Brexit causing supply problems for small UK manufacturers: survey

snoop1130

4 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

???? You should read more with an open mind.

There's always been pros & cons since the beginning.

The pros won and nobody knows the outcome except the experts here on TV.

Even though it's a universally observed economic phenomenon that trade between nations is disproportionately weighted toward closer nations, that has nothing to do with Brexit because....?

• Haha 2

12 hours ago, robblok said:

Sure keep on dreaming, bad news is piling up and all the Brexiteers can do is saying.. the news is bias or this is just teething problems. Listening to the people who know in the business is not a thing Brexiteers on this forum can do. They ignore the experts and have nothing to back up their claim. I want to see just one article showing how good Brexit has been or a report from a Think tank showing Brexit is a good idea.

I know its over and done with but the least the die hard anti EU people could admit all the problems there are. But they just ignore them and say its false news. Kinda Trumpish.

Ignoring "experts" has been sound policy over the last several years.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, Surelynot said:

38 to 42 whoop de do.

Screen Shot 2564-02-16 at 04.01.17.jpg

Against a Baht that is still strengthening against the Dollar, it is doing well, isn't it? Do you remember someone posting "Can the pound hold 39?" ????

Edited by nauseus
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, bannork said:

Worked well with Covid, didn't it? UK  death rate one of the highest in the world.

Well they didn't ignore them did they? What they are doing now should have been done 12 months ago.

Edited by nauseus
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Pilotman said:

Most of what is quoted about longer lasting negative  impacts of being outside the EU trading block are pure fabrication, mostly because the UK will continue to trade extensively with the EU. but with far more other trade options  and opportunities available for both import and export. 

Please provide some numbers backing up the “far more other trade options and opportunities”: According to the Department for International Trade, 49% of your trade was with the EU, and 40% with countries with EU trade agreements. How does the remaining 10% provide so much “options and opportunities” that it would justify hurting the 90%? 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Pilotman said:

We can live with it, as we have for most of our history.  It will be nice if we can spend a good few generations without having to come over to the Continent to sort out some  mess or other that you lot over there have produced for yourselves, yet again.  That would make a nice historical change.  

And perhaps stop asking australia and nz to help you if can sort out prior messes yourself.

2 minutes ago, welovesundaysatspace said:

Now I really wanna know how often you had to “come over to the Continent” and what “mess” you had to sort out there. You would be one of the few Brexiteers here who aren’t just shouting from their barstool in Pattaya. So share your accomplishments on the Continent! 

Yet to see a Brexiteer post without making a reference to WW2...like Brexit it's done, finished...get over it.

5 hours ago, placeholder said:

If Britain retained all the privileges that Brexiters think it's entitled to, then any country that stayed in the EU would be spurning a free ride at the expense of members who remain. So you have a point.

"It is just as difficult and dangerous to try to free people that want to remain servile , as it is to enslave people that want to remain free " - Niccolo Machiavelli

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, welovesundaysatspace said:

Now I really wanna know how often you had to “come over to the Continent” and what “mess” you had to sort out there. You would be one of the few Brexiteers here who aren’t just shouting from their barstool in Pattaya. So share your accomplishments on the Continent! 

Well if you can't work that out for yourself,  I see no point in informing you. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Pilotman said:

I wonder in my lighter moments how the UK ever managed to build up the biggest and most extensive trade routes to and from the country, prior to 1973 that the world had ever seen before.   Most of what is quoted about longer lasting negative  impacts of being outside the EU trading block are pure fabrication, mostly because the UK will continue to trade extensively with the EU. but with far more other trade options  and opportunities available for both import and export. 

And what makes you think that the UK still doesn't have extensive trade routes? Given the general rise in international trade and international development, those routes are certainly much more extensive than ever. Brexiters seem to have the strange idea that the UK was severely inhibited from trading with other nations by its membership in the EU.  Even the UK govt has implicitly acknowledged that. For example, it said that after Brexit, even if a free trade bill were enacted with the USA, the UK's largest trading partner nation, the increase in trade would boost the UK economy by 0.16%.

The government has estimated a post-Brexit trade deal with the United States would boost the UK economy by 0.16% over the next 15 years.

The figure is included in a 180-page document setting out the UK's negotiating position for talks, expected to begin later this month.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-51706802

Apart from agricultural and autos, even under WTO rules, trade was largely free before Brexit. This notion that great untapped opportunities beckon that were held back by membership in the EU is divorced from reality.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Pilotman said:

I wonder in my lighter moments how the UK ever managed to build up the biggest and most extensive trade routes to and from the country, prior to 1973 that the world had ever seen before.   Most of what is quoted about longer lasting negative  impacts of being outside the EU trading block are pure fabrication, mostly because the UK will continue to trade extensively with the EU. but with far more other trade options  and opportunities available for both import and export. 

About your first remark, there were no integrated supply chains at that time. Most trade was about raw and finished products. The trade based on components included in integrated supply chain is strongly dependent on speed, I.e. JIT chains.  It is difficult to substitute it by trade with remote countries,because it simply takes too long time.

As about the opportunities to trade outside the EU, there is no improvement because this trade was already made possible thanks to trade deals made by the EU. The only (maybe) significant change may come if deals were made with China and the US, and It's a long way.....

Edited by candide
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1