Once vilified, marijuana now heralded as a wonder drug and set to go mainstream in Thailand

webfact

8 hours ago, webfact said:

Thailand medical uses of the plant are now all the rage following the removal from the narcotics list of parts of the plant like leaves and stalks.

without the oil from the flowers there is very little to no (real) medical use from stalks and leaves. 

good one.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, vandeventer said:

I used to smoke when I was young and stupid then I grew up! Now I am old but without brain damage.

with a comment like that.... one is not so sure. did you pause reefer madness to post that rubbish ? 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, GeorgeCross said:

according to a recent documentary on Netflix weed was banned in the US because white women were becoming a little too friendly with the "locals" at jazz clubs (notorious for weed smoking) around the country. basically it was banned for racist reasons.

once Thailand became a recognised major exporter globally, US pressure forced Thailand to ban it as well!

the irony is, most of the US has now decriminalised it for recreational use.. and Thailand still hasn't got the memo!!

The Cairo Confenference in 1936? deemed cannibis a narcotic after pressure from the US which was representing the interests of Dupont who at the time was developing nylon. Hemp fibre was in direct competion to this.

Edited by dinsdale

4 hours ago, vandeventer said:

So they want to cut down on road deaths? This will keep them number 1 forever. The Thais don't social drink they drink to get drunk. So what does this mean when they smoke a joint?

People driving 30 kph instead of 160.

As soon as covid is over and I get a job and the £ goes up in value and I save up a few grand I am going on holiday to Canada, not Thailand because of legal weed just saying if Thailand made it legal I reckon I would be more likely to come back at the moment it's a no.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, TurkAussie said:

Shame the flower is full of cannibinoids and terpines which have over 2000 medicinal uses furthermore it’s the only thing on earth that fits the human bodies B1 and B2 cannibinoid receptors which regulate things from hormone production, excretion to immune system fortification. It has been used in human medicine for thousands of years but banned for 67 years because of 4 industries the cotton industry, Dow Corning plastics, Big Pharma and the Alcohol industry.

Agreed, I'm skeptical of the whole 'CBD Good but THC Bad' narrative. There's just too much incentive to separate compounds and commercialize/monetize the separate compounds. If there are beneficial medicinal properties to thc and their still throwing people in jail for consuming it then nothing really has changed has it. Dinosaur thinking doesn't change quickly. 

37 minutes ago, Oww said:

Agreed, I'm skeptical of the whole 'CBD Good but THC Bad' narrative. There's just too much incentive to separate compounds and commercialize/monetize the separate compounds. If there are beneficial medicinal properties to thc and their still throwing people in jail for consuming it then nothing really has changed has it. Dinosaur thinking doesn't change quickly. 

entourage effect. 

I long for the good ole' days as a young GI sitting in my hooch off base in downtown Korat smoking some great Thai pot in my hand carved bong with my lovely Thai teelok! If Thailand wants to revive tourism then legalize pot and lighten up on the visa requirements.  There are lots of old coggers like me who would flock back to their old stomping grounds to toke a bong and reminisce about the glory days.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, webfact said:

Once vilified, marijuana now heralded as a wonder drug and set to go mainstream in Thailand

4pm.jpg

Picture: Sanook

Once vilified for many of the ills in Thai society the country is now embracing the therapeutic qualities of marijuana.

Though the chemical that causes a high is still a no-no and could lead to a criminal conviction in Thailand medical uses of the plant are now all the rage following the removal from the narcotics list of parts of the plant like leaves and stalks.

Now the leading proponent of the use of marijuana who was swept to power on a platform of growing weed has put his name to five drug uses for remedies that can be produced in Thailand. 

The man at the center of the changes is Anutin Charvirakul, the controversial and sometimes errant deputy prime minister and minister of public health. 

As head of the Bhumjaithai Party he campaigned on the legalization of marijuana in 2019. Thais were astonished to see the leaf on political billboards nationwide - even the mention of "ganja" before was in hushed tones. 

Now it is all the "flavor of the month" with niche dishes even featuring the leaves on things like omelets.

Dr Supatra Bunserm of the Food and Drug Administration said that the minister had now put his name to five kinds of drugs that can be produced from marijuana. 

They include one called "Yaa Suksayat" that aids in promoting sleep and digestion. 

Others include insomnia and yellow fever medications, a drug used to treat hemorrhoids (commonly known as piles)and skin conditions , anti-bloating and digestive medicaments and even one to promote good mental health.

However, as Thaivisa has warned in the past week, use of the THC component of the drug recreationally and possession of flowers, buds and seeds is still illegal in Thailand. 

Source: Sanook

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2021-02-17

That’s actually not true at all what it says at the end about THC ???? Yes they will sell you plenty of THC for medical use lol. ???? How do you make the THC part of the plant illegal? LMAO ???? The plant is now legal except for the THC portion of it ????. The plant is legal except for the roots. Ha 

Edited by JimboB4

22 hours ago, webfact said:

4pm.jpg

Picture: Sanook

Once vilified for many of the ills in Thai society the country is now embracing the therapeutic qualities of marijuana.

