Thailand reports 166 new COVID-19 cases

rooster59

10 minutes ago, rabas said:

The media can be confusing.

-- Phatum Thani reported 60 on Thursday and another 67 today, which were included in the totals.

-- Google "67 of 166 new Covid cases Sunday from Pathum Thani"

-- The number 124 was a sum over 3 days, reported Saturday, so includes the 60.

Without knowing what came from where when and was summed how, it gets confusing fast.

What can be concluded is Phatum Thani does not look very good.

Ok. Alas it is true one can never believe what one reads. I was going from another outlet's story from yesterday. I am still confused why the say the majority are from Samut Sakhon. I am also wondering why there has been no mention of Pathum Thani from this outlet. Deflection perhaps away from the reality of several clusters. The Thai govt has not been forthcoming in many areas of this pandemic.

Edited by dinsdale
  • Like 1

59 minutes ago, natway09 said:

I am sure "the slaves" as you call them would far rather be here than home, where they will get no treatment at all, no food, no help, no medication, nowhere to sleep & probaby die along with their wife & child.If you have not lived & worked in those countries better to keep your mouth shut.

The press has a wonderful way of stirring the pot

So you support the idea of taking advantage of slave labour as I call them because their conditions are slightly better than in their home countries and that no questions should be raised.Why employ 400,000 people from a disadvantaged country when 400,000 Thai could easily be employed?Would it be that the slave traders would not reap as much profit from their slave trade?

2 hours ago, dinsdale said:

These numbers are very interesting as 124 cases have been found connected to a wet market in Pathum Thani announced yesterday whereas yesterday's figure was 126 mainly in Samut Sakhon and today is 166 mainly in Samut Sakhon.

That is because these figures literally mean nothing, they are made up daily

3 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

Local transmissions, and of course they said Samut Sakhon, but I saw Tak has had a cluster emerge. Chulalongkorn University has a cluster, so where else outside of Samut Sakhon are they testing in a progressive manner.  

It’s becoming a joke now, how many migrants have they got in Samui Sakhon? Thailand is not testing as they should, they don’t know the national Covid situation. The government is totally untrustworthy not only on Covid but on everything they say about Covid and many other issues.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, bluedoc said:

It’s becoming a joke now, how many migrants have they got in Samui Sakhon? Thailand is not testing as they should, they don’t know the national Covid situation. The government is totally untrustworthy not only on Covid but on everything they say about Covid and many other issues.

To be fair, if the protests in Bangkok continue, the Government has bigger problems than COVID numbers. 

2 hours ago, FarFlungFalang said:

2 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

Just saw an article where 4 people who had received both doses of the Moderna Vaccine in the US have now tested positive for Covid.  Genome sequencing is now starting to see <deleted> is going on.  I know this is off topic but thought it was related to the facts that no vaccinations have started here and the AstraZenica Vaccine has been put in a hold pattern in South Africa.  Testing and herd immunity.  How can you say both in the same sentence without testing the population.  If they are hoping to attain that in Samut Sakhon and then open up borders it still makes no sense at all.  My Daughter is a Surgical ICU PA working in Lane county Hospitals in the Covid Units, and she herself has had both Moderna vaccinations.  Very concerning since they have also cut back on the PPE equipment due to cost.

https://www.oregonlive.com/news/2021/02/4-oregonians-were-fully-vaccinated-against-covid-but-still-tested-positive-representing-some-of-the-first-true-breakthrough-cases-in-the-nation.html

I was under the impression that the vaccine doesnt stop you getting it or passing it. Just stops serious symptoms.

5 minutes ago, Sametboy2019 said:

I was under the impression that the vaccine doesnt stop you getting it or passing it. Just stops serious symptoms.

This is why we will have quarantine for the foreseeable future unfortunately:

"Medical experts still advise fully vaccinated people to take precautions to protect themselves and others against the coronavirus -- because a small portion of people are still susceptible to infection and it’s unknown if fully vaccinated people might be silent spreaders"

4 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

Local transmissions, and of course they said Samut Sakhon, but I saw Tak has had a cluster emerge. Chulalongkorn University has a cluster, so where else outside of Samut Sakhon are they testing in a progressive manner.  

The Authorities do not appear to be testing in any kindof progressive manner outside of Samut Sakhon.

Chula University has a reported cluster of 20 people, and there was a report yesterday that 60 people in 2 Market in the Rangsit Area also tested positive.

2 hours ago, Bkk Brian said:

Here's a baffling number to me, walk in cases now outnumber proactive case finding in Samut Sakhon. That just does not sit right to me. Also no proactive case finding in Bangkok but there are 11 walk in cases.

