BTS pass ?

Brunolem

Years ago, when I used to live in Bangkok, I had a pass that I simply topped up for whatever amount I wanted, and used for as long as the money lasted, before topping it up again.

It seems that such a pass no longer exists, and apparently only a day pass is now available.

Is that right or is it possible to buy a pass with a longer duration, for people visiting for a week or so, for example?

21 hours ago, Yellowtail said:

As indicated, unless you ride most every day, the Rabbit stored value card is the way to go. 

If you do ride daily, you can get a monthly pass with a set number or trips, but it's use=it-or-lose-it.

I agree... I’d also add that for the monthly pass system, you’d be wise to “do the math” as the monthly passes assume a value of each trip of X ... regardless of how far YOUR actual trip is*. 

so you’d probably want to know how much is the cash price for your typical BTS ride, then look at the monthly pass to see if there’s a savings, and if so, is it enough.

(*I recall that some trips incur a modest cash-top up in addition to the use of one trip credit when using the monthly pass)

• Like 1

8 hours ago, new2here said:

I agree... I’d also add that for the monthly pass system, you’d be wise to “do the math” as the monthly passes assume a value of each trip of X ... regardless of how far YOUR actual trip is*. 

so you’d probably want to know how much is the cash price for your typical BTS ride, then look at the monthly pass to see if there’s a savings, and if so, is it enough.

(*I recall that some trips incur a modest cash-top up in addition to the use of one trip credit when using the monthly pass)

I know the monthly pass did not pencil out for my boy going to school at Triam downtown riding it most every day back  when school was open.

On 2/6/2021 at 1:57 AM, Yellowtail said:

As indicated, unless you ride most every day, the Rabbit stored value card is the way to go. 

If you do ride daily, you can get a monthly pass with a set number or trips, but it's use=it-or-lose-it.

Is the Rabbit card also use-it-or-lose-it? If not, one could buy it and use it whenever in Bangkok.

2 hours ago, elgenon said:

Is the Rabbit card also use-it-or-lose-it? If not, one could buy it and use it whenever in Bangkok.

No. You put money on the Rabbit card it stays on until it is used up. Never understand people waiting in line for change. To be honest, I am not positive this is the case, as I don't really know if there is an expiration date or not, but I do no that it's never expired on me and I've used the same card for years, including having it dormant while I was stuck in the US for five months due to the covid debacle..

The expiration date is about 5 years, then you need to replace the card.

You can add "credit" or "trips" to a Rabbit card.  Trips come in packages of 15/25/40 and expire after 30 days but give a discount on anything but the shortest trips.

Credit doesn't expire.

On 2/6/2021 at 2:37 PM, Brunolem said:

Years ago, when I used to live in Bangkok, I had a pass that I simply topped up for whatever amount I wanted, and used for as long as the money lasted, before topping it up again.

It seems that such a pass no longer exists, and apparently only a day pass is now available.

Is that right or is it possible to buy a pass with a longer duration, for people visiting for a week or so, for example?

I have a pass with my Bangkok Bank debit card, you just top it up at any station.

3 hours ago, possum1931 said:

I have a pass with my Bangkok Bank debit card, you just top it up at any station.

I am not sure I understand...

Did you get the pass from Bangkok Bank?

Or are you using your debit card as a pass?

Please explain (I have a Bangkok Bank debit card).

39 minutes ago, Brunolem said:

I am not sure I understand...

Did you get the pass from Bangkok Bank?

Or are you using your debit card as a pass?

Please explain (I have a Bangkok Bank debit card).

It was years ago, I am not sure what you call it, but I found out from someone here on Thaivisa, my own branch knew nothing about it, so I had to go to the main branch in Bangkok. they fixed it up for me. I use the actual debit card as a pass.

1 hour ago, possum1931 said:

It was years ago, I am not sure what you call it, but I found out from someone here on Thaivisa, my own branch knew nothing about it, so I had to go to the main branch in Bangkok. they fixed it up for me. I use the actual debit card as a pass.

It’s a debit card that is not tied to your account? 

1 minute ago, mogandave said:
2 hours ago, possum1931 said:

The Bangkok Bank Debit Card / Rabbit Card is tied to Union Pay and not the Master Card version. 

5 minutes ago, mogandave said:

But if it is tied to an account, why does it need to be topped-up at a station?

I meant that ‘its the same card’ - I’m not sure if the BTS transactions are directly deducted from the current account of the card holder. I guess the user may need to ‘top up’ the Rabbit Part of the account from time to time via mBanking etc.

I know that any top up does not need to take place at a BTS Station.

You don’t even need to top up the standard Rabbit Card at the BTS station, it can easily be topped up from mBanking or LinePay. 

