Quarantines are killing Thailand’s tourism industry, and not even a long holiday can offset 14 days of isolation

webfact

I really do not see how they could have done it differently under this worlwide pandemic.

Some make it sound here like we are the only "tourism country" suffering.

Most are.

As previously stated as a business owner I am suffering but certainly do not wish to open too early & subject all staff, their families , friends  & myself to unnecessary risks .

• Like 1

21 hours ago, nkg said:

Even the tuk tuks in Phuket are cheaper than taxis in most Western countries. Apparently $20 for an hour-long trip to Phuket Airport is a rip-off, according to the penny-pinchers ...

Considering the flight Phuket-Bangkok is often only $30, I would consider the trip to the airport a wee bit overpriced. 

• Like 1

Those who can afford to go holiday in Thailand for more than 14 days (with quarantine) are rich people who have nothing better to do at home and jobless.

The amount of paperwork just to come to Thailand is a nightmare and a long process.

How many people fit this criteria?

Edited by EricTh
  • Haha 1

On 2/3/2021 at 3:47 PM, webfact said:

which perhaps explains why so few tourists have taken the Land of Smiles up on its long-stay special tourist visa (STV) offer

With so many hoops to jump through, would be a better way of explaining why so few take up the special tourist visa ( STV ) offer ,as for someone like myself , I would be very happy to use this visa ,if only it was made easy to get past all these ridiculous conditions , such as, double  insurance ,with older persons unable to get both , having to book your whole accommodation after quarantine , what do they think, you are going to sleep on the street, anyway with such a long stay ,with the option of maybe applying for the extra 3 x 3 months , what is the sense of all this.    Plus many many more hoops to jump through .                                                                                                                        I would  cop it sweet for 2 weeks quarantine  for this long visa ,if they would just make it easier to get, as for me being retired  ,with plenty of time to spend holidaying in Thailand , I could make good use of this type of  visa            Regards ,,,, Popa 

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, Ganesh108 said:

Considering the flight Phuket-Bangkok is often only $30, I would consider the trip to the airport a wee bit overpriced. 

Heathrow to Zurich is $40, the 15 minute journey from the airport to the town centre is $80. Heathrow to the centre of London is $60.

I'm well aware that Phuket's tuk tuks are more expensive than anywhere else in Thailand, but by Western standards they are about average. For somebody living in Thailand on a budget, of course, they are far too expensive.

On 2/3/2021 at 3:59 PM, zzzzz said:

something interesting<
Singapore airlines will start Singapore- Phuket flights march 1st>
IF this happens, ( phuket airport is currently not open for international flights) we could get visitors from Australia and Singapore quarantining in Phuket..

and not having to go to Bangkok

and IF, they start the vaccine passports.

Yea, I know,  Lots of ifs

Australians are not permitted to depart their country for non-essential travel. No arrivals from there, mate.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

A post with a link to a questionable source has been removed:

18) Social Media content is acceptable in most social forums. However, in factual areas such as news, current affairs and health topics, it cannot be used unless it is from a credible news media source or government agency, and must include a weblink to the original source.

An inflammatory post has been removed. 

What is the problem with self-quarantine? 

– It’s enforceable by both manual and modern means
– It has an immediate impact on the economy with a limited danger of spreading of the virus
– It can be rolled out to select groups: the Retired, Employed, Educator, etc
– It’s a Win/Win for the Government, the unemployed locals and the disgruntled foreigner

I have not heard a legitimate objection or discussion. This should be questioned, addressed, analyzed.

• Sad 1

On 2/3/2021 at 3:37 AM, exparte said:

Tourism. Not needed.

1. The World Bank in news last week said the Thai Economy in 2021 will grow 4%. It grew 3.8% in 2019 with over 40 million tourist arrivals. So, no tourist needed.  The Economy is projected to grow more than  2019 with much less tourism.

2. "Finance Minister says economy must pivot away from tourism with a switch to S-Curve industries"

https://www.thaiexaminer.com/thai-news-foreigners/2020/12/03/finance-minister-economy-pivot-from-tourism/

I believe the Finance Ministry more than the Tourism Ministry. All Tourist industry's are trying to keep their chin up; but I think think it is clear that the Government want to move away from Tourism; and is trying to placate the those with investments in the tourism with unrealistic tourism projections.

• Thanks 1

On 2/3/2021 at 3:13 PM, sammieuk1 said:

Passage without impendence or financial pummelling is the only way back for me ????   

None of us travel without impedence of some sort. But its your choice to stay in the UK....Good luck.

35 minutes ago, D M G said:

What is the problem with self-quarantine? 

– It’s enforceable by both manual and modern means
– It has an immediate impact on the economy with a limited danger of spreading of the virus
– It can be rolled out to select groups: the Retired, Employed, Educator, etc
– It’s a Win/Win for the Government, the unemployed locals and the disgruntled foreigner

I have not heard a legitimate objection or discussion. This should be questioned, addressed, analyzed.

How is it enforceable? It only takes on infected person to cause chaos.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, lovethai123 said:

maldives did a decent job.

They managed to get tourists. a negative Rt pcr is a basic requirement . there might be other restrictions which can be found online . but i see many people flying to maldives 

Rt pcr?

On 2/3/2021 at 3:36 PM, RotBenz8888 said:

They will have to open for vaccinated tourists from low risk countries, when next high season starts. Of course with tests before departure and on arrival. 

'will have to'...No they won't.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, ChoakMyDee said:

No. The "vaccine" doesn't stop the spread of the virus. I'd suggest you do a little research. I'm surprised at how many people are incorrectly thinking that the "vaccine" is going to save us and get the world back to normal.

It seems likely the Oxford vaccine does stop the spread:

Results that show the Oxford-AstraZeneca vaccine might reduce the spread of coronavirus have been hailed as "absolutely superb" by the health secretary.

It is the first time a vaccine has been shown to reduce transmission of the virus.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-55913913

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Nout said:

How is it enforceable? It only takes on infected person to cause chaos.

Enforcement.  I mean monitoring the people by human means or electronic.  Nothing is 100% infection-proof unless you go extreme (Full lockdown, HazMat, etc). 

They could buy a few million from India, vaccinate pattaya beach , jomtien , chiang mai night market, sukhumvit , silom , khao san etc,

tell tourist to not go anywhere else,

vaccinate all taxi operators, airport staff, bus staff

and we should be ok

What u all think?

38 minutes ago, D M G said:

Enforcement.  I mean monitoring the people by human means or electronic.  Nothing is 100% infection-proof unless you go extreme (Full lockdown, HazMat, etc). 

There was total lockdown, still virus spread didnt stop, it slowed only. 

• Like 1

On 2/4/2021 at 4:50 AM, Disparate Dan said:

Not that it's any of your business, but I was OFFERED a job here 30 years ago. Bet duly LOST. I am NOT a resident here EITHER despite being married here for more than 20 years. If you want more, buy the book.

Congratulations. High-end katoey bargirls can make a lot of money.

• Haha 1

On 2/3/2021 at 6:59 PM, ChoakMyDee said:

It's not a vaccine. They shouldn't be calling it one.

It's totally a vaccine. I don't know where you get the idea from that it's not.

Vaccine: A product that stimulates a person’s immune system to produce immunity to a specific disease, protecting the person from that disease.

https://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/vac-gen/imz-basics.htm

On 2/4/2021 at 9:29 PM, Isaan sailor said:

Well, well, well--so someone has figured the loss of tourism, and a devastated economy due to the 14-day quarantine.  Of course, putrid air and an overpriced Baht have nothing to do with it right?

No.

• Like 1