Residence Certificate Update

Pattaya Spotter

6 hours ago, Pattaya Spotter said:

a one hour wait to pick up certificate.

I know this is the case, but why?

If it was a genuine certificate allowing you to reside permanently in Thailand then I could understand them wanting to check things, but just to buy a poxy motorbike, or renew a drivers licence, it's totally overboard. But hey, how would the Thai bureaucracy survive without their excessive paperwork, lol.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Pattaya Spotter said:

There is no residence certificate required to buy or register a vehicle.

Really, that is not what I was told. I have been told I need a work permit or a residence certificate.

Am I confusing this with something else? So many different requirements it's hard to keep them all straight. 

3 minutes ago, Suphawk said:

Really, that is not what I was told. I have been told I need a work permit or a residence certificate.

Am I confusing this with something else? So many different requirements it's hard to keep them all straight. 

Maybe you are confusing buying a car and obtaining a driver's license ???? 

Edited by Pattaya Spotter

6 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

I thought you needed  2... one to buy a new car and another to sell the old one!

Nope. I've bought 3 used cars and sold one and never needed a res cert. The cars were all re-registered in my name and I don't recall needing any residence certs for this. The residence certificate application form doesn't even list buying/selling vehicles as a reason for obtaining one. 

Yeah, the last time I went to buy a scooter they (Mityon) wouldn't sell me one because the Resident Certificate I had was  6 weeks old. I had to go to Jomtien to get a new one and then they (Mityon) had no problem.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

Odd, my pal showed up with his new car for a cuppa and told me you did.... 

Maybe your pal is "odd"...to register it maybe but certainly not to buy it. If the dealer is doing the registration (which most new car dealers do) people may confuse the needing the res cert for buying the vehicle,, when it's actually for the registration/transfer of the title from the dealer to the buyer.

1 minute ago, Peterw42 said:

That is simply not true, a res cert IS required to buy/sell a vehicle in thailand. Always has been

So back to the my other question , if I get my certificate from Jomtien, will they accept it in Bangkok?

I've heard of some things being province specific

3 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

That is simply not true, a res cert IS required to buy/sell a vehicle in thailand. Always has been

I think you're all confusing buying a vehicle with registering it (new) or transferring registration (used). Like I said, I've three vehicle purchases under my belt and don't recall getting RCs when re-registering them but I'm getting old so maybe I did. The most recent was 4 years ago. I certainly didn't get one when I sold one of them.

1 minute ago, Pattaya Spotter said:

Maybe your pal is "odd"...to register it maybe but certainly not to buy it. If the dealer is doing the registration too (which most new car dealers do) people may confuse the needing the res cert for the buying when it's actually for the registration/transfer ofmthe  edible title from the dealer to the buyer.

Buying a car is registering and transferring, otherwise you dont own the car.

How do you own a vehicle without having your name on the ownership documents, the blue/green book ?

1 minute ago, Peterw42 said:

Buying a car is registering and transferring, otherwise you dont own the car.

How do you own a vehicle without having your name on the ownership documents, the blue/green book ?

Well it's actually two separate transactions handled by two separate entities...a car seller (dealer or owner) and the Land Transportation Department. A dealer or owner can sell you a vehicle and whether you choose to register it into your name is completely up to you. Why should the seller care...they have your money. It often appears as a single transaction because as I said, in almost all NEW car purchases, the dealer does the registration for the buyer. With person-to-person used car sales this isn't the case (but is with used car dealers).

13 minutes ago, Kerryd said:

Yeah, the last time I went to buy a scooter they (Mityon) wouldn't sell me one because the Resident Certificate I had was  6 weeks old. I had to go to Jomtien to get a new one and then they (Mityon) had no problem.

Again, I think this has to do with registering the scoot and not buying it. Did you ask them to handle transferring title into your name for you?

9 minutes ago, Suphawk said:

So back to the my other question , if I get my certificate from Jomtien, will they accept it in Bangkok?

I've heard of some things being province specific

That should be no problem, they just want a Res Cert, it doesnt need to match the province the car is in.

