Does it bother you being labelled as a "Farang" when in the company of Thais?

WineOh

6 minutes ago, faraday said:

It still, after all these years, makes larf, that potatoes are called "man falang"

and sweet potatoes are called 'Man Thai', its just a word, I dont know why some people get so out of shape about it. 

5 minutes ago, Sundown said:

Most Thais are nice but it does happen and it does not bother me at all: I know they are hostile because their envy is overflowing to the point that they have to spit it out, and it's very okay to me.

Just look at how many advertisements show "westernised" photoshopped Thai faces. The truth is that Thais praise the western world, western products and farangs. Those who cannot afford a western lifestyle might fall into envy. Usually illiterates and not so smart peasants.

Edit: by the way "farang" is not always derogatory

Wrong post delete please

Edited by Sundown

Another thought

Thailand is very aware of societal levels, I have often heard of people being Khun Whatever, when speaking about or to somebody of a higher level, Pi Whatever to somebody older, Noy Whatever to a younger person, Yai to an elderly lady.

A restaurant waitress who is maybe 20 years older can also be called Noy.

They maybe are not sure how to address you in this context without possibly causing offence and therefor default to Farang.

Some of the extended family members that were children when I came to live here (and their children) call me Papa, like they did for my father when he was alive.

12 minutes ago, WineOh said:

This is just in the context of my current social circle.

It has no bearing on what happens outside in the general public.

Outside, drunk or sober, I hear the word farang all the time.

Then don't pay the bill... I do think it is rude amongst people who know you... 

11 minutes ago, WineOh said:

How about Khun?

I'd settle for that.

That happens once in a blue moon though.

Did you drop the "T" by any chance, suprised you dont here that all the time ????????????????

(Only joking and if that hits your "sensitive" button I will delete it, couldnt resist.)

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, WineOh said:

Thai is not, in the strictest sense, a generalization.

Thai is referring to a specific people from a specific country, Thai people from Thailand.

The word farang, however, IS a generalization as it refers to anyone with white skin, regardless of where they come from.

Imagine if the shoe was on the other foot, in the states or the UK you have an asian friend/colleague.

You all sit together having lunch in the canteen.

You wouldn't refer to him as 'the asian' all the time, would you?

You would call him by his first or last name.

There is a big difference between people who know each others names and others.

In your original post it sounded like a general question/standpoint and not about people who know each other by name.

2 minutes ago, 1FinickyOne said:

have you ever thought of correcting them and saying it is not polite since they know you and should either call you Khun WineOh or uncle... 

correcting them?  It's not an impolite word.  You would be unforgivably arrogant to suggest to a Thai that it was. 

• Like 1

Just now, Pilotman said:

correcting them?  It's not an impolite word.  You would be unforgivably arrogant to suggest to a Thai that it was. 

not really, if you friends called you pilot-schmuck you might suggest that you were more comfortable w/just dude...

It can be impolite depending on the usage... your friends should not call you farang... a stranger who does not know your name might refer to you that way... 

• Like 1

Just now, ThailandRyan said:

Farang or Hansum Man, which one sounds better.  I have never heard a Thai lady refer to a Thai man as Hansum, have any of you.

All the time...............albeit in Thai language..!

"It wears you down when you hear it constantly,

like it or not but the word Farang is a label."

That would be one point of view, the more open minded would see it as an easy way of avoiding the embarrassment of saying your name wrong.

Their country, if the ways of the people bother you there is always an option.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

I have never heard a Thai lady refer to a Thai man as Hansum, have any of you.

The thai man in question would probably think she was taking the p*ss and get annoyed. 

It's what we foreigners always seem to miss...

They are perpetually taking the p*ss out of us!

3 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

Farang or Hansum Man, which one sounds better.  I have never heard a Thai lady refer to a Thai man as Hansum, have any of you.

They know the Thai man has deeper pockets than the farang! Thai men know the REAL price!

41 minutes ago, canuckamuck said:

Just so you know, Northern Thai is not Khmer, it's Khmueng. You must mean North Eastern Thai.

By "northern (Thai) Khmer" I meant - but clearly wasn't clear enough - the Khmer spoken by the Khmer people of southern Isaan, influenced as it is by also speaking Thai & Lao.

1 minute ago, WineOh said:

They are perpetually taking the p*ss out of us!

Sorry, you may be, and that may be your experience, but PLEASE  do not make derogatory generalisations as it will be removed.

Its the Pub and banter/fun is one thing but dont cross the line with derogatory generalisations and breach forum rules. Thank you

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, RichardColeman said:

Afterall, how would you ask your friends who the asian guy is across the room by not calling him the asian guy ? 

In a room full of Asians, I don't find that method particularly effective.

But I could ask about the fat guy, thin guy, short guy, yellow flip-flops, chang wife beater vest, speccky four eyes, etc.

• Haha 2