Bank staffer arrested after siphoning tens of millions of baht from Pattaya expats

Jonathan Fairfield

The #1 problem for these not so smart farangs is not proving they have been wronged but having to use the slow slow and convoluted Thai legal system to try and get their money back....

Edited by redwood1
  • Like 1

I dont know if this is a coincidence or what I've just looked into my Crypto account and they have disabled  transfers to that bank, I dont use them I just saw the notice 

Edited by ChipButty
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, ChipButty said:

I think this goes on more than you will ever know I had a small amount 7000 baht taken out of my account some years ago within a day I noticed it, after I questioned them about it, it was put back right away. 

The staff could sit there taking a 1000 baht a time how many people would know?

Anyone that has the phone app open and sees the recent transactions and balance should know... 

I lost money from a Thai bank twelve years ago.  10,000 baht was taken three times from ATMs in Sattahip and two places in Pattaya where I had never been.  The manager couldn't have cared less.  Only after I created a fuss was I provided with the locations of the ATMs.  Their explanation was I had given my PIN to my GF!  Mine was, only the bank & I knew my PIN.  I changed banks but never recovered my money.  There's a reason why UK banks are loathe to deal with customers in Thailand.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, mikebell said:

I lost money from a Thai bank twelve years ago.  10,000 baht was taken three times from ATMs in Sattahip and two places in Pattaya where I had never been.  The manager couldn't have cared less.  Only after I created a fuss was I provided with the locations of the ATMs.  Their explanation was I had given my PIN to my GF!  Mine was, only the bank & I knew my PIN.  I changed banks but never recovered my money.  There's a reason why UK banks are loathe to deal with customers in Thailand.

In my case I got the money back, my wife called the head office and kicked off

• Like 1

9 hours ago, tgw said:

also weak control by the account owners.

everyone should check their balance in the system, there are many ways to do that, ATM, Internet Banking, Phone App (although I don't recommend using a phone app), and SMS service.

Why? Whats wrong with the phone app?

Money is always going missing from thai bank accounts.How many families have received money from thai banks when someone dies.?,I have asked people in the past about this.And the thais want you to put 800,000 in bank for visa.Be warned.Dont put any money into a thai bank.Its to risky.

9 hours ago, dabhand said:

From that article:

"The branch apparently had two senior managers, one was Mr. Gob. The other bank manager, a female, told investors yesterday that she had no idea about the situation and hadn’t asked any questions about the hundreds of investors queueing up to visit Mr. Gob at the start of each month."

Amazing Thailand!

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

9 hours ago, impulse said:

Gotta love Thai defamation laws.  Hard to tell if your account may be one affected without knowing which bank.  Or decide whether to move your money.

The Kingdom of Thailand, where ridiculous and common sense smash their heads together ????????????

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

From foreigners they ask for many documents e.g. work permit etc. 

Even thought retired people do not obtain a work permit. 

Actually, compared with THAI, as a foreigner I would feel very discriminated. 

It is time to do some changes in the bank system.

The normal account type is a saving account, where the costumer only can

withdraw money if the sum is covered. So, actually no risk for the bank.

Why they still make it so difficult????

They should background check their THAI staff more.

• Thanks 2

8 hours ago, kingofthemountain said:

Nope, it's not possible

the most difficult is to prove it

and to determine what was her degree of involvement

i mean how much she was paid to keep her eyes closed ?

In any Banking system there are procedures in place for accountability.

By accountability, I dont just mean for the actual Money. There will be procedures for Staff actions on issuing Loans, withdrawals Etc Etc.

It really is not possible for any other Senior Managers at this Branch to be unaware of the actions of this Guy.

There needs to be a Nation wide investigation now by Kasikorn to establish the extent of this Fraud, as I doubt very much that this is in isolation.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

This seems to happen every year or so, or at lleast publicly acknowledged.

Usually limited to one single branch, with one to three emplyees in on the grab.

A search will yield quite a few articles, many have been posted here...

example:

• Like 1

8 hours ago, kingofthemountain said:

Nope, it's not possible

the most difficult is to prove it

and to determine what was her degree of involvement

i mean how much she was paid to keep her eyes closed ?

I'd be more inclined to believe she was told to look the other way or? TIT a female ....