With Republican firewall, U.S. Senate acquits Trump of inciting deadly Capitol riot

rooster59

7 minutes ago, Psimbo said:

Even McConnell's wife, Elaine Chao  had the moral turpitude to resign her position as Secretary of Transportation following the events of 6 Jan. He and his ilk are an absolute disgrace. If I was an American I would do my level best to rid the Senate of these self-serving parasites whos only goal is to remain at the trough come the mid-terms.

Trump walks away from this with the blood of at least 5 people on his hands, notwithstanding the divisions and hatred he leaves in his wake.  

Trump will trumpet his acquittal and not give a toss about the deaths he was DIRECTLY responsible for. Shame on him and shame on the cowards in the Senate. Hopefully civil suits connected with the deaths will pursue him. He is pure toxicity.

What this previous administration has done is expose the worst of the worst. Yes, there is a very strong white supremacist vein running through America.

Fortunately, they're a dying breed. The US is soon to have the largest MINORITY being whites. Look at the makeup of (R) politicians then look at the makeup of (D) politicians and notice which represents the actual makeup of America.

It won't happen in our lifetimes, but when the day comes where you no longer have to check a box indicating your nationality on a form, we'll breathe easier. Unless we blow up the planet first.

P.S. Your avatar is fine!

Edited by J Town
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

34 minutes ago, mtraveler said:

I think I was misunderstood.  What upset me is that most standards used in normal courts of law are not used in impeachment trials, and that saddens me.  And that's why we ended up with an acquittal or not guilty, whatever they decided.  

I was once a juror in a criminal trial.  I certainly didn't behave like the "jurors" in this trial behaved.  I sat in my seat, and listened carefully to all the testimony. And I believe my trial was longer than this one. 

I read that up to 15 Republican "jurors" were absent during certain times in the trial. I also read that Cruz, Graham, and one other "juror" met with attorneys for Trump to strategize.  And that Hawley sat in the back with his feet up, reading some material.  That doesn't happen in a traditional trial. 

Also, it completely baffles me that day 1 was spent deciding whether this trial was constitutional or not.  And the determination was that it WAS constitutional.  And yet, when all was said and done, McConnell (and I'm sure many others) decided to vote not guilty because they believed it was unconstitutional.  

So, let me say again...  I'm deeply disturbed with the outcome of this case.  I think it's a travesty.  I think all facts point to Trump's guilt, and that he should have been found guilty in the impeachment trial.  My first post merely was trying to point out that the rules (or lack thereof) make a mockery of what a trial means.  Sorry if my intent was confusing.   

And I don't think the trial was a waste, in terms of getting the facts on record, and letting the American people hear the truth of what happened on January 6.  Though I'm sure those who support Trump will not be swayed in the least by any of the evidence.  

Although we do hear the commentators claim that the Senate decided that trying a private citizen who used to be president is constitutional, in fact, all that happened was that the Senate expressed that opinion.  Unlike a decision by a court, which establishes a binding precedent under the common law system, procedures adopted by the Senate may be called "precedents," but they are never binding precedents.  That means that any future Senate may decide that trying a private citizen is not constitutional.  Precedents in the Senate have only as much weight as the Senate at any given moment chooses to accord them.

Similarly, referring to the senators in an impeachment trial as "jurors" is very misleading.  They are much closer to judges in an en banc court (without a jury) who have the power not only to decide the case, but to rule on procedure as well.  

As I have pointed out in other posts the whole impeachment and removal process in the Constitution is ill-conceived and has never succeeded.  As to the fairness of the procedure, it is important to understand that removal from office is not a punishment, unlike the outcome of a criminal trial.  The purpose is to protect the Republic from dangerous abuse of power.  So, the same standards of fairness do not apply since, while a citizen has a right not to be unjustly convicted, he does not have a similar right to be president if he is endangering the Republic.  The model in the minds of the Framers was the trial by Parliament of Charles I with the difference that the Senate lacks the power to behead the president.

Edited by cmarshall
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, WaveHunter said:

There is no precedent for impeaching an President who is no longer in office! 

It is irrelevant that the subject in this case was a President.
The Constitution states that  any civil federal officer can be impeached.
Forget the position,  William Blount sets the precedence.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, EVENKEEL said:

I thought Trump was going to jail, what happened.:coffee1:

You well knew that even if found guilty there was no jail possible, just the prospect of him not being able to be elected to dogcatcher role. OOps he has done that role

1 hour ago, Walker88 said:

The Constitution nowhere states that the trial must come before removal from office, and that with good reason. The Founders were not idiots. They knew that by mandating the Senate trial had to come before leaving office, the target of impeachment would be given a free ride toward the end of his or her term. 

it's pretty simple, really.

The "free ride toward the end of his or her term" would only apply if removal from office were punishment for a crime, but it is isn't.  The purpose of impeachment and removal is to remove the threat to the Republic from abuse of power by the president.  That is why the Impeachment Clause begins

The President, Vice President and all civil Officers of the United States, shall be removed from Office on Impeachment for, and Conviction of...

from which we can see that the entire process is about the removal of the president.  The Clause does not begin "If the President, Vice President, or other civil officer of the United States commits any of the following crimes..."   If that had been the wording then the impeachment trial would be for the purpose of punishing the president.  

And since the ending of the president's term of office is not an escape from punishment, but instead achieves the very protection against the abuse of power that is the point of the impeachment process, the Constitution takes pains to make clear that the former president is fully exposed to criminal indictment for crimes commited during his term of office.

I understand that there are numerous constitutional scholars who disagree with this interpretation.  All I can say is that they are wrong.  The Senate erred when it voted that Trump remained subject to an impeachment trial as a private citizen.  However, there is no body that can rule the Senate's decision unconstitutional since it does not fall under the appellate jurisdiction of the Supreme Court.  

So, not simple at all.