laws the want to regulate competition out of business is out of touch with reality.  Anybody who wants to see a thriving craft beer industry here should boycott all products made by Boon Rawd Brewery and Thai Beverage Public Company Limited and any of its subsidiaries owned by Charoen Sirivadhanabhakdi.  THOSE are the folks that are to blame.  They hate competition.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Thaiophil said:

I haven’t seen a shred of evidence from anywhere that alcohol bans reduce Covid

Right now I can be in close consort with a (boran) masseuse for an hour or a tattoo artist for half a day, but am not allowed a beer even at an outdoor table. How does that make sense?

A big difference between a 1 on 1 (with a mask or without) and a gathering of many people without masks whose judgment is impaired don't you think ? You can't say it is ok in this instance (such as on my own on an outdoor table) but not in another as it would be unworkable.

I think they're being silly. Obviously the problem isn't with alcohol in itself, but with socializing while drinking. I've tested that on myself, hanging out drinking with friends (while it was allowed, of course). It's just not compatible with social distancing and cannot really be made "safe".

That's why I disagreed with the general alcohol sales ban during last year's first lockdown, and also disagree with banning alcohol in quarantine outright. I do agree with the bar closures, on the other hand, much as I dislike them myself.

2 hours ago, Pilotman said:

Thailand 'craft beer'; really?

Is that some kind of a sick joke comment?   What 'craft beer'  would that be then, in terms of the definition as understood by we mature, knowledgeable  and experienced  beer drinkers from  the UK?  US citizens need not comment. 

I just  preserve this.  Your ignorance is obvious. I would guess you've never been to US and no way you could have tried even 2% of beers from our new craft brewers. 

9 hours ago, DLock said:

No one dies on the roads, gets beaten up, gets pregnant, wakes up with a ladyboy or falls asleep behind a dumpster from drinking beer either...

...but it sure contributes.

Sorry to hear that, but if I was you I would refrain from alcohol... 

Edited by Jiggo
Spelling

52 minutes ago, stuandjulie said:

A big difference between a 1 on 1 (with a mask or without) and a gathering of many people without masks whose judgment is impaired don't you think ? You can't say it is ok in this instance (such as on my own on an outdoor table) but not in another as it would be unworkable.

Blanket restrictions which harm the economy should be based on evidence not on what politicians or you or I think.

Again, I have seen no actual evidence that alcohol bans make any difference. Most provincial governors have lifted tgem

2 hours ago, hotchilli said:

So one has to ask why is craft beer not freely available in all shops, online should be available too?

Bars were not allowed to open because of person to person contact which is understandable.

Restaurants can sell food and Coca Cola but not beer. Please explain.

11 hours ago, webfact said:

1pm.jpg

Picture: Daily News

Thailand's craft beer producers are furious that they are losing money while they are unable to sell their product freely.

And they want to be able to resume online sales that were banned recently.

They say alcohol is being made a scapegoat for the spread of Covid and ills in society for no good reason. 

Members of the association of craft been manufacturers presented a letter outlining their demands at the Ministry of Public Health yesterday.

In a show of annoyance they tipped beer into a wheelie bin. A collection of beer bottle spelled PHE- the Thai word for goat. Placards drew attention to bars being forced to close early and 7-11 being open 24 hours.

news_tXKwWxvueG143621_533.jpg

"Phe....bottles suggest beer is the scapegoat"

Picture: Daily News

Chief of the association Achirawat Wannasrisawat said that craft beer was a product with a high capital investment that could not be kept for long. Like pasteurized milk it would go off quickly. 

Much of his members' product has had to be jettisoned because orders are non-existent for restaurants and bars in Bangkok and the surrounding areas who have not been able to sell. Losses are at 90%.

"We have been treated as scapegoats," he told reporters. "It's always alcohol to blame for everything. No one gets Covid from drinking beer".

He called for the chance to sell beer freely in bars and restaurants saying that it was better to have it out in the open where it could be regulated than drive it underground. 

"It is people gathering that cause Covid, not beer" he suggested. 

In some places and at some times food can be served but not alcohol, this is seen by producers as ridiculous.

Among their demands is also an end to the ban on online sales. They plan to go to the customs and excise department next to get their tax back. 

Meanwhile the authorities received their complaint with MOPH ministerial aide Dr Rungreuang Kitphati saying that public health was the number one priority. 

The matter of online sales was a matter for different laws, it was suggested. 

The protest mainly centered on grievances based on the currents situation in Bangkok and the surrounding provinces where restrictions lifted in other places remain in place. 

