Pattaya to become the next Miami and on a par with Singapore and Dubai, says mayor

webfact

Pattaya to become the next Miami and on a par with Singapore and Dubai, says mayor

MIAMI.jpg

Miami. File photo for reference only

Pattaya Mayor Sonthaya Khunplume has revealed ambitious plans to transform the resort into a truly world class tourist destination, on a par with the likes of Dubai, Singapore and Miami.

Speaking to Sophon Cable TV on Tuesday, Mr Sonthaya said that the project to develop the resort (dubbed Neo Pattaya) will play an important role in the Eastern Economic Corridor, which aims to spur business, investment and development throughout the eastern seaboard.

When tourism finally resumes, more quality tourists, generating even more income will visit the resort, Mr Sonthaya predicted.

Eventually, Pattaya will become not only a better place for tourists, but will be much improved for people living and working in the city.

The mayor cited Singapore, Dubai and Miami as examples for Pattaya to follow in its bid to become a world class resort, which eventually would include an exciting nightlife, lots of activities for families and a diverse economy.

The mayor added that Old Town Naklua, Koh Larn, Bali Hai Pier, Khao Thap Phraya, Pattaya Beach Walk and Jomtien Beach have all been earmarked for redevelopment, in addition to the upgrades planned for Walking Street.

The news comes as local officials and business leaders, including the mayor himself, were told Pattaya must end its reliance on foreign tourism. 

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2021-02-10

• Replies 309
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, webfact said:

Pattaya Mayor Sonthaya Khunplume has revealed ambitious plans to transform the resort into a truly world class tourist destination, on a par with the likes of Dubai, Singapore and Miami.

Image result for laughing

Yes they should improve it and I do enjoy visiting Pattaya, but wanting it to become a world class city will not make it so. Firstly taking Miami for example -- it has a rich history and natural resources you can't just will Pattaya to have. In addition to this favorable tax laws in Florida attract a number of businesses. Same is true in their own ways for Dubai and Singapore. They each offer qualities built over time that can't be injected into Pattaya's economy because they want it to be so.  They want to get rid of the Red Light districts, be my guest I hope they can improve it, but I can see very little to replace it that will ever make it a hot destination. But I'm sure the hordes of flag waving Chinese tour buses will come back ready to spend 200 THB a day.

The general trend be it bringing back tourists or improving the economy seems to be who can cook up the most outlandish projection with no accountability or possibility those projections will be reached.

In the end these wishful thinking projections hurt more than help. It's great to dream but setting realistic goals would be better.

1 minute ago, ChipButty said:

Im afraid the name Pattaya has, will never change no matter what you do to it, 

I agree. In the rest of the world, the same is largely true of the brand "Thailand" - equating with all sorts of undesirable attributes.

I hated Pattaya the first time I had to go there and have never seen any reason to change my view. "World-class"? "On a par with Singapore"? I don't even laugh any more. It always has been [deleted] and always will be.

Far, far too late for that.  They should have planned that 35 years ago, when they just took the cash and sod the future.  It has been 'planned' atrociously and is a nightmare to walk around, drive around, or get around using what laughingly  passes for public transport.  The services are appallingly bad and the place floods regularly.  The sea is dirty and polluted, as is the atmosphere. Even the supposed 5 star hotels can't compete with other upmarket destinations.    Forget it, it cannot happen, unless you knock the whole place down and start again. 

1 hour ago, webfact said:

😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂

57 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

If you really want it be like Miami you're gonna need more Cubans, Venezuelans, and New York Jews.

Don't forget Don Johnson and Philip Michael Thomas!

1995.jpg?width=620&quality=85&auto=forma

1 minute ago, Crossy said:

And don't forget Don Johnson and Philip Michael Thomas!

ya'll know the minute you saw this picture that awesome intro song came into your head and for a brief moment you were thrown back to younger days when you thought you were as cool as these 2. 

you ain't got the ferrari or hair either.....

1 hour ago, webfact said:

The mayor cited Singapore, Dubai and Miami as examples for Pattaya to follow in its bid to become a world class resort

But, I have been lead to believe for the past few years that Pattaya WAS an international world class family resort? Was I mislead? 🤔

3 minutes ago, Crossy said:

Don't forget Don Johnson and Philip Michael Thomas!

I think that phrase 'Pattaya Vice' has already been used here for many many years 

Just now, PatOngo said:

But, I have been lead to believe for the past few years that Pattaya WAS an international world class family resort? Was I mislead? 🤔

oh dear. You are in error my friend. in trying to connect today's statement, with last weeks, or last month's, or last year's. They have no meaningful connection with each other.  😏

Archived