Quarantines are killing Thailand’s tourism industry, and not even a long holiday can offset 14 days of isolation

webfact

29 minutes ago, Sujo said:

Did thailand take into consideration that most tourists wont come because not only quarantine in thailand but quarantine on the their home country.

Dont think many fancy 3 or 4 weeks of annual leave in quarantine hotels.

Add to that certain provinces are enforcing an additional 14 day home quarantine upon arrival from thai virus hot spots.

1 hour ago, Peterw42 said:

Comparisons to the Maldives isn't really apples with apples. Its a completely different tourism model.

Maldives is isolated self contained resorts, off the plane, 2 weeks in a self contained resort then back on the plane home.

And no scams or tuk tuk mafia,,,

10 minutes ago, Farma said:

Add to that certain provinces are enforcing an additional 14 day home quarantine upon arrival from thai virus hot spots.

Not true is it? How many people do you know who actually WERE FORCED to do a double quarntine.

1 minute ago, Nout said:

Not true is it? How many people do you know who actually WERE FORCED to do a double quarntine.

Me for 1 and I know of others who came through Asq around the same time told to home quarantine on arrival at their home. Check the tatnews.org website for individual province quarantine requirements.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, grego49 said:

And no scams or tuk tuk mafia,,,

Not much fun either...Apart from Phuket I have never met a Tuk Tuk mafia and in my travels around Thailand these drivers were kind, helpful and supportive. As for scams, compared to dozens of others countries Thailand is relatively scam free..except for fools. I am not suggesting you are a fool. I suspect you are far too smart to get scammed. LOL

• Confused 1

6 minutes ago, Farma said:

Me for 1 and I know of others who came through Asq around the same time told to home quarantine on arrival at their home. Check the tatnews.org website for individual province quarantine requirements.

Did you isolate for 14 days? Were you monitored? Who checked on you? The people I know quarantined in Bangkok, then came to Pattaya and conducted there life, business, work and pleasure as normal.

12 minutes ago, Nout said:

Applying logic, who is going to front up for a holiday anywhere if they have 28 days of it they have to pay for, while confined to a hotel room?

Just now, Nout said:

Not much fun either...Apart from Phuket I have never met a Tuk Tuk mafia and in my travels around Thailand these drivers were kind, helpful and supportive. As for scams, compared to dozens of others countries Thailand is relatively scam free..except for fools. I am not suggesting you are a fool. I suspect you are far too smart to get scammed. LOL

Even the tuk tuks in Phuket are cheaper than taxis in most Western countries. Apparently $20 for an hour-long trip to Phuket Airport is a rip-off, according to the penny-pinchers ...

• Confused 1
  • Sad 2

Just now, Nout said:

Did you isolate for 14 days? Were you monitored? Who checked on you? The people I know quarantined in Bangkok, then came to Pattaya and conducted there life, business, work and pleasure as normal.

A representative of my local covid monitoring team showed up prior to my arrival requesting passport etc details about me. The ASQ or whoever the department is they report to had sent my details through.

Since arrival I send daily thermometer reading pics via LINE to the monitoring team. I've been told they could insist upon a daily visit to take my temp but we are familiar to the person responsible for monitoring me.

So, regardless of quarantines, PCR tests, whatever.

Try to get inside the head of an average tourist, and exclude the sexpests or those trying to return to families.

The real tourists have experienced economic turmoil we haven't seen in any of our lifetimes. Young families with kids trying to juggle work and home schooling for their kids, it's frikkin tough. Plus there is an element of fear. People aren't flying domestic 1-2 hour flights!

I just don't see those folks saying, "hey lets take the kids on an 18 hour flight to Thailand"

I just read a news report form our tourism agency, that visitors to South Dakota dropped by 13% YoY, but still managed to pull in 12M visitors, a lot better than many others.

But that I think is because it's a wilderness vacation which gave visitors relative confidence, and you can drive!

I work for Delta and we're still seeing domestic load factors around 50%, so folks still ain't flying.

Wait to see what the 2021 European & NA summer domestic tourism season for both visitor numbers and airline passengers before making any bold predictions about long haul vacations to Thailand 

• Like 2

I've heard these quarantines include a covid test once arrived, is there any need to stay the full 14 days if test shows negative?

Also it seems they've chosen 14 days because it happens to equate to exactly '2 weeks', rather than how long the exact number of days is necessary 

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, webfact said:

Just 346 overseas visitors have entered the country on average each month on special visas since October,”

Does that include the 40 odd private Chinese investors who came in on a private jet last fall .. what happened to them anyway , are they still " investing " ..

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

38 minutes ago, Nout said:

I know of no one that has been locked up in ASQ that carried on their life as normal. They were isolated in a room with meals delivered outside their door. 

Edited by bangsaenguy

1 hour ago, Bezdomny said:

Time for brush up  "SEXY" holidays. They should allow you to be quarantined with a nice girl from Isaan.  Win win situation! Lets not close one"s eyes to the truth, probably more than 70% man are coming because of a cheap sex.

Does include yourself? 

3 hours ago, VBF said:

Why would you say that?  My standard travel insurance includes much more than those levels of cover, as long as I remain a tourist and limit my trips to 90 days at a time.

Or are you looking at long-stay in excess of that?

But will your standard travel insurance sign the required certificate? Most will not and hence the problem. The wording of the required certificate is such that few companies are willing to sign. And nothi8ng other than that certificate iwll be accepted.

• Like 1

I see some saying that Europe is struggling with the vaccines.

The reality is, most of us here in Europe will be imunised by September, so general adults that time it well, and register early on the various online platforms, starting likely April, will be imunised by the beginning of May (which is what I am planning). At the age of 39, I estimate my first dose in April. If I was Thai and in Thailand, I would be imunised in 2022, and for expats, maybe 2023.

Edited by lkv
  • Like 1