Incorrect name on drivers licence

Hi,

I've just been to the DLT and got a new (temporary) bike and car licence. But I have just noticed that one of my middle names is spelt incorrectly by one letter.

Does this matter? More concerned about insurance claims and they check my passport and say the names don't match.

Is it easy to change at DLT or will I need to start the whole process over again?

Thanks

6 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

Where did you go? Pattaya one gets you to check and sign a document to say it's correct

The one near chatuchak.

I checked it and it was correct on the paper. My address however was incorrect...I told them my address is incorrect and they said don't worry...

Am I able to just go back and get them to correct the spelling?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, incorrectnamesamesame said:

The one near chatuchak.

I checked it and it was correct on the paper. My address however was incorrect...I told them my address is incorrect and they said don't worry...

Yes, Pattaya charges 50 baht a licence to change address + you'll need to pay for new licences. The address system here is weird though, it's possible your address is the official address rather than postal address, if so it's fine. Mine is the official address, Moo etc, which I never use

1 hour ago, scubascuba3 said:

Yes, Pattaya charges 50 baht a licence to change address + you'll need to pay for new licences. The address system here is weird though, it's possible your address is the official address rather than postal address, if so it's fine. Mine is the official address, Moo etc, which I never use

it is my name not the address which is the problem

3 hours ago, incorrectnamesamesame said:

The one near chatuchak.

You really confused yourself. You say it was correct in paper ?

Then address is incorrect?

And earlier your name was incorrect ?

????????????

7 minutes ago, LoliLoso said:

You really confused yourself. You say it was correct in paper ?

Then address is incorrect?

And earlier your name was incorrect ?

????????????

Nope... You are confused...  what the Op wrote was clear. 

1) 1 letter of the middle name is incorrect on his renewed licence (2yr temp I assume)

2) When checking the ‘paper’ the Op’s name was correct.

3) When checking the ‘paper’ the Op noticed his address was incorrect, he was told not to worry about it.

Thats it - simple if you an read !!! :passifier:

Op: It’s just a letter in your middle name - don’t worry about it, no issues with insurance etc..  insurance companies in the west wouldn’t be able to wiggle out of a claim on that level of technicality. Here, they wouldn’t even notice, but if they did its still a non-event as in the vast majority of cases its the car which is insured unless you go for a specific named driver policy. 

3 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

1) 1 letter of the middle name is incorrect on his renewed licence (2yr temp I assume)

3) When checking the ‘paper’ the Op noticed his address was incorrect, he was told not to worry about it.

Op: It’s just a letter in your middle name - don’t worry about it, no issues with insurance etc..  insurance companies in the west wouldn’t be able to wiggle out of a claim on that level of technicality. Here, they wouldn’t even notice, but if they did its still a non-event as in the vast majority of cases its the car which is insured unless you go for a specific named driver policy. 

So his name and address is incorrect, that's not great

9 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

So his name and address is incorrect, that's not great

Hardly a big deal...  

How many people move house and don’t change their DL address? 

Wife and I have moved multiple times.. never an insurance issue when making a claim

(the wife has been known to ding the car from time to time, I on the other hand am an example of driving perfection..ech-hmmmm :whistling:)

Never had an incorrect ’name spelling’ but this is one letter in a middle name, it's a non-issue, not even the airlines are bothered about that (and Airlines are very strict on name spellings, particularly the surname).

You should change the license if you plan to use it as an ID. I did it a few years ago, it costs 55 thb, and takes just sitting in a queue in DLT - from 5 minutes to an hour.

Bring a copy of passport main page (required), visa page (just in case), and a copy of work permit if you have one.

https://forum.thaivisa.com/topic/1100593-sharing-experience-update-a-2-year-driving-license-to-5-year/?do=findComment&comment=14525562

Edited by fdsa

19 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Yes this is correct.

My address is 52/47 + plus condo name. But they only put 52. I told them it is 52/47 to be told "mai pen lai"...

I'm pretty sure it will be fine. I think it will be unlikely anyone will actually notice there is an extra letter in there. But better to be safe than sorry I guess.

1 hour ago, fdsa said:

You should change the license if you plan to use it as an ID. I did it a few years ago, it costs 55 thb, and takes just sitting in a queue in DLT - from 5 minutes to an hour.

Bring a copy of passport main page (required), visa page (just in case), and a copy of work permit if you have one.

https://forum.thaivisa.com/topic/1100593-sharing-experience-update-a-2-year-driving-license-to-5-year/?do=findComment&comment=14525562

I don't have a work permit (non-o visa) so had to pay for a residence certificate which is now with DLT. So don't really want to have to do that process again as well...

Why did you change your name was that due to marriage? Or because of a mistake on your licence?

23 hours ago, incorrectnamesamesame said:

I've just been to the DLT and got a new (temporary) bike and car licence. But I have just noticed that one of my middle names is spelt incorrectly by one letter.

Does this matter? More concerned about insurance claims and they check my passport and say the names don't match.

It shouldn't matter, I've had a number of claims in the past and was never asked for my passport when claiming, only my licence was required.   If it makes you feel happier, just get the licence corrected.  By the way, the document with your details they ask you to check is what determines what is printed on the licence by their licence printer, it is not done manually. 

On 2/17/2021 at 11:37 AM, incorrectnamesamesame said:

Hi,

Is it easy to change at DLT or will I need to start the whole process over again?

Thanks

Your Drivers permit has your passport No. embedded in it. This should clear any misunderstanding in case of claim.

On 2/17/2021 at 4:53 PM, incorrectnamesamesame said:

The one near chatuchak.

Yes you can go back and correct  the wrong spelling ,,, But when I did this a few years ago they said You Have to Pay again, go figure .They make the Mistake and you have to Pay for it.