89 proactive case: Samut Sakhon 11, Nonthaburi 1, Rayong 3, Tak 7,Pathum Thani 67

49 “walk-in” hospital cases: Bangkok 11, Saraburi 2, Nakhon Pathom 1, Khorat 1, Samut Prakan 1, Samut Sakhon 33

With this break down on the figures there is certainly some kind of discrepancy on either the numbers found or the reported numbers

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

Just saw an article where 4 people who had received both doses of the Moderna Vaccine in the US have now tested positive for Covid.  Genome sequencing is now starting to see <deleted> is going on.  I know this is off topic but thought it was related to the facts that no vaccinations have started here and the AstraZenica Vaccine has been put in a hold pattern in South Africa.  Testing and herd immunity.  How can you say both in the same sentence without testing the population.  If they are hoping to attain that in Samut Sakhon and then open up borders it still makes no sense at all.  My Daughter is a Surgical ICU PA working in Lane county Hospitals in the Covid Units, and she herself has had both Moderna vaccinations.  Very concerning since they have also cut back on the PPE equipment due to cost.

https://www.oregonlive.com/news/2021/02/4-oregonians-were-fully-vaccinated-against-covid-but-still-tested-positive-representing-some-of-the-first-true-breakthrough-cases-in-the-nation.html

The vaccines are to reduce severe disease or death from Covid, no one has stated it will stop you catching and carrying it. When younger I had the measles vaccine but still caught measles, although in a very mild form. This is why coutries need to vaccinate majority. Personally anyone who doesn't want the vaccine, good luck to them, as it protects those who have had it, not others.

6 hours ago, rooster59 said:

862 people were discharged from hospital having made a full recovery.

This is what I am reading every single day, people being discharged from hospital having made a full recovery.

Am I missing something here ?

I mean what are they prescribing them ?

Is the vaccine really necessary if these people are making a full recovery ? 

Edited by 4MyEgo
  • Like 1

32 minutes ago, Petey11 said:

as it protects those who have had it

Tell that to the 186 or so that died from the vaccine, small amount you might say, yes, and old and frail, why give it to them in the first place, and how are these "other" people recovering without the vaccine in Thailand.

The vaccine is not 100% guaranteed, it might be marketed as having an efficacy of 57% to 95% depending on which vaccine you take and the studies you believe to be correct.

Still too early in my opinion, so will be sitting on the fence for now.

Edited by 4MyEgo
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

7 minutes ago, 4MyEgo said:

This is what I am reading every single day, people being discharged from hospital having made a full recovery.

Something else that doesn't add up is the global CFR is 2.2% and Thailands CFR is 0.32%.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, dcnx said:

The walk-in cases are not migrant workers.

What did the report say and I quote "Most of  the new cases were again discovered during testing of migrant workers at quarantine facilities and hospitals in Samut Sakhon."

That implies they are or to give the benefit of doubt might be, in no way does it say they weren't..

1 hour ago, 4MyEgo said:

I think what you're probably missing is that Thailand is one of the few countries that I know of that hospitalizes everyone who tests positive (unless you happen to be a migrant in Samut Sakhon who is locked in a factory)

So whether you have symptoms or not, or very mild symptoms then you still get to have a stay in a hospital, hence why so many get out again quickly and are classed as recovered. Complete waste of resources of course for the hospitals but I guess they just don't trust positive cases to stay at home and quarantine. Or living conditions to not allow isolation so much in Thailand?

Edited by Bkk Brian
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, foreverlomsak said:

For Pathum Thani I understand 817 tests were carried out to find 124 positives that is a rate of 15%

If that was applied across the whole country we would have an infection rate of circa 10m not 24k+.

Keep in mind that all those positive cases are not necessarily infectious: see fig. 1 The max infectious period is about 3 days after infection. Generation interval, time between infection events in an infector-infectee pair, is about one day less than serial interval. https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/32145466/

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

7 hours ago, George Bowman said:

I keep reading about people coming from abroad and then it appears that they test positive upon arrival. I thought they had to be cleared of the virus before entering Thailand. Doesn't say much for whatever country is issuing the test results. Just thankful that Thailand is on the ball. Or am I missing something?

Yes you are missing something. Thais, who make up the majority of cases found in quarantine, are not required to have a passed a PCR test prior to flying home. They have a right to return to their home country, whether they are sick or not.

I trust and hope that my country and yours, if a different one, would do the same for us.

• Thanks 1