Biden moves to reverse Trump immigration policies, too slowly for some

webfact

3 hours ago, wwest5829 said:

We may well agree that EOs are not the preferred method to govern. I would much rather see Congress introducing Bills, assigning to Committee, bringing forth studies, experts to give input as to what are the best policy options, bringing the Bill to the floor for Debate and the Vote ...but ... Aside from the way things are designed to work ... EOs reversing poor policy by the last administration is best for my country right now. Damage needs to be addressed.

Fully agree with you.  I like your thinking!  

Just to be clear, (had to deal with this for a living) the bills that Congress passes into law are, generally, statutes which need to fall within the purview of the Constitution.  Then, the executive orders are supposed to fall within the purview of one or more statutes, with some possible "broad interpretations" at times, probably more with foreign affairs for POTUS.  

Thus, in the OP's case, the new Congress with the Democratic Party's new majority can do Pres. Biden a big favor by passing bill(s) that give him, besides what's explicitly provided in the bill(s), a green light on more things that he wants to do (other exec. orders or whatever) besides what he can now slip through with executive orders.    

Edited by helpisgood
added info

5 hours ago, simple1 said:

One assumes 'domestic terror' matters will need to be enacted under law, not by EO,

Actually, I think an executive order can work if it falls within the powers granted by a Congressional statute (law).  Still, I think you have it basically right without any of the annoying jargon.  

By the way, I have always enjoyed your posts.  You appear to be a very well-meaning person.  Thanks! 

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Jingthing said:

The disgraced twice impeached Mr. trump intentionally separated families with no plan to reunite them.

"Intentionally"

THAT is the most horrific part of this whole policy. Nothing other than cruel!!!

• Like 1

On 2/3/2021 at 10:38 AM, NorthernRyland said:

Those were Europeans though. Now we're talking about the underclass from various South American countries. Not even the middle class but people that are so desperate they need to enter illegally. This is a totally new class of immigrant in 2020 than in 1920. 

Never mind the fact there is a pandemic going on. What kind of idiot, as President, would rush so foolishly to open the border to illegals from crime and poverty ridden countries like South America. Biden needs to use more thorough logic than to just take action because it’s the opposite of what Trump would do. I have no desire for my tax dollars to support these people and I sure don’t want them coming in while covid is running amuck. If people want to come legally, fine. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, Eric Loh said:

I don’t think the meaning of underclass which is the lowest social stratum in a country or community of poor, starving and unemployed has changed over time. 

Why should the US make that their problem?

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

15 hours ago, thailand49 said:

You have all the right to believe what you want, 50 years and he has done nothing but been on the wrong side of the issues. He is nothing more than a puppet having easy question thrown his way. . I didn't support Trump but Biden is living in a dream world if it wasn't for Trump big mouth and the pandemic neither him or Harris could win based on their history!

But that is just your opinion.

Other people have the opposite opinion and an equal right to be heard.

quote from your post.

He is getting all the question ahead and his staff is providing answers in front of him. Watch his eyes and facial expression he is reading off something.

That is what experts and advisors are for. OTOH Trump only listened to advisors who agreed with him. The rest were dumped in the trash bin of history.

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, Eric Loh said:

Easy to see that you are a Trump supporter who bought in lock stock and barrel of his self serving anti immigrants populist policy. In a way, you part of the problem. Not meant to be demeaning but the fact that US need immigrants because of its critical aging demography. It’s about a continuation of US economic vibrancy and you need immigrants just like in the 19th century that gave the country its wealth and power today.

https://www.newyorker.com/news/our-columnists/why-the-united-states-needs-more-immigrants

For your information I immigrated to the US, LEGALLY. I also worked hard to make something of myself from nothing. I resent people trying to come into the country illegally just so they can claim asylum. It has nothing to do with being a Trump supporter but it is my opinion, which I have just as much a right to espouse as you do. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, DBath said:

For your information I immigrated to the US, LEGALLY. I also worked hard to make something of myself from nothing. I resent people trying to come into the country illegally just so they can claim asylum. It has nothing to do with being a Trump supporter but it is my opinion, which I have just as much a right to espouse as you do. 

Claiming asylum does not make them illegal. Asylum seekers are legal.

• Thanks 2

On 2/3/2021 at 10:38 AM, NorthernRyland said:

Not even the middle class but people that are so desperate they need to enter illegally.

You are correct,  44% of all illegals  don't have the equivalent of a high school education.  Only 25% of illegals can speak English fluently.  Just how do people think this impacts the education of US citizens.  You flood the schools with children who need extra attention and slow the classroom education down because the children brought to the USA illegally are handicapped in terms of previous education and English comprehension. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, J Town said:

You're either not a US citizen, not old enough to remember,  or just don't understand how America's foundation is in helping those in need around the world.

bring me your tired.jpg

Those people CAME LEGALLY.  Do the same today. 

• Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, J Town said:

. They are necessary cuz no one else will do the work.

J.Town 

That is just an outright falsehood.  I challenge her to post for the work at $100 per hour and I would bet my entire net worth that she would be flooded with USA applicants to perform the work.  You counter, well of course at $100 but she can't pay $100 per hour.  So the truth is, that employers can not find U.S. workers to perform certain tasks at the employers WANT TO PAY.  You will not get U.S. workers to toil in the fields at $5 per hour.  But if you paid $10, $12 or $15 dollars you would eventually reach a level where US workers would perform those tasks.  That is the way the system is suppose to work.  I might like to hire nurses in a hospital at $5.00 per hour but certainly I could not find them.  That is no excuse to then allow floodgates of illegal nurses from the Philippines who are willing to do so. While those workers are "cheap" for the meat packers and farmers they are hardly cheap for society.  The cost to educate a child in middle school and high school is approximately $12,000 per year.  With 3 children those "cheap" workers cost the other taxpayers $36,000 per year to say nothing of the other social services expenses they create. If a business any business needs workers it first must pay a wage high enough to attract the worker(s), if that is not affordable they automate, If they can't automate, they should import from countries where the products can be produced more cheaply.  That is why Pineapples are grown in the Philippines and not so much in Hawaii any longer.  You import the product from countries with the workers, not the workers into the country.  The USA does that with textiles, electronics, furniture, and a multitude of other products where they can be more efficiently produced.  

