Why is the marriage extension so difficult ?

21 hours ago, CharlieH said:

yes I know exactly where the OP is coming from and agree its not only excessive but frankly ridiculous ! it is deliberately obstructive IMHO

Exactly why many of us married guys still trundle off to Savannakhet or HCMC every year to get a Non-O marriage visa and that's beside the fact that my wife refuses to go to my Immigration Office ever again (yes, we (she) had a bad experience there and it wasn't even for a marriage extension).

22 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

I can understand the scrutiny regarding marriage. Easy way to live in Thailand and also possiblity of work. Especially appealing if under 50.

Ridiculous!

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply
22 hours ago, BEVUP said:

& here they are pushing people to get the right Visa

I think it comes down to more of the fact that it also allows you to work

A switch from retirement to marriage also enables original non-OA visa holders (who are married to Thai nationals of course) to avoid the mandatory health insurance requirement which now applies to retirement extensions for such visa holders.

Provided, of course, that their office is not of the rogue variety like Phuket who, according to a recent report on here, doesn't permit such switches.

1 hour ago, xn47140 said:

Many pros for extension of stay based on retirement.

But you need the Thai Health insurance, true? Even if your visa was issued before October 2019?

True if said visa was of the non-OA variety, not true if it was of the non-O variety.

23 hours ago, jackdd said:

That's not required.

Yes it is, even for IOs, which is why they often pressure people into getting a retirement instead of a marriage extension.

It used to be, but now you have to keep 800 K in the bank for three months after receiving your retirement Visa and then 400 K thereafter. It is very inconvenient. I changed to a marriage Visa about two years ago and I really find is very little difference other than it took me about five minutes more to get the marriage Visa, about 25 minutes.
The second time I applied they asked for far less documents and requirements and we didn't have any visits from immigration officers.
The immigration Department is only doing it job of stopping marriage of convenience, i.e. marrying a Thai girl just to get a marriage Visa, as far as having to go back one month later to collect the Visa this is only because it has to get sent to Bangkok and would always firstly be approved it's only a formality, you don't have to go back yourself anyone can pick it up for you as a friend of mine did.

Not sure how long you have been here but the unearthing of the wroughting of the system 

(about 6 years ago) found hundreds of "marriages of convenience"where the bride & groom had not even met each other started the tougher scrutinizing of applicants.

And I for one applaud them for making it tougher.

Note: I still have not heard of any genuine marriage refused without reason.

I for one, changed after 27 years of working here & had a legitimate choice.

A quick weigh up made the retirement a far better idea for many reasone one being 

the possibility of visits to the family abode, which I did not feel comfortable with.

Now, on my 4th extension & still feel best option

1 hour ago, AgMech Cowboy said:

Exactly why many of us married guys still trundle off to Savannakhet or HCMC every year to get a Non-O marriage visa and that's beside the fact that my wife refuses to go to my Immigration Office ever again (yes, we (she) had a bad experience there and it wasn't even for a marriage extension).

Ridiculous!

After about 5 visits of Savankhet visits, I just got bored with it all, even though I used to ride there and spend a couple of weeks in Laos. Then the days wasted leaving the country, it got to a point down here where you needed to be careful which border post you leave through because they can (could) give you a bit of trouble.

It’s much cheaper and less of a ball ache to just go through the pain of one day, the first time is a little frustrating, although the IO was really nice, the second year (a different girl) was a little scary because she decided to bust my nuts, but that gave me the courage to not give a flying one.
Whatever she said, and however many stripes they have, they are just bone idle paper shufflers that bought themselves into the position, as long as you have that list of papers in multiples, they have no power. If they want to act like a kid, they get it back.

This is what I needed on Tuesday 02-02-21 changwattana.

Marriage (Non -O) Visa Extension

Application Form                  (Sign)
    1 x Passport Photo
    Copy of Passport                         (Sign)
    Copy of Visa Page of Passport                     (Sign)
    Copy of House book With wife and Son in book             (Wife Sign)
    Copy of Wife, Son Passport                    (Wife Sign)
    Copy of Wife ID card                        (Wife Sign)
    Copy of marriage certificate, birth certificate, Tor Ror 22    (Wife Sign)
    Photos Inside house, Outside House (With house number), Family together on Holiday.
    Map to house                             (Google Maps ok)
    400,000 Bhat in a bank account in Thailand for the past two month     (60 Days)
    Bank Book updated on day of Application, Copy of bank book     (Do a small transition on same day as Application)
    Letter from Bank stating you have money in account.        (Dated same day as Application)

1900 Bhat Fee

1 hour ago, dutchweller said:

1 x Passport Photo
    Photos Inside house, Outside House (With house number), Family together on Holiday.
    Bank Book updated on day of Application, Copy of bank book     (Do a small transition on same day as Application)
    Letter from Bank stating you have money in account.        (Dated same day as Application)

1900 Bhat Fee

At Pathum Thani IO , in addition to yours above..

