Quarantines are killing Thailand’s tourism industry, and not even a long holiday can offset 14 days of isolation

webfact

3 hours ago, nkg said:

This forum is full of "I'm alright jack" characters who are already living in Thailand, and don't like having "competition" from the two-week millionaires.

Well this is THAIvisa..... sorry if you didn't know that.

I don't know you, but I don't picture you as "competition". But if you mean that we 'jacks' (and in at least my case our families and friends) don't need the sex tourists and gormless shopping mall-fillers that mass tourism brings, you may just be right.

In fact my antipathy to tourism is wide than Thailand - over-tourism has ruined so many places around the world where locals and the few who travel legitimately suffer the effects. Barcelona, Venice, Sydney, Paris, Munich, Hong Kong (until a year ago, obviously) etc etc ad nauseam. We all have a chance to reset this pernicious blight as a result of the panic.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Sheryl said:

But will your standard travel insurance sign the required certificate? Most will not and hence the problem. The wording of the required certificate is such that few companies are willing to sign. And nothi8ng other than that certificate iwll be accepted.

Actually, I hadn't considered that - I just looked at the level of cover.

So my answer to you is "I don't know" as until the situation changes regarding quarantine, I shall not be contemplating visiting Thailand anyway.

By that time, I foresee many rules will have changed, probably several times (!) so will "cross that bridge when I come to it".

My feeling is that my insurers will be helpful  - they were brilliant at paying my "curtailment" claim back in March, but I see no point in nagging them now about something that may or may be an issue sometime in the future.

Thanks for setting me straight though. ????

7 hours ago, exparte said:

Tourism. Not needed.

1. The World Bank in news last week said the Thai Economy in 2021 will grow 4%. It grew 3.8% in 2019 with over 40 million tourist arrivals. So, no tourist needed.  The Economy is projected to grow more than  2019 with much less tourism.

2. "Finance Minister says economy must pivot away from tourism with a switch to S-Curve industries"

https://www.thaiexaminer.com/thai-news-foreigners/2020/12/03/finance-minister-economy-pivot-from-tourism/

I believe the Finance Ministry more than the Tourism Ministry. All Tourist industry's are trying to keep their chin up; but I think think it is clear that the Government want to move away from Tourism; and is trying to placate the those with investments in the tourism with unrealistic tourism projections.

And what are the 2020 figures ??????????????????

9 hours ago, internationalism said:

but there also can be:

- quarantine on designed islands

- quarantine is a seaside resort with 1km perimeter, even with a beeping gps bracelet

- shorter then 14 days, especially those with vax or taking additional tests coming negative

- travel corridors, travel bubbles

- no quarantine for those who already had covid

mixture of those options, as well as many other options 

it's better to put into coma industry, which can be re-vived, than literally kill workers in this industry, their families and the rest of population

No. The "vaccine" doesn't stop the spread of the virus. I'd suggest you do a little research. I'm surprised at how many people are incorrectly thinking that the "vaccine" is going to save us and get the world back to normal.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

9 hours ago, zzzzz said:

something interesting<
Singapore airlines will start Singapore- Phuket flights march 1st>
IF this happens, ( phuket airport is currently not open for international flights) we could get visitors from Australia and Singapore quarantining in Phuket..

and not having to go to Bangkok

and IF, they start the vaccine passports.

Yea, I know,  Lots of ifs

No, there is a ban on travel for all Australians. They're not allowed to travel out of the country. Do you guys not read the news?

• Confused 1

8 hours ago, connda said:

And government forced business closures are destroying both the foreign as well as the domestic segment of the Thai economy.
But?
Like globally, those government officials destroying the small and medium business sector continue to get a paycheck and live the good life.

They are opening all bars and restaurants soon.

7 hours ago, nkg said:

Thailand isn't really a family destination. People didn't want to take their kids on an 18 hour flight before covid, either. Older and retired couples like Thailand for the weather, then you have the backpackers, young couples with no kids and groups of friends. Not many people bring their kids.

I see lots of foreign tourists with kids in Hua Hin.

A small percentage of those vaccinated can still get covid 19 , of those A small percentage of those vaccinated can still infect others, 

but what also need to be considered is that   for those vaccinated that  can transmit the virus, need people to transmit it too. and if many of those around them are also vaccinated their available pool of host is diminished and consequently their small chance to transmit becomes even smaller. 

Combine that with testing,and  guaranteeing those found positive and the danger becomes even  smaller

The metrics is not linear , so let's wait until spring to see how many people are vaccinated, what their reaction to the vaccine was, and how infectious they are.

But if the authorities are to wait until then to prepare a system it will be too late, so they start thinking and preparing for one now , and if by then it become apparent that it is not a good idea I am sure they will either abandoned it or modify it. 