Source: Daily News

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2021-02-02

I  so agree with this!!!  Refusing the sale of wine and beer is the demonizing of something  which is a very common libation with food around the world.  It relegates Thailand into a very small-minded attitude towards hospitality and any bar-keeper and dining establishment in this country knows this. It is immensely frustrating.  Leave it up to the barkeepers and restauranteurs to 'police' their own establishments.  They know how to do that - keep it out of the political 'grand mandates' which close down hundreds of establishments which could otherwise remain economically healthy. If you look at it, Thailand is now in a very 'unhealthy' state of small business economy and this is caused by these political mandates... ie. the many suffer for the few.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Snig27 said:

Let’s face it, if CP owned the craft beer companies you’d be able to buy beer everywhere right now and online sales would be legal. 

Yeah. Dont hear the big beer families complaining as they watch 7/11 sell their beers and their competitors flounder and possibly go bankrupt.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, ezzra said:

Now, when the'll start blaming cigarettes for the Covid this country will be on if way be a much healthier place to live in...

Naaah. It's pollution from noisy unexhausted motorbikes that cause it!!! 5555????????????????????????????????

4 hours ago, DirtyFarang said:

The blame for damage to the craft beer industry lies squarely with the Thailand alcohol monopoly.   Anybody that thinks they can't get the laws the want to regulate competition out of business is out of touch with reality.  Anybody who wants to see a thriving craft beer industry here should boycott all products made by Boon Rawd Brewery and Thai Beverage Public Company Limited and any of its subsidiaries owned by Charoen Sirivadhanabhakdi.  THOSE are the folks that are to blame.  They hate competition.

If you eat and drink anything in Thailand it's almost impossible to completely boycott products either produced or sold by those companies. I do agree with the sentiment, however.

14 hours ago, overherebc said:

The only comment I would make is that people will tend to be less likely to stick to social distances etc after 'a few'. Of course it doesn't matter who makes the beer or how it's sold.

Will that also happen in the quarantine prisons?

3 hours ago, DPKANKAN said:

Naaah. It's pollution from noisy unexhausted motorbikes that cause it!!! 5555????????????????????????????????

Only the black smoker make sick. That is a basic law in the parallel universe of Thailand, where other physic law exist.

8 hours ago, Pilotman said:

Thailand 'craft beer'; really?

Is that some kind of a sick joke comment?   What 'craft beer'  would that be then, in terms of the definition as understood by we mature, knowledgeable  and experienced  beer drinkers from  the UK?  US citizens need not comment. 

I'm German and I think I have also some knowledge about beer. You exclude only the US guys. So, I feel invited to comment ???? Thx

Have tested some of that so called beer and you are right for that low Quality

But sorry to say - for me it is similar to your UK Ale, Pale, Lager etc. where you use wrongly the name beer for.

I plan to do my home brew soon anyway. Fruit Wine is already longer bubbling frequently at home. I prefer to stay home and drink there nearly every evening with my friends and not in a Bar. So, that do not hit me.

The only point which I strongly disagree is the alcohol ban in quarantine hotel.

If TH search for Tourists then they should not lay them dry for the first 2 weeks of the holiday alone in a hotel room. This is one of the thousands other typical Thai Logics which I will never ever understand.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, MayPutThai said:

I'm German and I think I have also some knowledge about beer. You exclude only the US guys. So, I feel invited to comment ???? Thx

Have tested some of that so called beer and you are right for that low Quality

But sorry to say - for me it is similar to your UK Ale, Pale, Lager etc. where you use wrongly the name beer for.

I plan to do my home brew soon anyway. Fruit Wine is already longer bubbling frequently at home. I prefer to stay home and drink there nearly every evening with my friends and not in a Bar. So, that do not hit me.

The only point which I strongly disagree is the alcohol ban in quarantine hotel.

If TH search for Tourists then they should not lay them dry for the first 2 weeks of the holiday alone in a hotel room. This is one of the thousands other typical Thai Logics which I will never ever understand.

Well said. sir. 

• Like 1

Social drinkers: The spread of the virus has only one connection to drinking alcohol,  infection by touch or inhalation in a confined space.

It matters not what is consumed, sprite, nam-som or over priced fruit flavoured "graft-beer" made in someone's garage is irrelevant.

The tourist industry is over for the foreseeable future world wide.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Madeline Thompson said:

Leave it up to the barkeepers and restauranteurs to 'police' their own establishments. 

That is where the problem lays...with the establishments.

The "consuming of alcohol" is not the issue, if bars were allowed to open it would take 5 minutes to get back to the same old way in seconds.

Bars crammed full, no social distancing, no recording, no cleaning etc etc... the bars have proved this time and time again... thus they have to be treated like the children they are !

Think about the very recent "super spreader DJ" at the private party, bars are exactly the same.