Bank staffer arrested after siphoning tens of millions of baht from Pattaya expats

Jonathan Fairfield

Ah, I get it, the bank guy was arrested two weeks ago, presumably cos of complaints of siphoning, with little publicity; yesterday, it all blew up, when hundreds visited the bank to get their monthly 3.5% interest and found out the guy had been arrested. So this is probably more about the scam (one Chinese alone lost 130 million baht, apparently) than the siphoning. I, personally, would expect the bank to compensate those whose accounts were siphoned; after all, it's reasonable to expect your bank manager, as a representative of the bank, to have some professional integrity when acting within the scope of his duties, and properly running your account must be part of that. For those that were scammed, I'm not so sure. Can we really say he was acting within the scope of his duties when recommending these investments at an outrageous interest rate? Wasn't he acting more in a personal capacity? Shouldn't a bit of the old "caveat emptor" apply here?

• Like 2

7 hours ago, tgw said:

also weak control by the account owners.

everyone should check their balance in the system, there are many ways to do that, ATM, Internet Banking, Phone App (although I don't recommend using a phone app), and SMS service.

how does noticing your money is gone, after its gone, stop you losing your money?

• Thanks 2

8 hours ago, CharlieH said:

Probably a few (a lot) of resident expats will be checking their balances/banking affairs shortly in and around Pattaya.

This is not the first time this has been publicized about bank staff behaving in this manner.

Very unsettling for many.

I check my ฿800k every morning. I heard of a debit card being copied and the account drained to the max amount daily. Credible source, now a credible story.

6 hours ago, Jingthing said:

is there really much chance that the bank in question will be legally obligated to pay the money back? 

Since it stemmed from one of their employees, a manager at that, I would very much hope so. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, HampiK said:

My guess is, the bank not feel responsible at all. How the bank could check on this? I would check on the second manager how it's possible that she not was seeing anything!!!

Yes interesting... although I presume the deception occurred within the premises of the bank.....the clients didn't meet him in Katesiree House.

Edited by jacko45k
  • Like 1

According to the report, Mr. Chaisit was responsible for money transfers from abroad on behalf of the farang clients and ensuring that they were deposited into their accounts. The farang would receive a bank book with the account balance that is transferred from abroad, but it turned out the money in that account didn’t exist. When the farang asked the bank about the money, it turned out that the bank book and the record of transfer were counterfeit or outdated books.

• Thanks 1

I think this goes on more than you will ever know I had a small amount 7000 baht taken out of my account some years ago within a day I noticed it, after I questioned them about it, it was put back right away. 

The staff could sit there taking a 1000 baht a time how many people would know?

Hell even Bernie Madoff guaranteed  less than 3.5% a month....

Madoff claimed an average annual return of better than 11% but with very little volatility, according to a person familiar with the matter. The firm purported to be returning a steady 1% or so a month and to have never suffered an annual loss, this person said. There were other red flags.Dec 13, 2008

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Wildliferescue said:

Why is ThaiVisa not telling us it is the Kasikorn Bank? 

There's a lot TV don't report.  

All the relevant news is out there but not on TV.