Copy of every stamped page of passport.

Copy of past 2 or 3 months of bank passbook pages..

Copy of printed bank statements for past 2 months.

Does my head in renewing visa based on marriage . You would think after 12 years of seeing the same people and visiting them at the same address and the photos being in the same house that they might actually think ok these people are married and make the process only need done every 2-5 years . 
Now I don’t even bother taking new photos I just send them the same ones for a few years and they never even notice or if they do they don’t care . 

I lost the will to live today. I was being pressured into just carrying on with my retirement extension. I told him no I want the marriage extension. He keep on about the paperwork blah blah. I asked him wasn't more to do with 800k being stuck in a Thai bank account for five months and then 400 k stuck there for a year than the paperwork. Didn't like that got all $hitty and told me I need three copies of everything plus my divorce docs in English and Thai. Luckily wearing a mask he could not see me mouthing. You @$(?ing [email protected] I just said okay I will come back tomorrow. You would think they would be a bit more pleasant in these times but no they just like to show their little bit of power. I wonder what bit of nonsensical cr@p he will demand tomorrow. 

23 hours ago, fishtank said:

Been getting Marriage Extensions for years and never had a problem.

Pretty easy to do.

Why list what paper you work you provide and how many copies instead of a blanket it is easy to do statement?

3 hours ago, Jeffrey346 said:

Wasn't difficult in KK. My package was about 25 pages X 2 sets. No witnesses required. Took about 30 minutes for the IO to check the paperwork Was asked to return in 30 days...

50 pages of paper is ridiculous.

47 minutes ago, bwpage3 said:

Wasn't difficult in KK. My package was about 25 pages X 2 sets. No witnesses required. Took about 30 minutes for the IO to check the paperwork Was asked to return in 30 days...

50 pages of paper is ridiculous.

No one said its not ridiculous.. My package was alot less than most.. It is what it is...

On 2/2/2021 at 6:59 PM, Morch said:

The first marriage visa application was a PITA - more documents asked for, more questions asked. Got better (or we got used to the routine) over time. Moving to our province from Bangkok meant a bit of restart on that, but no big deal, really. I think how much of a hassle it is comes down to which office/officers one is dealing with. As for it being over the top etc., thought so at the time, not so sure nowadays. If going through the same procedures in your home country, are things all that much different? (from your spouse's point of view).

In my home country, it might be a bureaucratic slog and expensive when applying for a partner visa, but once your wife has been approved, not only does she NOT have to renew her stay permission every year and is classed as a permanent resident, but after 5 years she can easily become a full citizen.

20 hours ago, Knocker33 said:

I lost the will to live today. I was being pressured into just carrying on with my retirement extension. I told him no I want the marriage extension. He keep on about the paperwork blah blah. I asked him wasn't more to do with 800k being stuck in a Thai bank account for five months and then 400 k stuck there for a year than the paperwork. Didn't like that got all $hitty and told me I need three copies of everything plus my divorce docs in English and Thai. Luckily wearing a mask he could not see me mouthing. You @$(?ing [email protected] I just said okay I will come back tomorrow. You would think they would be a bit more pleasant in these times but no they just like to show their little bit of power. I wonder what bit of nonsensical cr@p he will demand tomorrow. 

They are all <deleted>ty their money train has dried up not anywhere near as many bribes and extra fees going around so they are all in bad moods.

On 2/3/2021 at 2:47 PM, dutchweller said:

1 x Passport Photo

1900 Bhat Fee

Definitely much easier to get an extention on an O-A Longstay Visa. Thanks for showing all the Documents you needed. 

On 2/3/2021 at 3:27 PM, fordguy61mi said:

The K1 visa to bring my wife to America wasn’t a cakewalk, either. I guess governments like to ensure you aren’t trying to scam the system by making it so difficult and in my case, expensive!

Just sent my wife's  application in for her US visa and green card. Used a service which gave nearly page by page instructions. I still bullied something up. They say affidavits stating we are married must be notarized. I missed that part. Maybe my other "proofs", in addition to our marriage certificate will be good enough.

Archived