Don't blame beer and alcohol for Covid, says Thailand’s craft beer producers

webfact

22 hours ago, Snig27 said:

Let’s face it, if CP owned the craft beer companies you’d be able to buy beer everywhere right now and online sales would be legal. 

Agreed, but it would have to be renamed as Craft Pi** as the quality would definitely go down the toilet............

• Like 1

On 2/2/2021 at 7:39 AM, webfact said:

Don't blame beer and alcohol for Covid, says Thailand’s craft beer producers

Thailand has craft beer producers? I thought they were illegal. Pretty sure someone told me that only two families are allowwed to produce beer and there is a law to protect these wealthy families that stops anyine else producing alcohol.

1 minute ago, 2530Ubon said:

Thailand has craft beer producers? I thought they were illegal. Pretty sure someone told me that only two families are allowwed to produce beer and there is a law to protect these wealthy families that stops anyine else producing alcohol.

It is not illegal if you buy a government licence, people with restaraunts can use this method as long as the sell the beer they brew on the premises. 

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, MayPutThai said:

I'm German and I think I have also some knowledge about beer. You exclude only the US guys. So, I feel invited to comment ???? Thx

Have tested some of that so called beer and you are right for that low Quality

But sorry to say - for me it is similar to your UK Ale, Pale, Lager etc. where you use wrongly the name beer for.

I plan to do my home brew soon anyway. Fruit Wine is already longer bubbling frequently at home. I prefer to stay home and drink there nearly every evening with my friends and not in a Bar. So, that do not hit me.

The only point which I strongly disagree is the alcohol ban in quarantine hotel.

If TH search for Tourists then they should not lay them dry for the first 2 weeks of the holiday alone in a hotel room. This is one of the thousands other typical Thai Logics which I will never ever understand.

yes, most UK beer is not good, largely imported rubbish, but the craft beer industry in the UK is alive and thriving and producing some of the best beers in the World, in my humble view. 

7 hours ago, MayPutThai said:

I plan to do my home brew soon anyway. Fruit Wine is already longer bubbling frequently at home. I prefer to stay home and drink there nearly every evening with my friends and not in a Bar. So, that do not hit me.

Be very carefull you do not get caught, best keep your 'hobby' to yourself, careless talk costs lives and all that, the fines are astronomical these days.

16 hours ago, Pilotman said:

Thailand 'craft beer'; really?

Is that some kind of a sick joke comment?   What 'craft beer'  would that be then, in terms of the definition as understood by we mature, knowledgeable  and experienced  beer drinkers from  the UK?  US citizens need not comment. 

Why would US citizens care about what you think?

20 minutes ago, Pilotman said:

yes, most UK beer is not good, largely imported rubbish, but the craft beer industry in the UK is alive and thriving and producing some of the best beers in the World, in my humble view. 

"Most UK beer is not good"......Are you from Mars.....????

The UK has been brewing beer/ale for centuries, and not that lager gnats pee either.....????

16 minutes ago, BobinBKK said:

You must be proud of being the utmost authority on the taste of alcoholic beverages. Congratulations ????

Indeed I am. over many many years, all over the World. Read and  learn. 

1 hour ago, vogie said:

It is not illegal if you buy a government licence, people with restaraunts can use this method as long as the sell the beer they brew on the premises. 

Thanks, I genuinely thought it was illegal. Can people legally purchase government licenses or is a corruption thing?

Edited by 2530Ubon

12 minutes ago, charliebadenhop said:

Vogie, are you saying it is legal to have a "brew-pub" in Thailand?

If so, how can I find out more?

This may be of help:

Two types of licenses are available in Thailand for would-be beer producers. Thailand's 1950 Liquor Act states that beer can only be made in a factory making more than 1,000,000 litres per year or in a brewpub producing at least 100,000 litres per year for sale on-site with no bottling permitted. Brewpub beers cannot be sold off-premises.[7] The finance ministry in 2000 ruled that, for either type of producer to be legal, they must be a limited company with capital of at least 10 million baht.[5][8] The maximum penalty for "home brewing" under the 1950 Liquor Act used to be 200 baht for making it and 5,000 baht for selling it. A new law passed by the National Legislative Assembly in December 2016 raised the maximum penalty for illegal production to 100,000 baht or a prison sentence of six months, or both. The maximum fine for selling illegal beer was raised to 50,000 baht.[9] To sell craft beers off-premises, one small brewer explained, "We have two choices: Either hire an overseas factory to make it or build a factory abroad on our own,..." and import it.[5]

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beer_in_Thailand

• Like 1

19 hours ago, CLW said:

Not only craft beer has disadvantages compared to CP's power with owning 7-11s.

As last week the restaurants had to close at 9pm but you can buy ready meals at 7-11 all night....

You can buy all the alcohol you want at 7/11. 

The very sad statistic I have just heard is that 2020 was the best year EVER for the sale of booze. I knew their playbook, it stunk, I abstained. Now I want a cold beer with my lunch and a newspaper. That is about all that is left and believe you me, they know it.

Thanks Vogie-

So, a brewpub needs to start out with $300,000 and sell 100,000 liters a year.

Pretty high hurdle, especially considering one is not allowed to sell for consumption outside of the brewpub!

You would need to sell about 2,000 liters a week!! Or about 700 liters a day. Wow! You would need 100 clients a day, drinking rather heavily!

So, pretty close to impossible... No?

1 minute ago, charliebadenhop said:

Thanks Vogie-

So, a brewpub needs to start out with $300,000 and sell 100,000 liters a year.

Pretty high hurdle, especially considering one is not allowed to sell for consumption outside of the brewpub!

You would need to sell about 2,000 liters a week!! Or about 700 liters a day. Wow! You would need 100 clients a day, drinking rather heavily!

So, pretty close to impossible... No?

That is probably the whole idea, to deter people from making better beer than the big brewers, which is not difficult to do. And I think that they would be more lenient on a Thai if found brewing his own beer than a foreigner.

This is another interesting link, but not very helpfull to the cause I'm afraid.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-12-27/thai-home-brewers-fermenting-revolution/9265138