Residence Certificate Update

Pattaya Spotter

15 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

Never seen my name in English in any of my three blue books over the past 20 years. Mind you, none of them have been in or near Pattaya so...

YMMV

Very interesting...now I'm curious and will definitely give my books a look when I get back home. I know this is the case for condo "chanotes," they transliterate the foreign name into Thai, because i recently took one as security for a loan and had to ask a Thai to read out the last name to me and in Thiglish he got the foreigner's name out.

Edited by Pattaya Spotter

8 hours ago, Pattaya Spotter said:

Maybe your pal is "odd"...to register it maybe but certainly not to buy it. If the dealer is doing the registration (which most new car dealers do) people may confuse the needing the res cert for buying the vehicle,, when it's actually for the registration/transfer of the title from the dealer to the buyer.

You know him?

Well if splitting hairs is your specialty, go for it. But your statement could have been clear from start.... 

Edited by jacko45k

21 hours ago, Pattaya Spotter said:
21 hours ago, NanLaew said:

Never seen my name in English in any of my three blue books over the past 20 years. Mind you, none of them have been in or near Pattaya so...

YMMV

Very interesting...now I'm curious and will definitely give my books a look when I get back home. I know this is the case for condo "chanotes," they transliterate the foreign name into Thai, because i recently took one as security for a loan and had to ask a Thai to read out the last name to me and in Thiglish he got the foreigner's name out.

My name in Thai was copied from my yellow book which was needed to facilitate setting up the finance. This in turn used an official translation from my name in English in my passport. This translation was done at a local translation shop recognized by the amphur for all translation who then issued the yellow book. For consistency, this has been the translation used in more important documents such as my children's birth certificates.

On 2/7/2021 at 8:07 AM, Suphawk said:

If I get a residence certificate in Jomtien, will they accept it to buy a car in Bangkok?

I bought a car in Bangkok without a residence certificate. 

The day i left ASQ. 

Just the passport required. 

Transfer registration needed a certificate. 

• Like 1

Sigh. Maybe this will help get an answer.

If the poster buys a car in Bangkok, when he goes to transfer the registration into his name, will they (in Bangkok) accept a Certificate of Registration issued by the Jomtien Immigration office ?

I would assume they would, but normally they give you the red plate and then you have to go back (months later for some strange reason) to get the white plate. It's an antiquated system and a bit of a PITA.
For example, a couple years ago I had a fire that burnt the plate and tax decal of my bike. I went to the local DLT to inquire about getting a replacement plate and decal. I was told I'd have to go to Bangkok as that was where the vehicle was originally registered (when it was first imported). The DLT in Pattaya, for whatever reason, couldn't do it (which is pretty screwed up in this day and age).
However, it seems that the actual plate is from Chon Buri, so either the previous (Thai) owner transferred the registration after he bought the bike, or was able to use his Thai address when he initially bought it in Bangkok.

I'm guessing that hordes of people buy vehicles in Bangkok and take them back to their home provinces with no issue. (Though most of them are Thais and don't have to worry about things like Residency Certificates.)

Depending on who you are buying the vehicle from (i.e. a private sale or from a dealership), if the address is an issue perhaps the vehicle can be shipped to Chon Buri first ? (I don't know what hoops dealerships have to go through to move vehicles around the country before they hit the lot. Probably cost extra to have the vehicle transferred but if it can be done it may be worth it considering the hassle if they won't accept the Jomtien certificate in Bangkok.)

Let's imagine that the Thai government just might want to get more what might otherwise be farang owned assets into the hands of Thai's.  What better way to do it than to make the bureaucracy aspects tedious so farangs put the assets in Thai names to start with.

16 hours ago, OneZero said:

Let's imagine that the Thai government just might want to get more what might otherwise be farang owned assets into the hands of Thai's.  What better way to do it than to make the bureaucracy aspects tedious so farangs put the assets in Thai names to start with.

Yes, I have half made up my mind my next car or truck will be in my Mrs name... seems easier if anything happens to me and all this COR requirement makes it tedious. 

• Sad 1

16 hours ago, OneZero said:

Lets not.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, jacko45k said:

Yes, I have half made up my mind my next car or truck will be in my Mrs name... seems easier if anything happens to me and all this COR requirement makes it tedious. 

I have transferred both our Honda CRV cars to my wife, one less hassle and she will get any tickets as well now ????

• 8 months later...
On 2/7/2021 at 8:09 AM, Pattaya Spotter said:

There is no residence certificate required to buy or register a vehicle.

I was told by a main dealer i needed the resident certificate, so they could  register the car in my name maybe a different dealer might tweak the criteria

15 hours ago, royalmice said:

I would like to download the application form for residence cert,  to fill out at home.

Can someone tell me the correct TM number or the residence cert to download for residence cert to renew drivers licence.

Many Thanks

There is no TM number far as i know...............download from link below number 22 on the list

https://bangkok.immigration.go.th/en/downloads_en/

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, royalmice said:

I would like to download the application form for residence cert,  to fill out at home.

Can someone tell me the correct TM number or the residence cert to download for residence cert to renew drivers licence.

Many Thanks

Last time I obtained one (some time ago), I did that and they simply handed me a different one to fill in. 

• Haha 1

On 2/7/2021 at 8:34 AM, Peterw42 said:

That is simply not true, a res cert IS required to buy/sell a vehicle in thailand. Always has been

Maybe in your part of Thailand.

In the past ten years I have bought 4 new cars and one new motorbike and have never been asked for a residence certificate.

Driving licence renewal Yes.