2021 Ford Everest or 2021 Fortuner

tommytank

Smee again!

I can't do it.  I just can't buy a Mazda CX-5.  I know it's a great car, but I think they look awful.

So now I'm left with either a Ford Everest or a Fortuner.

I had an Everest about 4 years ago and it was great.  That was the old 3.2L version.  I remember back then the new Fortuner had come out and it got slated compared to the Everest.  I'm just wondering if there has been any improvements to the Fortuner over the past 3-4 years?   The new Everest is also the 2.0 bi-turbo model - not sure how it compares to the old 3.2?

Thanks, Tom.

• Haha 1

The 2L bi-turbo rates better than the old 3.2L. Take a look at the model comparison videos on Youtube (there are many focused on these models) for an informed view. The Everest fairs better in the Youtube reviews than the Fortuner.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

I'm in a similar position as I'll be replacing my 3.2 Everest next year. Reviews say the new 2.0 Everest is quicker with.better fuel fuel consumption but the suspension is now a bit softer at the expense of handling. The new Fortuner has an uprated engine with similar power to the Ford. The handling isn't as good, doesn't have terrain management & still has the stupid seat configuration for 3rd row seats.

An all new Everest debuts next year so I would wait for that. It's supposed to have uprated egines possibly including a PHEV. I'm also planning to test the Volvo XC40 and the Mitsubishi PHEV SUV.

• Like 1

The Everest is huge compared to the CX5 and the XC40.  Our Everest is an MY15 T+ and will keep it. If we were to bin it I think we would go for the Volvo V60. Had quite a few laps in it at the last Volvo Test Day ... impressed. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, JAS21 said:

The Everest is huge compared to the CX5 and the XC40.  Our Everest is an MY15 T+ and will keep it. If we were to bin it I think we would go for the Volvo V60. Had quite a few laps in it at the last Volvo Test Day ... impressed. 

My Volvo engine died at 51,000 miles S60 , Never Again 50,000 was warranty 

• Sad 1

We were in a similar situation a few years ago when the new Fortuner was just out and we either wanted that one or the Everest. Basically most people said the Everest is the better car overall, but the Fortuner has a better resale value and maintenance is easier/cheaper (especially in Phuket). Add that Ford had some problems with the automatic gears a few years ago (on another model car) and had to be sued before they took responsibility: i wont be buying a Ford in Thailand the coming decades. We finally took the Fortuner (top model) and not a day of regret.

• Like 1

Ford Vs Volvo, in Thailand, Volvo is a money pit. Look at the depreciation. As well as the direct loss, this usually tells you something about reliability in the long run too. I was tempted with the 400hp of the Volvo but it is hard to justify throwing so much money away.  I was 98% ready to buy a Titanium + (would have gone for the Sport but wanted 4WD),  but at the last minute, saw the light and bought a Raptor ???? Same price, more space for luggage and for me enough seats. Superb suspension and brakes, built incredibly strong and has lovely sports seats, paddle shift etc. My only gripe is in Thailand, a couple of the features are missing, notably adaptive cc. On the plus side 6 modes and plenty of tracks around here to make dust clouds. Looks way more aggressive and not as common as the Everest and Fortuna etc. CX5, lovely car but, yes car and not really in the same league when it comes to potholes etc. As for the PHEV version of  the Fords, well now it seems we will be waiting until 2023 MY so who knows what will be available by then?  My feeling is EVs will be the way to go by 2023 and PHEVs will be looking very much the stop gap powertrain that they really are. How that will leave the current Ford complex Biturbo 2.0 with 10AT, maybe looking overly complicated but my feeling is, like two stroke motorcycles, the last gen ICE cars will be ones which are appreciated in the future. All conjecture of course, and if Toyota solid state batteries become mainstream, well everything else is just going to look like it is in the steam age including PHEVs.

Edited by tyga
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, Bob12345 said:

We were in a similar situation a few years ago when the new Fortuner was just out and we either wanted that one or the Everest. Basically most people said the Everest is the better car overall, but the Fortuner has a better resale value and maintenance is easier/cheaper (especially in Phuket). Add that Ford had some problems with the automatic gears a few years ago (on another model car) and had to be sued before they took responsibility: i wont be buying a Ford in Thailand the coming decades. We finally took the Fortuner (top model) and not a day of regret.

So instead of 4 years of fun ownership you decided for 4 years of misery with a happy ending of better resale value.......... as they say - to each his own.

• Haha 1

Ford vs Toyota?  I'd take the Toyota all day everyday!  Volvos and Mazdas aren't that great.  I've owned a lot of Toyotas over the years both in my home country and in Thailand.  I have never had real serious problems with them and I always got thousands of KM's out of them.  

• Like 1

I am also on the market for new wheels here in 2021, the 2.2WT is from 2013 but still going strong.

I have been thinking about the MG hybrid but I am just worried it's too complex and will ending up giving problems.

Might end up with the Mazda CX-30 but will likely keep the truck, don't need the CX5 but my friend been very happy with his, would love to have the 2.5L but a bit overkill for us.

