Aggressive uncontrolled dogs ( What are my rights? )

3 hours ago, possum1931 said:

Another member of the "scared your own shadow" brigade. ????

It's just a matter of RESPECTING the law when you are a guest in another country, and besides, an actual weapon may sound like a viable idea but by the time a weapon can be accessed and used, a dog that is bent on attacking you will have already done so.  The mere aggressive gesture of raising your arm like you're going to throw something is usually much more effective. 

And if it does come to defending yourself, learn to use your body as a weapon!  A well placed kick in the teeth if you're wearing sturdy shoes is very effective at changing the attitude of an overly aggressive dog.  I've had to do that a few times and it works quite well!

I'm always amused by newbie bike riders packing weapons like stun guns, pepper sprays, etc... .  Now THAT is an example of the "scared of your own shadow" brigade!  Just no need for that at all.

Edited by WaveHunter
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, WaveHunter said:

It's just a matter of RESPECTING the law when you are a guest in another country, and besides, an actual weapon may sound like a viable idea but by the time a weapon can be accessed and used, a dog that is bent on attacking you will have already done so.  The mere aggressive gesture of raising your arm like you're going to throw something is usually much more effective.  And if it does come to defending yourself, learn to use your body!  A well placed kick in the teeth if you;re wearig sturdy shoes is very effective.  No need to walk around with a weapon like you're Rambo LOL!

No 1. I am not a guest in this country, I am treated like a common criminal having to report to my local immigration office every 90 days. No 2. As for respecting the law, never, I will always try and work my way around any laws that I do not agree with. No 3. When I am riding my bicycle, I only have a large stone in my basket, and will, and have, used it on dogs which are attacking me.

i am not Rambo, but at least I would be a better actor.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, possum1931 said:

No 1. I am not a guest in this country, I am treated like a common criminal having to report to my local immigration office every 90 days. No 2. As for respecting the law, never, I will always try and work my way around any laws that I do not agree with. No 3. When I am riding my bicycle, I only have a large stone in my basket, and will, and have, used it on dogs which are attacking me.

i am not Rambo, but at least I would be a better actor.

Well, I'm sorry you have such a dim view of living here in the Kingdom but in fact, it is a privilege for a foreigner to live here, not a right.  Immigration laws are actually intended to protect everyone (including us Farangs) against undesirables (i.e.: criminals) so the only people who should feel a need to skirt the rules are in fact criminals.  For everyone else, the rules and the laws here may be trying at times, but certainly not unfair or overwhelming.

As for riding around with a rock in your bike basket, it's really not necessary.  If it makes you feel more secure, well okey doke then, but I ride hundreds of kilometers a week on my road bike, and ride my mountain bike on desolate trails regularly where there are plenty of feral dog packs and have never felt the need to carry any sort of "weapons".  A well placed kick in the snout is all I have ever had to resort to really, and even that was only on a couple of occasions in the thousands of kilometers I've ridden.

My point on all of this is simply:  Go with the flow and be happy; don't look for trouble.  As for disputing Stallone's (Rambo) acting abilities, well I sorta agree with you on that at least ????

Edited by WaveHunter
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, RocketDog said:

Of course one can order nearly anything from anywhere. 

That really wasn't my point. 

But nevermind. 

Enjoy your bear spray. 

Your point was availability, yes? My point is, it is available, you just have to do your research on where to get it, but apparently that’s already asking too much, if it’s not available at Macro...

This thread is sociologically fascinating.

It clearly shows that in a given challenging situation some choose to act entirely from their fear, surrendering to their base instincts, like the animals that challenge them.

Others use their advanced reasoning ability to formulate a variety of more thoughtful approaches and then choose the least harmful approach to all parties concerned. In other words they use their brains.

I know which group I would choose as allies especially in a dangerous situation.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

I use the fake rock pick up and chicken bone method in the neighborhood, takes some time for results.  If dogs come running squat down like you are picking up a rock, dogs in the neighborhood after several times of the fake squat and throwing out some chicken bones from my ziplock bag works and leave me alone.  There are only a few that don't respond and they try to quietly get behind you to bite you and need a real rock and wont forget you.   Those ones never quit. 

• Haha 1