Quarantines are killing Thailand’s tourism industry, and not even a long holiday can offset 14 days of isolation

webfact

4 minutes ago, RotBenz8888 said:

They will have to open for vaccinated tourists from low risk countries, when next high season starts. Of course with tests before departure and on arrival. 

Of course they do. They just cant keep closed and totally destroy tourism forever for the country.

Obviously after a significant amount of the Thai population is vaccinated, they have to open to low risk countries with tourists who have had the vaccine.

And I would be happy to have a test before i fly and on arrival if that was part of the condition to enter.

Just my opinion

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Big Yuley said:

Of course they do. They just cant keep closed and totally destroy tourism forever for the country.

Obviously after a significant amount of the Thai population is vaccinated, they have to open to low risk countries with tourists who have had the vaccine.

And I would be happy to have a test before i fly and on arrival if that was part of the condition to enter.

Just my opinion

.....but that it might well be the end of 2022 before that ‘significant amount’ has been vaccinated.

• Like 2

something interesting<
Singapore airlines will start Singapore- Phuket flights march 1st>
IF this happens, ( phuket airport is currently not open for international flights) we could get visitors from Australia and Singapore quarantining in Phuket..

and not having to go to Bangkok

and IF, they start the vaccine passports.

Yea, I know,  Lots of ifs

• Confused 1

And government forced business closures are destroying both the foreign as well as the domestic segment of the Thai economy.
But?
Like globally, those government officials destroying the small and medium business sector continue to get a paycheck and live the good life.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, webfact said:

Quarantines are killing Thailand’s tourism industry, and not even a long holiday can offset 14 days of isolation

Covid is killing people, and not even a long holiday can reduce the chances of that happening.

• Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

The quarantine is certainly a deterrent but not the only problem with the Special Tourist Visa.

The mandatory :400/40 insurance  is at least as much of an issue.

Why would you say that?  My standard travel insurance includes much more than those levels of cover, as long as I remain a tourist and limit my trips to 90 days at a time.

Or are you looking at long-stay in excess of that?

26 minutes ago, zzzzz said:

something interesting<
IF this happens, ( phuket airport is currently not open for international flights) we could get visitors from Australia and Singapore quarantining in Phuket..

& the biggest IF is not to tell Auss gov your travel is just for a holiday

Otherwise to the end of the que for you

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, connda said:

Can you supply the source to support your statement regarding "lower viral load?" 
All I've heard from the vaccine companies is that the vaccine will lessen the symptom if you contract the virus.  Well, unless still wearing 1 or 2 or 3 or more masks after getting the vaccine the maybe the viral load will be lessened.  I'm hearing now that at least 3 masks may now be required by each potential Covid carriers in order to stem the tide.  Maybe 4 or 5 soon.

"If neutralizing antibodies from the vaccines do their jobs, the viral load in a person infected with SARS-CoV-2 is much lower than in those who haven’t been vaccinated. A lower viral load may mean that they are less likely to infect others with the same efficiency that an unvaccinated person may."

https://www.forbes.com/sites/williamhaseltine/2021/01/27/israeli-study-shows-majority-of-those-vaccinated-can-be-infected-by-sars-cov-2/?sh=5e0861986053

31 minutes ago, zzzzz said:

something interesting<

You wont get any tourists from australia. The oz govt wont let you fly out as a tourist.

Tourism. Not needed.

1. The World Bank in news last week said the Thai Economy in 2021 will grow 4%. It grew 3.8% in 2019 with over 40 million tourist arrivals. So, no tourist needed.  The Economy is projected to grow more than  2019 with much less tourism.

2. "Finance Minister says economy must pivot away from tourism with a switch to S-Curve industries"

https://www.thaiexaminer.com/thai-news-foreigners/2020/12/03/finance-minister-economy-pivot-from-tourism/

I believe the Finance Ministry more than the Tourism Ministry. All Tourist industry's are trying to keep their chin up; but I think think it is clear that the Government want to move away from Tourism; and is trying to placate the those with investments in the tourism with unrealistic tourism projections.

Edited by exparte

5 minutes ago, RichardColeman said:

Heaven's mate exactly how long are you going to let that go on . If covid is supposedly here forever are you saying we will be only letting in fully tested tourists forever ? 

I believe they'll keep that requirement until the pandemic has calmed down significantly , who knows, but probably at least a year is my guess. 

• Thanks 1