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, J Town said:

Fox/Newsmax/OAN are NOT your friends. They give you this misinformation because it presses your buttons and further divides the country (until they are sued for lying which happens all too often).

President Biden has created a task force to look into the most humane way for legal immigration while signing 3 executive orders to reverse cruel and inhumane policies the previous administration enforced.

"I'm not making new law, I'm eliminating bad policy," Biden said at the White House."

Immigration: Biden to sign executive orders and establish task force to reunite separated families - CNNPolitics

Turn away from the dark side, it's not helpful.

I follow various news media, liberal as well as conservative. I also weigh the information presented before blindly deciding if I agree. For some reason, people like you (usually liberals) seem to have a problem with that approach. Ask me if I care. 

8 minutes ago, DBath said:

I follow various news media, liberal as well as conservative. I also weigh the information presented before blindly deciding if I agree. For some reason, people like you (usually liberals) seem to have a problem with that approach. Ask me if I care. 

Do you care?

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Sujo said:

Then blame the employers, not the employees.

I do blame the employers.  However, terming them "employees" is a falsehood also.  They are ILLEGALS.  They are no different than the Cambodians who come into Thailand because the conditions here are better.  The employers could not continue to exploit these people if the politicians were not complicit in facilitating illegals into the country.  You do not need a wall to keep them out.  You do just what Thailand and many other countries does.  You can not function in the country easily as an illegal.  You can not rent a hotel room, can not lease a home, can not open a bank account, can not get a drivers license, can not purchase a car or motorcycle, can not transfer any money etc.  

As mentioned, it is a great deal for the employers but the other social costs are passed on to the taxpayers.  The social costs are not just in dollars.  The flooding of school systems with children who can not speak English impairs the learning of U.S. students.  The flooding of illegals who made their living in Mexico, and Central America selling drugs brings that trade with them.  

The USA once before in the 17th and 18th century "imported" cheap labor.  We are still paying the price for doing that. 

• Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Thomas J said:

Those people CAME LEGALLY.  Do the same today. 

Then don't tear their families apart FOREVER and cage the children like wild animals when they come seeking legal asylum.

Stop watching Fox/Newsmax/OAN.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Thomas J said:

J.Town 

That is just an outright falsehood.  I challenge her to post for the work at $100 per hour and I would bet my entire net worth that she would be flooded with USA applicants to perform the work.  You counter, well of course at $100 but she can't pay $100 per hour.  So the truth is, that employers can not find U.S. workers to perform certain tasks at the employers WANT TO PAY.  You will not get U.S. workers to toil in the fields at $5 per hour.  But if you paid $10, $12 or $15 dollars you would eventually reach a level where US workers would perform those tasks.  That is the way the system is suppose to work.  I might like to hire nurses in a hospital at $5.00 per hour but certainly I could not find them.  That is no excuse to then allow floodgates of illegal nurses from the Philippines who are willing to do so. While those workers are "cheap" for the meat packers and farmers they are hardly cheap for society.  The cost to educate a child in middle school and high school is approximately $12,000 per year.  With 3 children those "cheap" workers cost the other taxpayers $36,000 per year to say nothing of the other social services expenses they create. If a business any business needs workers it first must pay a wage high enough to attract the worker(s), if that is not affordable they automate, If they can't automate, they should import from countries where the products can be produced more cheaply.  That is why Pineapples are grown in the Philippines and not so much in Hawaii any longer.  You import the product from countries with the workers, not the workers into the country.  The USA does that with textiles, electronics, furniture, and a multitude of other products where they can be more efficiently produced.  

You don't live there, you don't know. What a bunch of wasted words.

• Confused 1

50 minutes ago, Thomas J said:

I do blame the employers.  However, terming them "employees" is a falsehood also.  They are ILLEGALS.  They are no different than the Cambodians who come into Thailand because the conditions here are better.  The employers could not continue to exploit these people if the politicians were not complicit in facilitating illegals into the country.  You do not need a wall to keep them out.  You do just what Thailand and many other countries does.  You can not function in the country easily as an illegal.  You can not rent a hotel room, can not lease a home, can not open a bank account, can not get a drivers license, can not purchase a car or motorcycle, can not transfer any money etc.  

As mentioned, it is a great deal for the employers but the other social costs are passed on to the taxpayers.  The social costs are not just in dollars.  The flooding of school systems with children who can not speak English impairs the learning of U.S. students.  The flooding of illegals who made their living in Mexico, and Central America selling drugs brings that trade with them.  

The USA once before in the 17th and 18th century "imported" cheap labor.  We are still paying the price for doing that. 

Asylum seekers are not illegal.

The employers are solely to blame so go after them. There is no open border policy.

Btw, they are a net gain to society.

• Thanks 2

2 hours ago, DBath said:

On the one hand we hear the complaint that immigrants are working for low wages to the detriment of citizens and other legal residents of the USA. On the other hand, apparently, they're here not to work but just to claim asylum. When these asylum seekers are released into the community, how do you think that they get sustenance? By not taking those low paying jobs?