Though the chemical that causes a high is still a no-no and could lead to a criminal conviction in Thailand medical uses of the plant are now all the rage following the removal from the narcotics list of parts of the plant like leaves and stalks.

Now the leading proponent of the use of marijuana who was swept to power on a platform of growing weed has put his name to five drug uses for remedies that can be produced in Thailand. 

The man at the center of the changes is Anutin Charvirakul, the controversial and sometimes errant deputy prime minister and minister of public health. 

As head of the Bhumjaithai Party he campaigned on the legalization of marijuana in 2019. Thais were astonished to see the leaf on political billboards nationwide - even the mention of "ganja" before was in hushed tones. 

Now it is all the "flavor of the month" with niche dishes even featuring the leaves on things like omelets.

Dr Supatra Bunserm of the Food and Drug Administration said that the minister had now put his name to five kinds of drugs that can be produced from marijuana. 

They include one called "Yaa Suksayat" that aids in promoting sleep and digestion. 

Others include insomnia and yellow fever medications, a drug used to treat hemorrhoids (commonly known as piles)and skin conditions , anti-bloating and digestive medicaments and even one to promote good mental health.

However, as Thaivisa has warned in the past week, use of the THC component of the drug recreationally and possession of flowers, buds and seeds is still illegal in Thailand. 

Source: Sanook

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2021-02-17

Not true about the flower either lol you can have the plant legally but not the flower portion of it ????????????

How did you think that idea was supposed to work? ???? Duhhh ???? 

Edited by JimboB4

21 hours ago, connda said:

Exactly.  Then try to obtain CBD oil and you're treated by Thai doctors as though you've asked them to prescribe a vile of morphine instead of a bottle of cannabis oil devoid of THC.

"Oh, we're all for medical marijuana, but try to use the plant and we'll throw you in prison with the other 85% of the Thai prison population incarcerated on drug charges."

Medical marijuana in any other country on the planet meant once prescribed you could use the plant.
Here in Thailand "Medical marijuana" means they took the plant off of the narcotic's list so a handful of special companies could enrich themselves by producing an expensive CBD oil that is extremely difficult to obtain a prescription for domestically. 

These puff pieces are to extol marijuana use by large corporations, not to ease the suffering of average commoners who are continually told they'll be thrown into prison for using it.  But feel free to try to change my mind.  Good luck tho'.

The real problem for interested growers and manufacturers of CBD are the lack of information and regulations about the products! Contact with government departments result in shaken heads and no information! 

We have applied to grow a commercial crop of Hemp (male plants) to use the fibre in clothing, Provincial government has absolutely no information and they don't even know who to contact for more definitive info!

TiT!

22 hours ago, connda said:

Exactly.  Then try to obtain CBD oil and you're treated by Thai doctors as though you've asked them to prescribe a vile of morphine instead of a bottle of cannabis oil devoid of THC.

"Oh, we're all for medical marijuana, but try to use the plant and we'll throw you in prison with the other 85% of the Thai prison population incarcerated on drug charges."

Medical marijuana in any other country on the planet meant once prescribed you could use the plant.
Here in Thailand "Medical marijuana" means they took the plant off of the narcotic's list so a handful of special companies could enrich themselves by producing an expensive CBD oil that is extremely difficult to obtain a prescription for domestically. 

These puff pieces are to extol marijuana use by large corporations, not to ease the suffering of average commoners who are continually told they'll be thrown into prison for using it.  But feel free to try to change my mind.  Good luck tho'.

My local Thai government hospital has a newish CBD oil facility which is only open 1 day a week . So I went along hoping to get the oil to treat my painful spondylitis but the juvenile doctor refused to prescribe to me saying it was dangerous because I have slight hypertension but gave me a bill for 740 baht for 10 minutes of talking <deleted> . When I got home I Googled  a search which showed the oil was a good treatment for hypertension . BTW a friend was also refused the oil ( same hospital ) to treat a back problem and he has no other health conditions . I reckon they are keeping the oil for local Thais only .

However they are happy to throw drugs at me such as Tramadol , ibuprofen , naproxen etc  

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, superal said:

My local Thai government hospital has a newish CBD oil facility which is only open 1 day a week . So I went along hoping to get the oil to treat my painful spondylitis but the juvenile doctor refused to prescribe to me saying it was dangerous because I have slight hypertension but gave me a bill for 740 baht for 10 minutes of talking <deleted> . When I got home I Googled  a search which showed the oil was a good treatment for hypertension . BTW a friend was also refused the oil ( same hospital ) to treat a back problem and he has no other health conditions . I reckon they are keeping the oil for local Thais only .

However they are happy to throw drugs at me such as Tramadol , ibuprofen , naproxen etc  

You don’t even have to ask a doctor at the right clinic lol.