Israeli study finds 94% drop in symptomatic COVID-19 cases with Pfizer vaccine

webfact

And furthermore, according to studies, mRNA platform-based vaccines may be more suitable to respond to more transmissible variants than adenovirus-based vector platforms.

In other words, Pfizer and Moderna deal better with variants such as the South African one than Astra Zeneca.

It will take 6 months for Astra Zeneca to come up with a booster, so it remains to be seen what happens with the local Astra Zeneca production in Thailand supposedly starting in June.

Edited by lkv
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Srikcir said:

Looks like a 24-hour respite on the couch with Tylenol, at least with Moderna. 

Second COVID shot Packs the Big Punch

https://www.medpagetoday.com/special-reports/exclusives/91157

Small inconvenience, especially as the vaccine appears to be successful with some of the new covid strains.

Thanks for the info. But it says people start to feel better after a day. And, as you pointed out, not a sensible reason to not get vaccinated.

Edited by onthedarkside
comment on hidden post removed
  • Like 1

Try this:  https://www.medpagetoday.com/special-reports/exclusives/91157

Now I don't know who medpage is but the reporting seems balanced.

It seems there are several factors dictating how we will react to the first and second doses of the MRNA vaccines.

On a personal note I'll take the potential of a 24 to 48 hour flu response to the vaccine because I'm in the demographic ... that dies from the covid - 19.

Looking like the fragile Pfizer is the gold standard of the current crop of vaccines and in a correctly spaced double shot. I'm back to the UK in a couple of months and will just have to accept whatever I'm given but if I was in the private market I would be searching this one out if available. Feeling a bit rough after is is all par for the course - it means it's working and getting your immune system  locked and loaded !

12 minutes ago, vandeventer said:

So when are we going to get the Pfizer and Moderna  vaccine? or even the Johnson&Johnson one sounds good. They really need to focus on what they are there for and give the Thai people and us a good vaccine.

I agree about J & J.  They are running another phase  III trial with the vaccine as a two dose system that seems to be really interesting.  It seems to reach and maintain maximum antibody response about  eight weeks after the first jab.  I did note that nobody that received the J & J shot had to go to the hospital after the 28 day mark.  The testing was/is done in Britain, South Africa, Brazil and the USA.  That's taking it out for one hell of a test drive.

Both my daughters in the UK are frontline NHS staff. They and their colleagues have all had the Moderna vaccine and none of them had days off work as a consequence. My own daughters had an ache at the injection site for less than 24 hours.

Edited by onthedarkside
quote of hidden post removed
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Mike Rodik said:

my god, how did they survive the last year ?

image.png.9beff952cd03c888bb01ecc10b25e76c.png

Israel's population is about 1/35th of the USA's. To date Israel has had a total of 5414 Covid deaths.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/israel/

To put it into proper perspective, if you multiply that by 35 that would amount to 189,490 deaths in the USA.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, placeholder said:

Taking care for 99.99% of us means getting vaccinated. A vanishingly small number of life-threatening anaphylaxis cases is not a good reason to avoid vaccination.

Indeed not.

It is also easily managed/treated in an appropriate setting.

The very small risk of anaphylaxis (which exists with many drugs, not  just vaccines...indeed occurs more frequently with antibiotics) is definitely not a reason to not vaccinate.

It does however call for some basic precautions to be observed in vaccine administration, as is being done. 

• Like 1