2 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

The Bangkok Bank Debit Card / Rabbit Card is tied to Union Pay and not the Master Card version. 

Mine is a Visa, and a rabbit card. I just checked it and noticed the Rabbit card, it is not Union Pay.

3 hours ago, mogandave said:

I got it years ago, through my Bangkok bank account, it is a Visa debit card with a Rabbit on it, and I just top it up at any BTS station.

13 minutes ago, possum1931 said:
3 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Mine is a Visa, and a rabbit card. I just checked it and noticed the Rabbit card, it is not Union Pay.

Debit tied to a Bangkok Bank Savings account ? or a Visa Credit Card ? or an old card / older account ?

I just opened a Bangkok Bank Account - there was no option for a Visa Debit card.

https://www.bangkokbank.com/en/Personal/Cards

I think its only Master Card and Union Pay now.

7 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Debit tied to a Bangkok Bank Savings account ? or a Visa Credit Card ? or an old card / older account ?

I just opened a Bangkok Bank Account - there was no option for a Visa Debit card.

https://www.bangkokbank.com/en/Personal/Cards

I think its only Master Card and Union Pay now.

Not a savings account, a debit card account for about 13 years, one year left on it.

9 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Yes, they moved from Visa to Mastercard some years ago, for the debit card.

The credit card is still Visa.

21 hours ago, Yellowtail said:

Can you explain this?  Do you know what the 15/25/40 costs?

Can you select whether to use a "trip" or credit, and if so, how? 

It's on the BTS website here

https://www.bts.co.th/eng/tickets/ticket-rabbit-issuing.html

https://www.bts.co.th/eng/tickets/ticket-rabbit-valueandtrips.html

You can't choose whether to use trip or credit, if you have trips it will use that first. when trips are used up it will use credit. Some people have 2 cards for this reason.

Trips only work in the original BTS sections, the extensions require credit.

Edited by YT3k72Em

19 hours ago, YT3k72Em said:

It's on the BTS website here

https://www.bts.co.th/eng/tickets/ticket-rabbit-issuing.html

https://www.bts.co.th/eng/tickets/ticket-rabbit-valueandtrips.html

You can't choose whether to use trip or credit, if you have trips it will use that first. when trips are used up it will use credit. Some people have 2 cards for this reason.

Trips only work in the original BTS sections, the extensions require credit.

It sounds easier just to get the credit and worry about the small discounts. Yes?

And, maybe less confusing.

16 minutes ago, elgenon said:

It sounds easier just to get the credit and worry about the small discounts. Yes?

And, maybe less confusing.

For the casual user getting credit is by far the easiest method.

56 minutes ago, Crossy said:

For the casual user getting credit is by far the easiest method.

Thanks. And i guess best if you use the card for other purchases.

Is it true the credit never expires but the card expires in 5 years? Can the credit balance be transferred before the card expires?

5 minutes ago, elgenon said:

Thanks. And i guess best if you use the card for other purchases.

Is it true the credit never expires but the card expires in 5 years? Can the credit balance be transferred before the card expires?

You will never lose money, if you don't use the card for 3 years (I think) then it won't work, but the Ticket Office will re-activate for you. 

The card does expire eventually, but the staff will move your balance over to the new card, I don't recall if there's a fee payable for the new card.

2 minutes ago, Crossy said:

You will never lose money, if you don't use the card for 3 years (I think) then it won't work, but the Ticket Office will re-activate for you. 

The card does expire eventually, but the staff will move your balance over to the new card, I don't recall if there's a fee payable for the new card.

ThanksI  I will get one Rabbitt once the powers-that-be allow my body back into the Royal Kingdom.

So just tap the card like a regular ticket? Can it be used on the MRT? Sorry for all the questions.

6 minutes ago, elgenon said:

So just tap the card like a regular ticket? Can it be used on the MRT? Sorry for all the questions.

Tap on entry, tap on exit. Reload at the ticket office or the newer ticket machines.

Currently it doesn't work on the MRT (you need an MRTplus card for that), but the government are pushing all parties for interoperability (Rabbit on MRT, MRTplus on BTS), politics and commercial issues are, as usual, the sticking points.

Rabbit currently works on the BTS, Gold Line, BRT (Bus Rapid Transit) and will work on the Pink and Yellow Line monorails when they open in 2022.

3 minutes ago, Crossy said:

Tap on entry, tap on exit. Reload at the ticket office or the newer ticket machines.

Currently it doesn't work on the MRT (you need an MRTplus card for that), but the government are pushing all parties for interoperability (Rabbit on MRT, MRTplus on BTS), politics and commercial issues are, as usual, the sticking points.

Same details for MRTplus? Sounds like i should get both if don't lose any money.