Why is the marriage extension so difficult ?

On 2/3/2021 at 5:27 PM, Knocker33 said:

I lost the will to live today. I was being pressured into just carrying on with my retirement extension. I told him no I want the marriage extension. He keep on about the paperwork blah blah. I asked him wasn't more to do with 800k being stuck in a Thai bank account for five months and then 400 k stuck there for a year than the paperwork. Didn't like that got all $hitty and told me I need three copies of everything plus my divorce docs in English and Thai. Luckily wearing a mask he could not see me mouthing. You @$(?ing [email protected] I just said okay I will come back tomorrow. You would think they would be a bit more pleasant in these times but no they just like to show their little bit of power. I wonder what bit of nonsensical cr@p he will demand tomorrow. 

I had the same lazy crew at my IO, saying 'why don't you put 400k in the bank'.

I said because I am paying that money to send my children to University and finance your pension.

No reply.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 2/4/2021 at 12:18 PM, john terry1001 said:

thanks John ! I also do my homework on comparing the requirements and the documents, on the extension of stay between a retirement VISA OA and a marriage VISA O. the differences and the complications mainly on the proof of marriage. the documents of proving the residence, the finance (THB800,000 vs THB400,000), are quite similar.

image.thumb.png.1ebede88743f9bf05d9054d75c7fa6c5.png

On 2/1/2021 at 10:13 PM, NancyL said:

The marriage visa application has to go to Bangkok for approval while the retirement visa extension are approved locally.  The local immigration offices want to make sure that they have done all the paperwork correctly because of the higher level review.

Also, since the financial requirements are less for the marriage visa, they want to make sure the applicants haven't set up sham marriages to lessen their financial burdens.

Sadly the sham marriages seem to be very common. And yet another reason for immigration to crack down on everyone because of many bad apples. So we have to deal with it.

hi there

I am seriously in the consideration of switching my VISA type from one to another, for the ease of year-to-year maintenance. I did my homework in the attached PDF, please feel free to comment !

requirements on the extension of stay are very much different between retirement non-OA and marriage non-O, listed in the first page. then the processes and the support documents are very much on similar logic, on identity documents, on residence documents, and on financial support documents (where numbers are different). understood marriage support documents are not required on the retirement non-OA.

be frank, it is really an individual choice on the VISA type, IF you are qualified on both the retirement non-OA and the marriage non-O.

retirement vs marriage Feb07_2021.pdf

12 minutes ago, ETatBKK said:

hi there

I am seriously in the consideration of switching my VISA type from one to another, for the ease of year-to-year maintenance. I did my homework in the attached PDF, please feel free to comment !

requirements on the extension of stay are very much different between retirement non-OA and marriage non-O, listed in the first page. then the processes and the support documents are very much on similar logic, on identity documents, on residence documents, and on financial support documents (where numbers are different). understood marriage support documents are not required on the retirement non-OA.

be frank, it is really an individual choice on the VISA type, IF you are qualified on both the retirement non-OA and the marriage non-O.

retirement vs marriage Feb07_2021.pdf 83.78 kB · 0 downloads

Non immigrant O visa can be used for either.

Medical insurance only required for O-A visa entry extensions.

Marriage under consideration for 30 days.

1 hour ago, lopburi3 said:

Medical insurance only required for O-A visa entry extensions based on retirement   Can do OA extensions based on marriage and no insurance is required even when your original OA visa was based on retirement. I switched my extensions basis from retirement to marriage last year to avoid the medical insurance. 

On 2/2/2021 at 9:03 PM, fishtank said:

No it does not.

It goes to head of division which will depend on where you are applying.

The fact that the local office accepted the application means that it will be approved.

I do my extension at Kamphaeng Phet and he copy goes to Chiang Mai. The lady IO at KPP usually tells my wife when it is ready for a pickup.

No witnesses necessary at the Immi Office.

They wanted 2 witnesses at a home visit for my first extension, but they didn't come at all last year.

3 hours ago, lopburi3 said:

yeah, I get it - non immigrant O visa can be used for either.

I also get it - medical insurance only required for O-A visa entry extensions. BUT, I doubt if I could get a health insurance after 70 years old ?

image.png.e33beec69b0713ff63bc032b7c9c786b.png

'marriage under consideration for 30 days'; I think the consideration for retirement non-OA is also 30 days, am I right ?

35 minutes ago, ETatBKK said:

yeah, I get it - non immigrant O visa can be used for either.

I also get it - medical insurance only required for O-A visa entry extensions. BUT, I doubt if I could get a health insurance after 70 years old ?

image.png.e33beec69b0713ff63bc032b7c9c786b.png

'marriage under consideration for 30 days'; I think the consideration for retirement non-OA is also 30 days, am I right ?

There would be no under consideration for an extension based on retirement for non O or non O-A

12 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

There would be no under consideration for an extension based on retirement for non O or non O-A

ok, once we file the application of the extension of permission of stay, we go back in 30 days and we check the grant of the extension. in rare case, the Immigration would deny the application. WHAT officially we called this 30-days ?

I guess this 30-days is same for retirement non-OA and marriage non-O. so far I didn't hear that this period could be shorter.

thanks for your info.

2 minutes ago, ETatBKK said:

ok, once we file the application of the extension of permission of stay, we go back in 30 days and we check the grant of the extension. in rare case, the Immigration would deny the application. WHAT officially we called this 30-days ?

I guess this 30-days is same for retirement non-OA and marriage non-O. so far I didn't hear that this period could be shorter.

thanks for your info.

The 30 days between application and getting the marriage extension is usually referred to as the "under consideration " period. Marriage extensions go to the regional head office for approval during the 30 day under consideration period. There isn't much chance of head office denying an extension because the local office makes sure everything is in order before sending it.

There is no 30 day under consideration period for an OA.

5 hours ago, Peterw42 said:

There is no 30 day under consideration period for an OA.

thanks Peter, apparently I am on that marriage non-O. just a bit of getting clear in my head, for retirement non-OA, the application filing doesn't go through the 30-days wait and come back process. does it mean the application is approved on spot ?  I must say going to CW is NOT AT ALL my favourite trip whatever the weather like !

6 minutes ago, ETatBKK said:

thanks Peter, apparently I am on that marriage non-O. just a bit of getting clear in my head, for retirement non-OA, the application filing doesn't go through the 30-days wait and come back process. does it mean the application is approved on spot ?  I must say going to CW is NOT AT ALL my favourite trip whatever the weather like !

Some folk originally had a non O-A and some non O. Annual extensions can be obtained either based on marriage or retirement (if your 50+).

For extension based on retirement they are issued on the spot. For extension based on marriage there will be an under consideration period. You will/may have home visit etc.

Some married folk with an original non O-A that were previously obtaining extensions based on retirement have changed to extensions based on marriage. The reason being is that retirement extensions to a non O-A require ridiculous health insurance from Thai company. If based on marriage the insurance is not required.

Note that extensions to a non O do not require insurance regardless if based on marriage or retirement.

3 minutes ago, ETatBKK said:

Yes, retire extension is approved same day when you submit all the required documents. (maybe pickup next day in some offices, if busy etc)

You would be doing an extension of stay  based on retirement, not getting a non-OA retire visa, a non-OA retire visa is only issued outside Thailand.

5 hours ago, Peterw42 said:

You would be doing an extension of stay  based on retirement, not getting a non-OA retire visa, a non-OA retire visa is only issued outside Thailand.

To be more specific. Only issued in your own country or a country where you have residency.

Archived