Everything else is BS .

Edited by sirineou
typo
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

12 hours ago, cyril sneer said:

I've heard these quarantines include a covid test once arrived, is there any need to stay the full 14 days if test shows negative?

Also it seems they've chosen 14 days because it happens to equate to exactly '2 weeks', rather than how long the exact number of days is necessary 

I did quarantine.Couldnt understand still being kept there after 12 day negative test.With no more tests why not just let you out

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Disparate Dan said:

Well this is THAIvisa..... sorry if you didn't know that.

I don't know you, but I don't picture you as "competition". But if you mean that we 'jacks' (and in at least my case our families and friends) don't need the sex tourists and gormless shopping mall-fillers that mass tourism brings, you may just be right.

In fact my antipathy to tourism is wide than Thailand - over-tourism has ruined so many places around the world where locals and the few who travel legitimately suffer the effects. Barcelona, Venice, Sydney, Paris, Munich, Hong Kong (until a year ago, obviously) etc etc ad nauseam. We all have a chance to reset this pernicious blight as a result of the panic.

So, how was it that you first came to Thailand? Oh, you were a tourist?

What a surprise.

• Haha 2

17 hours ago, internationalism said:

but there also can be:

- quarantine on designed islands

- quarantine is a seaside resort with 1km perimeter, even with a beeping gps bracelet

- shorter then 14 days, especially those with vax or taking additional tests coming negative

- travel corridors, travel bubbles

- no quarantine for those who already had covid

mixture of those options, as well as many other options 

it's better to put into coma industry, which can be re-vived, than literally kill workers in this industry, their families and the rest of population

So you advocate an isolated area where infected and non-infected people can mix during a pandemic, just because they want a holiday?

Plus you will turn the "named location" into a leper island.

1 hour ago, Disparate Dan said:

No. I have never been a tourist here. Have you ever been to Thailand?

I've been a "tourist " here for almost 36 years  and bet you u first arrived as a tourist, its ur choice of words to call yourself what ever you desire.

I am a Long term tourist as is every farang unless they hold a resident card or are here working, I am NOT a resident as hold ONLY a 1 year extension.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, hotchilli said:

So you advocate an isolated area where infected and non-infected people can mix during a pandemic, just because they want a holiday?

Plus you will turn the "named location" into a leper island.

tourists are no infected, they would have already antibodies from infection in their home countries, vaccination, multiple negative tests, had short quarantine in thailand and be monitored daily for symptoms.

All thai population on island will be vaccinated and under priority health care, i.e. appropriate medical staff and supplies. If out brake there would be lock down. Islanders can vote if they want to participate or bar all foreign tourists.

A similar plan was made already in september last year for phuket, but involved 2 weeks relaxed quarantine in seaside resorts. It did not take off. In phuket there is a large local population. 

But there are many small population but touristy islands, where such projects can take off, without jeopardising locals

13 minutes ago, internationalism said:

tourists are no infected, they would have already antibodies from infection in their home countries, vaccination, multiple negative tests, had short quarantine in thailand and be monitored daily for symptoms.

All thai population on island will be vaccinated and under priority health care, i.e. appropriate medical staff and supplies. If out brake there would be lock down. Islanders can vote if they want to participate or bar all foreign tourists.

A similar plan was made already in september last year for phuket, but involved 2 weeks relaxed quarantine in seaside resorts. It did not take off. In phuket there is a large local population. 

But there are many small population but touristy islands, where such projects can take off, without jeopardising locals

Another Non-starter, you're dreaming.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, RotBenz8888 said:

They will have to open for vaccinated tourists from low risk countries, when next high season starts. Of course with tests before departure and on arrival. 

Yes agreed but people need to be able to leave their countries and get reasonably priced airfares or they will just snub it & wait 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, zzzzz said:

I've been a "tourist " here for almost 36 years  and bet you u first arrived as a tourist, its ur choice of words to call yourself what ever you desire.

I am a Long term tourist as is every farang unless they hold a resident card or are here working, I am NOT a resident as hold ONLY a 1 year extension.

Not that it's any of your business, but I was OFFERED a job here 30 years ago. Bet duly LOST. I am NOT a resident here EITHER despite being married here for more than 20 years. If you want more, buy the book.

Unlike most countries in the world, Thailand has at least provided a path to getting into the country. Sure it involves a 2 week quarantine which is a non-starter for the majority of potential tourists but, as with most other countries, they are more concerned with preventing an unmanageable public health crisis. There is no magic wand that can instantaneously solve this problem unfortunately.

If only they had kept as close a watch on the border with Myanmar.

• Like 2