Hip replacement

jarhead50200

The operation is half of the therapy. 

The second half is physical therapy/rehab. Recommended rehab: St Louis Hospital,  Bumrungrad hospital (twice as expensive).

I am quite familiar with the rehab in the other 5* international hospitals and would not recommend any of them.

I would try to have operation and rehab in the same place. 

5 minutes ago, Kiujunn said:

I would try to have operation and rehab in the same place. 

Rehab for how long?

Hip replacements are fairly standard operational procedures these days.

Shouldn't need more than 5 days rehab in the hospital, continued with exercises at home and check up visits.

1 hour ago, jarhead50200 said:

Your experiences doctors hospitals cost recommended etc

Have you checked if you are eligible for free surgery in your own country? 

37 minutes ago, Tanoshi said:

Costs circa 80,000 baht at government hospitals.

I'm in Ozzie waiting for mine. The top surgeons use robotic assist and titanium parts. I would stay well clear of govt hospitals 

2 minutes ago, madmen said:

Are you joking!

Have you seen waiting lists now for non life threatening operations due to Covid.

4 minutes ago, madmen said:

I would stay well clear of govt hospitals 

I, and others I know have had nothing but excellent treatment from Thai government hospitals at a fraction of the cost of private hospitals and in certain cases the same top surgeon.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Tanoshi said:

Rehab for how long?

Hip replacements are fairly standard operational procedures these days.

Shouldn't need more than 5 days rehab in the hospital, continued with exercises at home and check up visits.

What do you mean by "standard procedures"?

They are common,  that's true. 

But they are not standardized.  Many different operation techniques,  many different implants to choose from.

The patient has to discuss these things with an orthopedic surgeon he trusts. 

You cannot discuss these things only here.

Rehab for very long. 

5 days in the acute-care hospital, where the operation was done, is the minimum.

After this about a month in a rehab facility. In Thailand,  this kind of facility does not exist. 

After this,  at home,  under supervision,  for months. 

The orthopedic surgeon typically tells patients,  after 1 week everything is like before. He has no interest in the patient once surgery is done. 

The reality is 2 years. 

You can throw this advice in the wind at your own risk.

3 minutes ago, Tanoshi said:

Are you joking!

Have you seen waiting lists now for non life threatening operations due to Covid.

I, and others I know have had nothing but excellent treatment from Thai government hospitals at a fraction of the cost of private hospitals and in certain cases the same top surgeon.

You did well. Not the feedback I got when researching whether to do it LOS or in Oz in fact some downright horror stories. 

Yes there is a waiting list like all elective surgery but your getting 1st class surgeon and not the luck of the draw

27 minutes ago, Tanoshi said:

These are old threads and the OP is going to find a long wait time and high double pricing for the foreigner room rate if he tries to have his hip replacement at Suan Dok (Maharaj) hospital in Chiang Mai.  I'd suggest Dr. Chanakarn who has a clinic near Rajavej Hospital and also practices there.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, NancyL said:

These are old threads and the OP is going to find a long wait time and high double pricing for the foreigner room rate if he tries to have his hip replacement at Suan Dok (Maharaj) hospital in Chiang Mai.  I'd suggest Dr. Chanakarn who has a clinic near Rajavej Hospital and also practices there.

Yep, just bumping the threads.

The OP may be be better also posting in the CM forum.

On 2/17/2021 at 3:42 PM, Kiujunn said:

What do you mean by "standard procedures"?

They are common,  that's true. 

But they are not standardized.  Many different operation techniques,  many different implants to choose from.

The patient has to discuss these things with an orthopedic surgeon he trusts. 

You cannot discuss these things only here.

Rehab for very long. 

5 days in the acute-care hospital, where the operation was done, is the minimum.

After this about a month in a rehab facility. In Thailand,  this kind of facility does not exist. 

After this,  at home,  under supervision,  for months. 

The orthopedic surgeon typically tells patients,  after 1 week everything is like before. He has no interest in the patient once surgery is done. 

The reality is 2 years. 

You can throw this advice in the wind at your own risk.

My recovery was 3 days post op, acute care and ambulating day 1, two weeks in rehab therapy including twice daily physio sessions, occupational assessments,Climbing 16 steps by day five in rehab, bike exercises, ambulating elbow crutched from  day 1 of operation, and from then on till discharge. then home alone, daily assitance for 3 days to change compression stockings and shower .

Driving three weeks post op, gym light sessions and exercise physiologist planand assessment supervision,  week 3. Walking pole for ensured balance for 3 weeks. (Did not really need it) . No complications, infections. Totally independent within 3 weeks. No pain meds from day 3 post op. Training for cylcing marathon come autumn, weights, cross trainer, leg extention lifts, hip adductors exercises, . 3 hours daily, 4 months post op, age 73

Edited by RJRS1301

Please don't make a separate thread in CM forum. The health forum is the correct place for this.

Several TV members over the years have had hip replacements by Dr. Chanakarn with positive feedback. See him at his private clinic as it will reduce costs somewhat (though the surgery of course will be done in a hospital).  Expect to pay between 200-250k.

https://chanakarn.com/th/

• Thanks 1

On 2/17/2021 at 11:26 AM, madmen said:

I'm in Ozzie waiting for mine. The top surgeons use robotic assist and titanium parts. I would stay well clear of govt hospitals 

My mother is in oz and waited over 10 years for knee replacement. When the time came her health was not so good so she didn't have it. The queue was very long in the public system. Her knees are not as bad now as she had to climb stairs at her old accommodation, but now is on a ground floor apartment.

https://www.health-tourism.com/medical-centers/vejthani-hospital/dep/orthopedics/

Had my right hip done at vejthani 7 years ago, cost around 500K baht, covered by my personal heath insurance. attached condo building to the hospital for post operation stay. I spent about 10 days untill they would let me fly home to Udon Thani.

When I need my left hip done I will do it at this hospital.

State of the art IMHO

Edited by kwonitoy
  • Like 1

thank you all for the feedback and information. greatly appreciated.  im a vietnam veteran, with 100percent rating and made arrangements with bangkok hospital chiang mai where they will send the bill to veterans administration usa. going into this i was a little naive but during the last 3 weeks with all your help i greatly educated myself.   again thank you all have a good day