Vibe Opinions

DerbyDan

Is it worth coming to Pattaya for a semi-long (6-months) living situation, or is it a hassle getting food or going out for a beer?

I usually live in Jomtein or Pratamnak half the year. Party maybe once a week. Living on the darkside or away from the ocean is not an option for me.

Just want things to be relatively normal and not just everything shut down or people acting weird enough that staying becomes an issue. Opinions?

Is there anyone living there now in the central area who is carrying more or less as normal, or are expats just waiting to get out?

Is that construction nightmare along the main ocean drag finished yet?

Edited by DerbyDan
  • Haha 1

57 minutes ago, DerbyDan said:

Is it worth coming to Pattaya for a semi-long (6-months) living situation, or is it a hassle getting food or going out for a beer?

There is no hassle getting food nor beer......apart from the silly alcohol sale timings for supermarkets and convenience stores. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, thaisabai said:

There is also a curfew, the closing times changes frequently. At present it is midnight I believe.

I think you are mistaken as there is no curfew.

Officially bars/restaurants are currently supposed to stop serving alcohol at 11pm.  However someone I know was saying they were in a bar until 2am the other night.......

• Like 2

Its almost normal except its much quieter, not so many folks around in Jomtien. Food and beer available as normal, except all bars and restaurants, and everything else,  close at 11.00pm officially and the police do check!

There is still some construction going on in Thuppraya road near the beach, but almost finishes I think!

12 hours ago, DerbyDan said:

I usually live in Jomtein or Pratamnak half the year. Party maybe once a week. Living on the darkside or away from the ocean is not an option for me.

Just want things to be relatively normal and not just everything shut down or people acting weird enough that staying becomes an issue. Opinions?

Is there anyone living there now in the central area who is carrying more or less as normal, or are expats just waiting to get out?

Is that construction nightmare along the main ocean drag finished yet?

• Like 1

Life is fairly normal for older residents who do not "party". More and more bars and small restaurants are closing and have "For Rent" or "For Sale" signs on the shuttered premises. Food vendors along Jomtien Beach Road seem to be operating normally, and branded coffee shops (Amazon ex.) are open. It's not the bustling bar and party scene that it used to be, but those of us here for the long-term like the lack of Chinese tour buses or Russian tour groups. The air quality of late is bad due to prevailing winds from the N. that bring Bangkok pollution and smoke from burning fields, so there's that. My condo pool is open, and walks along Jomtien Dongtan Beach keep me happy. But If I were not already here, I wouldn't bother. There are better places than here. 

Edited by sghanchey
  • Like 2

No,it is not worth coming at the moment. It is a sad boring desolate place at present.The air is terrible,there is noisy renovation work all over the place the roads are are all having pipes laid etc.I am bored and miserable here and can't wait to go off somewhere else after this corona virus had subdued.

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, thaisabai said:

No worries. Mostly everything open (except the ones that had to permanently close). Drink and food no problem at all. Of course, if you ever have been here in normal "high season" you might find it quite different. Very few farangs around, you might sit alone in a restaurant or with very few people in a bar, but the service is friendlier and more efficient accordingly.

There is also a curfew, the closing times changes frequently. At present it is midnight I believe.

The usual street vendors are in abundance, traffic is much better than it used to be.

For the time being you should wear a mask when out and about; definitely in department stores and 7-11's.

Whilst it may not be mandatory, for the sake of your fellow inhabitants/visitors you are expected to do so.

Of course no need to wear masks in the restaurant or in the bar.

In some stores you may have to scan a code on your phone when entering or write down your name on a pad provided.

Welcome to peaceful Pattaya and enjoy it!

thaisabai

you have to id at some stores now? that's pretty crazy. what's that checking for?

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

Its' got non crowded bars, restaurants, beaches and streets.  Plenty of women.  Rents are cheap. 

BUT early official closing and alcohol rules of 11pm...

Noted that all places do not adhere to that.  That's a gamble if you are there the night owner isn't on time with his special license payment.

AND it seems to be one of the quickest to lockdown if someone in the country sneezes.

8 hours ago, DerbyDan said:

you have to id at some stores now? that's pretty crazy. what's that checking for?

It's the contact tracing scheme. Either scan a QR code or write name and phone number in a notebook so they can contact you if someone tests positive who visited or works at the store/shop/venue. 

7 hours ago, jomtienisgood said:

Go to the off-licence shops, no hassle with hours...

I have a distributor place near me where I can buy  a case or few bottles  anytime... but there is a brand of beer I like  that  I get from BIG-CX  or a 7-11... so often I am getting the timings wrong.

17 hours ago, jacko45k said:

I have a distributor place near me where I can buy  a case or few bottles  anytime... but there is a brand of beer I like  that  I get from BIG-CX  or a 7-11... so often I am getting the timings wrong.

11am - 1pm;  17-11pm( now...)