Medical tourism , end of an era ?

superal

I have been looking at fees for cataracts and tooth implants .  Mainly because an operation for cataracts in the UK using the NHS has a waiting list of up to 2 years in some regions with 1 year quite common but if you want to jump the queue the NHS will get you in and operated on in a couple of months at a cost of £2000 . When I enquired at a famous Thai hospital I was quoted 95,000 baht ( £2280 ). Both quotes for both eyes using latest laser techniques .

For dental implants a common Thai price is 85,000 baht ( £2040 ) with the UK coming in at £2500 . When factoring in flight and hotel costs plus any post op complications it appears that Thailand has priced itself out of the market if you are in a position to be able to make a choice .

Is this another face of Thai greed or are the Thai medics on big money ?

There is no waiting list in Thailand and a major part of the charge for both procedures will be western made materials (lens and implants) which are expensive on their own.  When the Chinese alternatives are accepted and come to more expensive places expect the prices will be less.

I am reading your price as 47500k per eye?

dental implants start from 30k.

the first tourists coming to thailand after opening were medical ones. Without quarantine for short treatments or 14 days and after hospital they were allowed to stay and travel. Hundreds did come, starting with chinese in vitro couples paying $15k just for visa/ticket (not treatment). Some came for stem cells.

Some 10% of thai tourism were medical. Insurance in arab countries do cover treatments in thailand, and they are coming with all families and staying for weeks and months .

So for some people it's still cheap and convenient

Edited by internationalism

2 hours ago, internationalism said:

dental implants start from 30k.

the first tourists coming to thailand after opening were medical ones. Without quarantine for short treatments or 14 days and after hospital they were allowed to stay and travel. Hundreds did come, starting with chinese in vitro couples paying $15k just for visa/ticket (not treatment). Some came for stem cells.

Some 10% of thai tourism were medical. Insurance in arab countries do cover treatments in thailand, and they are coming with all families and staying for weeks and months .

So for some people it's still cheap and convenient

Link please . 

It would seem that Thai prices are similar to the western worlds.

1 hour ago, Dart12 said:

Famous places don't have to offer deals.  They already built their reputation and thus earned ability to charge higher fees.  Shop around and you should find something cheaper.

Cheap is not the main consideration but the surgeons qualifications are and some Thai surgeons have only Thai uni quals with the main surgeon in the practice having multi quals but still want top dollar .

2 hours ago, lopburi3 said:

There is no waiting list in Thailand and a major part of the charge for both procedures will be western made materials (lens and implants) which are expensive on their own.  When the Chinese alternatives are accepted and come to more expensive places expect the prices will be less.

I am reading your price as 47500k per eye?

Exactly , same materials but often more expensive and that coming from an emerging country . Once again 2 tier pricing .           47500k per eye yes from a private hospital with latest laser 

for links ask your thai friends to find the best offers.

I did searched on fb for some related terms, I did find a largish clinic close by.

But also within hours relevant ads started to appear.

Private clinics do run promotional prices on social medias, usually time limited, but indicates what you can expect, when you are already here. 

With implants they want to see you in the clinic, how big job is. So you can drive in the neighbourhood between them and look for bargain.

But it takes some 6 months from putting screw in the bone and finishing job, so 2 trips to thailand (unrealistic) or long stay.

I think you should compare prices for private (and not nhs) in the UK and in thailand.

Those almost 3mln medical tourists did find thailand cheaper, even considering airfare, hotel stay

Edited by internationalism

The 2 procedures you mention are not good choices as both involve use of expensive imported prosthetic devices.

Where things tend to be less expensive in Thailand is when labor is the main cost driver. Those procedures will compare more favorably than the ones you mention.

That said, Thailand is certainly not the best place in the world for inexpensive health care. Far better value for money to be had in the better private hospitals of India and also in countries like Turkey etc.

I would not recommend Thailand to a true medical tourist unless they have some other teason for wanting to spend some time in Thailand.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I do not agree with some here. As far as certain types of care, like cardiac procedures for example, Thailand is MUCH cheaper than places like the USA.  One procedure I had in the USA cost $49,000 USD....I have a quote from a good JC accredited Hospital in Bangkok for the same procedure for $19,000 USD.  The equipment they will be using is state of the art.  This is an extreme example, and pricing varies of course.

It is important to do your due diligence and research what you are looking for, not all the hospitals offer the same procedures/pricing etc.

Thank goodness i am a resident here and belong to two  great govt hospitals ,Queen Sirakit for my cataract , and Chonburi for my heart etc ,the prices i have just seen quoted are massive compared to their costs ,but then i did spend 53k to have one night in a private hospital ,nice room though ,next day exactly the same treatment at Chonburi heart hospital ,on the ward ,9k including 3 months meds .

by the way i am not entirely sure of the cost for my cataract operation when i need it (private hospital told me needed it straight away 6 yrs ago 52 k) but the nurse said about 20k at Queen Sirakit. 6 months ago.

3 hours ago, ivor bigun said:

Thank goodness i am a resident here and belong to two  great govt hospitals ,Queen Sirakit for my cataract , and Chonburi for my heart etc ,the prices i have just seen quoted are massive compared to their costs ,but then i did spend 53k to have one night in a private hospital ,nice room though ,next day exactly the same treatment at Chonburi heart hospital ,on the ward ,9k including 3 months meds .

by the way i am not entirely sure of the cost for my cataract operation when i need it (private hospital told me needed it straight away 6 yrs ago 52 k) but the nurse said about 20k at Queen Sirakit. 6 months ago.

About 20k per eye is about right for govt hospital if using standard lens implant.

• Thanks 1

Just returned from Chonburi hospital ,i had some blood tests done here in Pattaya ,and one was not quite normal ,so my wife rang Chonburi heart hospital ,yesterday  had appointment this afternoon ,all normal , no worries it seems ,one thing is i dont sleep well these days and sometimes take a sleeping tablet ,asked for prescription ,he gave me two months supply 60 tabs , those plus my consultation came to the grand total of 460 baht ,

ime not complaining .but i was amazed expected a fair bit more to pay .

Sheryl, do you know if multi-focal (tri) IOLs are offered at Queen Sirikit.  I know there are probably different brands and a large variation in prices but do you have any ball-park figures?

Appreciate any help.  Thanks.