New Zealand Maori leader ejected from parliament for not wearing a necktie

webfact

1 hour ago, sirineou said:

If there is a rule that a tie must be worn , then a tie must be worn.I also think it is a stupid rule But  As you said if Rawiri Waititi thinks it is a stupid rule he should petition to change it. 

Befehl ist befehl, while waiting for new orders?

Without Rawiri the befehl would still exist.

A history of where the Tie came from.  All about society and showing you were either appreciated, used for showing courageousness, and then for fashion.  Stupid really, only thing I ever found a tie good for was for wiping my face when I did not have a napkin, of course I used the backside.

This Is Why Neckties Were Originally Invented - I'm A Useless Info Junkie (theuijunkie.com)

• Like 2

11 hours ago, PatOngo said:

Neckties! The most useless piece of apparel ever invented, I have a hard time trusting people who wear neckties!

I  have many beautiful ties I purchase in Thailand. Silk and nice patterns. A  beautiful tie and a pressed well fitting cotton shirt project a good image when needed.   Sometimes when we go for dinner we dress up a small amount for change of pace and to bring some decorum of presence back to our lives. Disciplined dress encourages disciplined presence. In Thailand everyone have uniform. The uniform of lower classes is flip flops, t shirts and how we present determines how we will be treated.

You don't trust the people who wear necktie. Ok. That would be your problem because I do not think they come to you for help or service. I expect it is you who must seek them out and whether you trust them or not does not matter to them. In life we must dress appropriately for situation.   

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Patong2021 said:

I  have many beautiful ties I purchase in Thailand. Silk and nice patterns. A  beautiful tie and a pressed well fitting cotton shirt project a good image when needed.   Sometimes when we go for dinner we dress up a small amount for change of pace and to bring some decorum of presence back to our lives. Disciplined dress encourages disciplined presence. In Thailand everyone have uniform. The uniform of lower classes is flip flops, t shirts and how we present determines how we will be treated.

You don't trust the people who wear necktie. Ok. That would be your problem because I do not think they come to you for help or service. I expect it is you who must seek them out and whether you trust them or not does not matter to them. In life we must dress appropriately for situation.   

Do you predate the sixties?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, condohope said:

Shame on the speaker! He ought to be sued for discrimination. For the fun of it one could wear a tie around his or her ankle. Do women trans etc. have to wear a tie in the NZ house? Pure inequality!

Rambo would be allowed into  the NZ parliament.....

Sylvester Stallone Will Direct, Star In Rambo: Last Blood ...

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, oldhippy said:

QUOTE from OP:

Nearly half of the 120 seats in parliament are held by women.

Are they wearing ties?

To my knowledge women are never required to wear neckties period. unless they are in the military

• Confused 1

23 hours ago, Pilotman said:

Good old NZ, still stuck in the 1960s.

Bit of a deflection there! The rules were apparently approved by a majority of the members. If they want to change the rules they can do so if they can get a majority to do so.

BTW, NZ was a lot better place in the 60s, IMO, so nothing wrong with that. Certainly had better music, and the tv was excellent in the early 60s ( I didn't see a tv till 1963 ).

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Bit of a deflection there! The rules were apparently approved by a majority of the members. If they want to change the rules they can do so if they can get a majority to do so.

BTW, NZ was a lot better place in the 60s, IMO, so nothing wrong with that. Certainly had better music, and the tv was excellent in the early 60s ( I didn't see a tv till 1963 ).

"If they want to change the rules they can do so if they can get a majority to do so."

You're aware the rules have been changed?

• Thanks 2

23 hours ago, AndyFoxy said:

I’m sure he will claim racism.

Well, if you were kicked out of the national parliament to which you had been duly elected of your homeland of your ancestors going back thousands of years over a fashion edict that represents colonialism, I am sure you would not be best pleased. If you believe that colonialism is equivalent to racism, which it usually was, then yes.

• Sad 1

30 minutes ago, stevenl said:

"If they want to change the rules they can do so if they can get a majority to do so."

You're aware the rules have been changed?

No I hadn't, but thanks for informing me.

I haven't worn a tie since I left the military many decades ago, so I'm not a believer in them. However, we can't ignore the rules, though we can get them changed if we can muster enough support.

21 minutes ago, spiekerjozef said:

What idiot invented the necktie anyway?

You missed my post and the answer on page 5 .  Here it is again

A history of where the Tie came from.  All about society and showing you were either appreciated, used for showing courageousness, and then for fashion.  Stupid really, only thing I ever found a tie good for was for wiping my face when I did not have a napkin, of course I used the backside.

This Is Why Neckties Were Originally Invented - I'm A Useless Info Junkie (theuijunkie.com)

Edited by ThailandRyan
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, thaibeachlovers said:

No I hadn't, but thanks for informing me.

I haven't worn a tie since I left the military many decades ago, so I'm not a believer in them. However, we can't ignore the rules, though we can get them changed if we can muster enough support.

I thought we did away with all that tie - nonsense in 1968.

Must have slipped in again through the back door?

20 hours ago, Caldera said:

as long as he doesn't show up stark naked.

In that case, apparently, he would be in traditional Maori men's attire, except for a "penis cord."

Male modesty was maintained by wearing penis cords. During the times of James Cook’s voyages, women were described as always wearing something round their waists. When a party of Cook’s men surprised a group of naked women gathering shellfish, the women hid themselves among the rocks until they managed to make maro of seaweed to wear.  https://teara.govt.nz/en/maori-clothing-and-adornment-kakahu-maori/print#:~:text=Māori wore a wide range,garments%2C belts and sometimes sandals.&text=Waist garments comprised maro (frontal,variety of kilt-like garments.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

:cheesy:

NZ is not Australia and the Maoris have not been living in NZ for "thousands" of years. Do try and get the facts right.

Maori arrived in in New Zealand in the mid 1200s AD.....according to legend the name Aotearoa means The Long White Cloud and was named this by one of the Chiefs wives as they approached the land

13 minutes ago, oldhippy said:
1 hour ago, bangon04 said:

Thai Parliament should adopt pre 1935 national dress for official functions

Yes!!! We want to see tits - without paying for the privelege.

Televised parliament doesn't have this covered?

• Sad 1

12 hours ago, Proboscis said:

Well, if you were kicked out of the national parliament to which you had been duly elected of your homeland of your ancestors going back thousands of years over a fashion edict that represents colonialism, I am sure you would not be best pleased. If you believe that colonialism is equivalent to racism, which it usually was, then yes.

Think you need to read up on your NZ history.

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Hanuman2547 said:

Do the women MP's have to wear ties as well?

Other than wearing a tie are there other dress codes?  Women have to wear dresses?

There are some strange dress rules everywhere.

in my state in oz 20 years ago solicitors in court must wear a suit and tie. Female solicitors not allowed suit pants, must be a skirt.