One day overstay

4 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Don't tell anybody.

Go early to the airport.

And then pay for the one day overstay when they tell you. No problem.

Important. Read the first line again and obey it!

@DrJack54 Please don't be confused. There is a reason why I write what I write.

If he would ask the wrong person early on the 1-Mar he has a change that the immigration will arrest him.

I don't say it will happen but it happened to other people before. This is why not telling anybody is a great idea.

8 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

And then pay for the one day overstay when they tell you.

It used to be that you were only charged if two or more days over, even though it is quoted as a daily amount.  Are you saying the first day is now charged for, as that is what the OP is asking the way I read it.

If leaving from one of the Bangkok airports, the fine for a one-day overstay should still be waived. That means that there are no immediate consequences. That said, it remains a black mark on your immigration record that might have significance in the future. In close situations where an immigration official has discretion on whether to allow you to enter (for instance, entering as a tourist after spending a lot of time in Thailand) prior overstays (even short ones) can possibly swing the decision against you.

18 hours ago, BritTim said:

In close situations where an immigration official has discretion on whether to allow you to enter (for instance, entering as a tourist after spending a lot of time in Thailand) prior overstays (even short ones) can possibly swing the decision against you.

An immigration officer doesn't have discretion regarding the entry into Thailand.

2 hours ago, jackdd said:

An immigration officer doesn't have discretion regarding the entry into Thailand.

There have been numerous cases that show immigration officials have effective discretion in certain situations. A common example (prior to Covid-19) was people entering at either Bangkok airport with a tourist visa having already spent 180 days recently as a tourist in Thailand. Many people in this situation were denied entry, but some were allowed to enter. It was all a matter of what the official decided.

9 minutes ago, BritTim said:

There have been numerous cases that show immigration officials have effective discretion in certain situations. A common example (prior to Covid-19) was people entering at either Bangkok airport with a tourist visa having already spent 180 days recently as a tourist in Thailand. Many people in this situation were denied entry, but some were allowed to enter. It was all a matter of what the official decided.

Correct. Pre covid one of the most common threads was advice on entering Thailand via airports with numerous visa exempt entries. The advice given was often regarding good entry airports. On the good side was eg CNX.

Bad side was eg DMK. etc.

33 minutes ago, BritTim said:

Under Immigration law they don't have any discretion, they can only deny for one of the reasons defined in the law, spending more than 180 days per year on visa exempts is not such a reason.

I'm of course aware of what happened back then, but all those IOs who denied people (for being too long in Thailand, which is no valid reason for denial) and then stamped some arbitrary other reason from the immigration act (their favorite was "impoverished") in the people's passport effectively broke the law.

Most people in this situation also didn't know that they can appeal the IOs decision, which would probably have resulted in them being allowed to enter. So yes, IOs used discretion, but this was against the law.

3 hours ago, jackdd said:

Yes, they have. When, in the cases you state, they not have. Then they just sign not enough funds. They have done before and will continue to do. If they have discretion or not is irrelevant. it´s how they see it fit to do, that is important, and the result is same as they have discretion. Feel free to file a complaint.

Last time in was in Thailand , I overstayed one day on a tourist Visa. I was unaware of it, I was told i overstayed at the airport by the staff at the check-in. The guy told me i had to pay around 500 or 1000 bath (i dont remember exactly) when i would go through security before entering the plane. When I arrived for the passport check in, I told the guy 'Sir I overstayed one day' and he just said 'It's ok, I don't mind'. They then proceeded to check my passport etc for a while ( 2 or 3 min) before leaving me free to go back home. I think it might have to do with where you're from, your background etc... (Belgium in my case) I didn't have to pay anything.

Archived