Having 2 set of wheels is handy when one is in the workshop after a fender bender, ha-ha.

The Raptor is an awesome beast but way too big for Pattaya and so is the Everest/Tuna.

EV's maybe in 4-5 years time?? The EV's don't demand much service as the hybrids does (engine start/stops all the time).

3 hours ago, Hanuman2547 said:

Ford vs Toyota?  I'd take the Toyota all day everyday!  Volvos and Mazdas aren't that great.  I've owned a lot of Toyotas over the years both in my home country and in Thailand.  I have never had real serious problems with them and I always got thousands of KM's out of them.  

Same here. Toyota all day long.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, mistral53 said:

So instead of 4 years of fun ownership you decided for 4 years of misery with a happy ending of better resale value.......... as they say - to each his own.

If you had so much fun ownership with your Ford, you wouldn't have to come down on me for making another choice. Feeling a bit insecure about your purchase? 

13 hours ago, guzzi850m2 said:

I am also on the market for new wheels here in 2021, the 2.2WT is from 2013 but still going strong.

I have been thinking about the MG hybrid but I am just worried it's too complex and will ending up giving problems.

Might end up with the Mazda CX-30 but will likely keep the truck, don't need the CX5 but my friend been very happy with his, would love to have the 2.5L but a bit overkill for us.

Having 2 set of wheels is handy when one is in the workshop after a fender bender, ha-ha.

The Raptor is an awesome beast but way too big for Pattaya and so is the Everest/Tuna.

EV's maybe in 4-5 years time?? The EV's don't demand much service as the hybrids does (engine start/stops all the time).

Clearly EV's will be the future. We have a PHEV and I wondered if certain things would wear out quicker and as the model we bought has a history we opted for manufactures warranty up to eight years ... not cheap but will be able to sleep at night after the normal 3-year warranty ends .......  

I don't drive it on the battery for the first couple of kms. I warm the engine up as if harsh acceleration is needed then it is best avoided on a cold engine. If I know that I'm going to hit heavy traffic then I save the battery for when I get there and run on battery only. Here is an article on Pros and Cons of Hybrids ... https://www.moneycrashers.com/hybrid-cars-pros-cons/  it's brief but a few interesting points.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Bob12345 said:

If you had so much fun ownership with your Ford, you wouldn't have to come down on me for making another choice. Feeling a bit insecure about your purchase? 

I just rephrased what you said........'people said the Everest is the better car overall' - that I equated into more fun to drive. And Everest owners I know personally all agree. I drove one on occasion. I drove the Fortuner on occasion. I was a passenger in the Mitsubishi <deleted>-Sport on occasion, I owned a Trailblazer for over 5 years - of the three, the Ford takes the crown.

I can be accused of a lot of things - insecure about what I purchase? never!

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

On 2/16/2021 at 8:31 AM, guzzi850m2 said:

It will probably take a lot more for EV's to become viable in Thailand than 4 to 5 years - outside the big cities, the charging infrastructure sucks, hence for most users the EV is not an option. If you live in BKK and never leave the city, there is no better propulsion system than the electric motor.

I am on my second PHEV - the 2nd one is the MG. The 16.6Kwh battery pack provides for close to 70 km range, more then adequate for our in-town needs - and when we go up country, no range anxiety. Mind you, a PHEV is very different from a regular hybrid, there is no engine start stop in the 70 km EV mode.

1 hour ago, mistral53 said:

It will probably take a lot more for EV's to become viable in Thailand than 4 to 5 years - outside the big cities, the charging infrastructure sucks, hence for most users the EV is not an option. If you live in BKK and never leave the city, there is no better propulsion system than the electric motor.

I am on my second PHEV - the 2nd one is the MG. The 16.6Kwh battery pack provides for close to 70 km range, more then adequate for our in-town needs - and when we go up country, no range anxiety. Mind you, a PHEV is very different from a regular hybrid, there is no engine start stop in the 70 km EV mode.

So are you happy with the MG? Any problems along the way?

Have to agree on the superiority of the Everest 2.0 10 speed gear over the Fortuner. I changed from the previous model of Fortuner having taken a test drive in the later model with the cooler in the dash. Just sitting in the Everest and adjusting it to your satisfaction, you can feel that everything you need is at hand. My Everest is starting on it's third year and hasn't had any problems with 3, 15K  services completed. I bought in Bkk as the choices and offers are better there.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, guzzi850m2 said:

So are you happy with the MG? Any problems along the way?

Quite happy - but there are some minor niggles that leave room for improvement, e.g. my preference is the car should re-start the way it was shut down, which is mostly in EV mode. Forgetting to select EV mode, the car will start up the engine once speed exceeds 25 km/h. The 'MG pilo't is useless in Thailand as most roads don't have good lane markings, ACC (adaptive cruse control) does not use regen braking, one of the bigger annoyances (i.e.no brake blending)

We put a little over 4.000 km on the clock in the short time we owned it, gassed it up twice, electric charge energy comes from our PV panels, no problems so far - I would buy it again.

• Like 1