Aggressive uncontrolled dogs ( What are my rights? )

My neighbor 2 houses away has 4 dogs that continue to be aggressive to joggers, motorcyclists and bicycle riders. My wife was bitten on the foot while on motorbike yesterday and recently a young girl was knocked off her bicycle. They howl in the mornings and all through the night. I have purchased a dog whistle and want to but a slingshot but I am wary of unknown laws or regulations. What are my or any ones rights when dealing with this problem?

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Morch said:

Because I like living here, and I'm not actively looking for trouble. If I can deal with things without violence or direct confrontation, all the better.

If you live in a city, maybe different. Village life can be different.

I lived both in city and village, if my wife gets bitten by his dog, he will pay, end of story.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Morch said:

If I can deal with things without violence

and want to buy a slingshot?.....not a good idea.....that will invite a crossbow...then knife...then gun.

If you can get hold of a frontline, human TB antibiotic I have a solution.

3 minutes ago, Pilotman said:

It can be different, but you can't be the only one impacted and in my experience, the village need to know that you are not a push over, and that you just want to live in harmony with your fellows.  

1 minute ago, FritsSikkink said:

I lived both in city and village, if my wife gets bitten by his dog, he will pay, end of story.

I agree that it needs to be dealt with, just doubt that getting in people's faces does a whole lot of good here, most times. Showing you're not a pushover is one thing, beating the <deleted> out of someone is another. Try to bear in mind we're not in Kansas anymore, Dorothies.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Morch said:

I agree that it needs to be dealt with, just doubt that getting in people's faces does a whole lot of good here, most times. Showing you're not a pushover is one thing, beating the <deleted> out of someone is another. Try to bear in mind we're not in Kansas anymore, Dorothies.

Been around here for 40 years, works fine to let people know you have power.

• Sad 4

2 minutes ago, cnxgary said:

So am I permitted to use a sling shot? Any laws against that? What if I injure a dog?

Injuring  an animal is an offense. So probably not a great idea. All the more so if there's an owner and if people see you at it.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, WaveHunter said:

Carrying a "weapon" which is what a sling shot is...probably not a wise idea.  However, Injuring an aggressive dog, even fatally, with a stick, rock, etc... that you reasonably believe is an eminent threat is entirely appropriate...and even if there was legal fallout, i'd rather deal with that than a visit to the hospital...or worse!

Quite a few Thai runners were we used to live....some ran with a smallish stick....experience I guess.

2 minutes ago, Surelynot said:

Quite a few Thai runners were we used to live....some ran with a smallish stick....experience I guess.

Yeah, carrying stick is appropriate but carrying a concealed weapon (sling shot, pepper spray, whatever) is not. More effective IMO too.  Sling shots, pepper spray, etc take too much time and a dog will not visually recognize it as a threat, whereas challenging the dog by quickly raising a stick in the air and yelling will clearly be recognized.

Edited by WaveHunter
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, WaveHunter said:

Carrying a "weapon" which is what a sling shot is...probably not a wise idea.  However, Injuring an aggressive dog, even fatally, with a stick, rock, etc... that you reasonably believe is an eminent threat is entirely appropriate...and even if there was legal fallout, i'd rather deal with that than a visit to the hospital...or worse!

Stick or boot for me. Yes, circumstances matter and sure, if push comes to shove, no problems. As said, stuff that can be considered a weapon or intentional attack, not so much.