Interest free loan from friend....now wants interest

1 hour ago, sidjameson said:

Gf got herself into a mess. Borrowed money from work colleague. Actually with 3% interest. But no written agreement.

Gf failed business. No way of paying it back.

Now gf got letter from colleagues lawyer saying pay it back by a date or interest will be charged as the law.

Gf freaking that "interest as the law states" is 15% and will lead her to a lifetime of debt.

She wants to try pay it back.....it's the question of interest that is scaring her.

Anyone know if this threat of setting  interest by the law is legal?

With only a verbal agreement. That work mate could very well claim that your girlfriend cheated him/her and that it was a scam. In which case your girlfriend has an even bigger problem than death for life. 

My advice, if she has the money, pay it back right now, the matter of the interests can be arranged later even in court. Without paying back the loaned money, problem will be big!

41 minutes ago, sidjameson said:

Gf got herself into a mess. Borrowed money from work colleague. Actually with 3% interest. But no written agreement.

Gf failed business. No way of paying it back.

Now gf got letter from colleagues lawyer saying pay it back by a date or interest will be charged as the law.

Gf freaking that "interest as the law states" is 15% and will lead her to a lifetime of debt.

She wants to try pay it back.....it's the question of interest that is scaring her.

Anyone know if this threat of setting  interest by the law is legal?

sid after it leaves you hands you will never see it again. 

• Like 1

Thanks for the replies.

This isn't a scam to get money from me. I'm sure of that. ( Caveat that nobody can be sure of anything )

Gf owed the money before she met me. It's 330,000bht and it's on top of other loans. 

She knows I won't bail her out.

She owed the money long time already. It was verbal, year ago she signed paper to say she owed it. Paper gives impression it's interest free now but will turn into interest if not paid.

She won't dump me, I know that.

She was awful with money before I met her. But has been very responsible for the last 5 years. But the past is overwhelming her.

She wants to pay it back. 

Thanks for the replies.

This isn't a scam to get money from me. I'm sure of that. ( Caveat that nobody can be sure of anything )

Gf owed the money before she met me. It's 330,000bht and it's on top of other loans. 

She owed the money long time already. It was verbal, year ago she signed paper to say she owed it. Paper gives impression it's interest free now but will turn into interest if not paid.

She was awful with money before I met her. But has been very responsible for the last 5 years. But the past is overwhelming her.

Sorry to hear these details.

Your gf seems to be honest but irresponsible.

So that raises the question: Can we farangs play the role of the social security system that Thailand does not have?

The answer to that question is clear... but it goes in against our Farang mindset.

Been there, done that, and regretted it - but would probably do it again.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Thanks for the replies.

330,000 THB is barely 100 times of fun if you had to pay for "it", keep that in mind ????

So if after 5 years in a relationship with her you are sure that you want that girlfriend, then bail her out, before that colleague takes her to court. Else, don't bother with it and let her deal with it herself..

Edited by ctxa

31 minutes ago, sidjameson said:

Thanks for the replies.

You are welcome

imo if she involves you now, it's because as you say she is now overwhelmed with the situation.

You state you are not going to bail her, and i think it's better to not do it, as she could think

at some point you are going to ''save'' her again in the future whatever the situation she is.

However you can still help her, but you need to know the exact situation, if you are not at the

moment in Thailand, it's near to impossible, If you are in Thailand, it will be hard but it's possible

you have to see all her bookbanks, all the papers about the debt and so on.

Be crystal clear, if she try to hide something, even something she consider as not important

she can start to search  new bf.

If she gives you all the elements you ask, i recomand to negociate a reimbursment with you, the colleague

the lawyer and your GF plus another person of confiance (If you don't speak Thai this person must be able to translate for you, don't trust your gf for an accurate traduction or you will probably understand only what they want you understand) and do together a precise plan for the next years, 330 000 is not the end of the world, if she is able to work and save 5000\month she can sort the situation in about 5 years. 

Of course if you can help with a first payement of 30 000 it could help in the negociation

but don't handle this money to your gf.

If you are not in Thailand (You haven't answered on this 

very important point) forget my advice, it's not going to work.

Talking about work you don't precise if she is actualy working or not?

If she has at the moment 0 income it's not going to help.

If she works you need to help her to do a budget, and to see where she can save money

and how she can earn more.

Most of the Thais have no idea of how to manage the monthly money, usualy they spend

their wage in the firts days then they rely on credits or other loops for the rest of the month

and they think all it's ok, sabai sabai, sanuk sanuk, untill the s'...t hit the fan !

Tell her to tell whoever it is to take her to court.

That will take a long time even if they actually bother.

Then the court will accept whatever is a realistic amount to pay based on her circumstances/job etc.

Once thats done she then has a manageable amount to pay regularly, no worry and its paid when its paid or as soon as she chooses to settle it.

Winning in court does not guarantee receipt of payment of any kind.

Tell her thats how you face and deal with your responsibilities, not by running hiding or hoping a sob story to the boyfriend will work.

Thanks for the replies.

the judge will ask to find a deal for repayment, setup a schedule of payment approved by the judge, repay over 10 years for example

she can default again after 1 year, and the other party will have to go to court again, and start the whole process, and re-negotiate the schedule of payments. That's how Thais do it. Eventually, the other party will give up because too much problem.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, oldhippy said:

...and nobody spares any thoughts for the collegue that lend the money without contract, without interest....

Yes honestly i feel sorry for the colleage

unfortunately my life experience taught me something:

if you loan money to a friend, you have a big risk to lose your money AND your friend

i did it 2 times (Of course at 0% interests) and lose some money (Not all) and the

2 friends in the process. The most painfull wasn't the money loss.

before someone says i have to chose my friends in a better way, i don't have a lot of them

as i am very picky about it, only 3 friends and we were friends from a very long time

(2 from the college years)

i still have the last one of my friends, but i let now the banks do their job when people want a loan

Edited by kingofthemountain
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, kingofthemountain said:

Be crystal clear, if she try to hide something, even something she consider as not important

she can start to search  new bf.

As much as I agree with the sentiment, it’s almost an impossible criteria.  

• Like 2