Pattaya to become the next Miami and on a par with Singapore and Dubai, says mayor

webfact

If they setup special offshore ownership and taxation laws then it could be doable. If you go to any offshore company formation site, Thailand is not there. Belize, Singapore, Cyprus, Hong Kong are there. But Thai officials probably are too proud to implement those needed changes. 

• Sad 1

7 hours ago, wasabi said:

Yes they should improve it and I do enjoy visiting Pattaya, but wanting it to become a world class city will not make it so. Firstly taking Miami for example -- it has a rich history and natural resources you can't just will Pattaya to have. In addition to this favorable tax laws in Florida attract a number of businesses. Same is true in their own ways for Dubai and Singapore. They each offer qualities built over time that can't be injected into Pattaya's economy because they want it to be so.  They want to get rid of the Red Light districts, be my guest I hope they can improve it, but I can see very little to replace it that will ever make it a hot destination. But I'm sure the hordes of flag waving Chinese tour buses will come back ready to spend 200 THB a day.

The general trend be it bringing back tourists or improving the economy seems to be who can cook up the most outlandish projection with no accountability or possibility those projections will be reached.

In the end these wishful thinking projections hurt more than help. It's great to dream but setting realistic goals would be better.

You'll try to explain him?????

????????

Miami, Singapore and Dubai are quite different from one another (I've visited all three). Which one is it gonna be?

Pattaya is a different kettle of fish altogether. Personally, I have my doubts as far as any rebranding strategies are concerned - this has been tried and has FAILED before!

To me, announcements such as this one look more like desperation than anything else. I'm even sympathetic, I'd be desperate at this point myself.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Jingthing said:

If you really want it be like Miami you're gonna need more Cubans, Venezuelans, and New York Jews.

All depends which part in Miami?

22 Billionaires live in Miami, which is also home to a slew of famous superstars.

Star Island, Palm Island, Biscayne Bay, N Bay Road

All have homes in the US $25,000,000+ to $60,000,000 range

Even driving through South Beach, one will a multitude of the world's most expensive cars an a host of famous celebrities on any given day.

8 hours ago, webfact said:

Pattaya Mayor Sonthaya Khunplume has revealed ambitious plans to transform the resort into a truly world class tourist destination, on a par with the likes of Dubai,

Yea I can see where he's going with this .. Patt's is known for humping and Dubai has camels .. give Mayor a point for thinking outside the box .. 

• Haha 2

Pattaya is also known as a hub of criminal activities with both Thai and foreign mafia well represented. The mayor's distinguished father, who was mayor before him, was in fact convicted of murder and fraud. Although this was not mentioned, it is something that anyone seeking to set up non-tourism related business there would do well to bear in mind.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Justgrazing said:

Yea I can see where he's going with this .. Patt's is known for humping and Dubai has camels .. give Mayor a point for thinking outside the box .. 

Trouble is the Mayor probably hasn't been to Dubai, i used to be based there, glass and concrete and expensive boring bars.......   The Russian hookers are probably the only thing Dubai and Pattaya have in common.......

Certainly not a place i want to go back to or replicate in Thailand......