Moving the car to another province, get chonburi plates etc, is a separate process.

• Thanks 1

The residence certificate is required to REGISTER a new vehicle...not to buy it.

All car registration paperwork is dealt with by the Department of Land Transport. The dealer should do it for you once all the following documents have been prepared:

Passport (signed copies of all visa pages and information page),
A signed copy of a work permit or a certificate of residency issued by the Immigration Bureau or the applicant’s embassy,
A valid Thai driving license.

https://www.expatden.com/thailand/buy-car-in-thailand/#Buying_Process

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Pattaya Spotter said:

required to REGISTER a new vehicle...not to buy it.

This is Thailand ,if the stealership wants to say it's required then it's required. Every dealership I've spoken with , that certifies the used car, wants the certificate. ????

8 minutes ago, Pattaya Spotter said:

Well it's actually two separate transactions handled by two separate entities...a car seller (dealer or owner) and the Land Transportation Department. A dealer or owner can sell you a vehicle and whether you choose to register it into your name is completely up to you. Why should the seller care...they have your money. It often appears as a single transaction because as I said, in almost all NEW car purchases, the dealer does the registration for the buyer. With person-to-person used car sales this isn't the case (but is with used car dealers).

Its not two separate transactions, the registration is the owners name in the ownership documents. The registration is the ownership, the name in the blue/green book is the owner.

You buy a car, you transfer the ownership and become the owner in the book, if your name isnt in the book you dont own the car.

Registration is ownership, there isnt a seperate ownership document

15 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

Registration is ownership, there isnt a seperate ownership document

I never said two different documents...I said two different transactions. You pay money to the dealer to buy the vehicle (transaction 1) you also usually pay a fee to the dealer and also to the LTD to register the vehicle (transaction 2 and different entity).

40 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

You are just being pedantic, not sure why.

To buy a car (become the new owner) you need to show a Res Cert. 

To say otherwise is just misinformation 

Pedantic semantic.

I wonder how many foreigners have had the dealership or an agent do their new car registration without the required resident certificate and checked who's name and address is in the blue book (in Thai).

1 hour ago, Peterw42 said:

You are just being pedantic, not sure why.

To buy a car (become the new owner) you need to show a Res Cert. 

To say otherwise is just misinformation 

I try to be precise and therefore words have meaning to me..."buying" and "registering" a car are two separate things. One requires a residence certificate and the other doesn't. 

Buy - transitive verb. 1 : to acquire possession, ownership, or rights to the use or services of by payment especially of money : purchase buy a car buying stock in the company bought us dinner. www.merriam-webster.com

Register; Registered; Registering: transitive verb

a: to make or secure official entry of in a register
b: to enroll formally especially as a voter or student
c: to record automatically
d: to make a record of

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/register

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

Pedantic semantic.

I wonder how many foreigners have had the dealership or an agent do their new car registration without the required resident certificate and checked who's name and address is in the blue book (in Thai).

If I'm not mistaken, in fact I'm almost sure, for foreign name registrations, the name is in English...not a Thai phonetic translation of the foreign name. I don't have access to my blue books at the moment to check.

35 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

Pedantic semantic.

My reasoning is most easily seen in the sale/purchase of a used vehicle between two individuals. Do you agree no RC is required of the seller? If so, the buyer pays the money and the seller signs a bill of sale and often a POA allowing the buyer to re-register the vehicle in their name. The "blue book" is also handed over. At this point the vehicle is "bought." No RC has been required up to this point, correct? From this point on, if the buyer wants to perfect his vehicle title they will register it in their name, which will require a RC...whether they do or not is immaterial to the seller.

1 hour ago, Pattaya Spotter said:

If I'm not mistaken, in fact I'm almost sure, for foreign name registrations, the name is in English...not a Thai phonetic translation of the foreign name. I don't have access to my blue books at the moment to check.

Never seen my name in English in any of my three blue books over the past 20 years. Mind you, none of them have been in or near Pattaya so...

YMMV