Crackdown looming on foreign teachers without work permits as new labor minister flexes muscles

webfact

8 hours ago, DavisH said:

Do you think illegal foreign workers should work in your home country? I think not...8 out of 6129 checked is nothing. 

I couldn't give a monkeys what goes on back home mate.

Literally couldn't care less.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Rookiescot said:

If they are working without permits then there is obviously a demand for their services.

Why not give them permits?

Surely improving English standards would be beneficial for Thailand and its economy.

No need, Thai is going to be the International business language. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, cjinchiangrai said:

Maybe they need to rethink the whole program? The schools and agents are largely responsible for the violations. Anyone would want the proper visa but the schools need to provide what was promised. At the same time, unqualified people may be willing to work under the radar, like the many Russians that teach English. Again, the schools responsibility.

Unfortunately, the compensation is far below what is being offered in other Asian countries, so there is motivation to cut corners. The Philppinos are a good idea, if the Thais were willing, they could get many well qualified teachers from India as well. The accents are different, but then so are the Scots and the Irish. 

There is also a huge opportunity in all of the expats that are not allowed to help. I would be happy to help tutor the local kids for free, but currently I would be arrested and deported. My English is way better than the local Thai teacher. My Calculus is better too, but I guess they have plenty of STEM teachers around as well.

I always like to read those comments about the Scots and the Irish as they tend to imply the English only can teach english.

We must be forgetting Geordies, Yorkshire people, and west country people oooh aarrr etc. Nearly forgot Brummies.????.

19 hours ago, arick said:

Maybe sombody figure out English gives the child and undstandering and knowledge of what they are doing so yes band all English teacher keep the all stupid 

19 hours ago, arick said:

I am British and I would never work here again as  teacher  even for 200k. All the Brit Headteachers in the International Schools are nasty bullies... Who have never taught in the UK or if they did where never gualified. 555 

"Where" you qualified and NES.? 

13 minutes ago, overherebc said:

I always like to read those comments about the Scots and the Irish as they tend to imply the English only can teach english.

We must be forgetting Geordies, Yorkshire people, and west country people oooh aarrr etc. Nearly forgot Brummies.????.

Scousers

16 hours ago, kingstonkid said:

Isn't this the annual here we go again thing that happens at the end of every semester?

Sure is. Happens at least annually. Round up a few African "teachers" in NaNa, and Bob's your aunty. Seriously, though: it's so bleedin' obviously counterlogical. Nobody wants to come here now and pay 100,000b for Covid hotel and then start earning 30,000pm. How do you attract good teachers? Duh.

11 hours ago, asiasurfer said:

Same old story. Why would a qualified teacher come here without all required documents, provided by the school?? And anyway, better leave the Thai kids stupid. It's easier to reign a nation full of fools. 

As long as a teacher has a degree they should have the required documents for the employer to get a WP, unless a TEFL qualification is also required (which in my opinion it should be for TEFL, although it isn't required for a WP). The qualifications for Teaching English as a Foreign Language in Thailand are no different to other countries in Asia, Europe and other continents, although in most countries more value is placed on the TEFL qualification (i.e. it has to be a CELTA or Trinity TESOL) than a degree in any subject.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, asiasurfer said:

Same old story. Why would a qualified teacher come here without all required documents, provided by the school?? And anyway, better leave the Thai kids stupid. It's easier to reign a nation full of fools. 

My boy goes to a government school here and is in his last year of high school. 

I would like to see him test against college students in the US and I would bet that in science and math he would beat 90% of lower division students and at least 50% of uppers. 

• Like 1

On 2/18/2021 at 9:02 AM, colinneil said:

Improving English standards???? Behave yourself, when does any Thai take notice of anything other than Thai? Answer........ Never.

Why would a Thai want to learn English?  Even the PM stated a while back that it wont be long b4 the whole world will be speaking Thai.

11 minutes ago, mogandave said:

I would like to see him test against college students in the US and I would bet that in science and math he would beat 90% of lower division students and at least 50% of uppers. 

Ok we got one....any more?   lol

15 minutes ago, ThaiFelix said:

Ok we got one....any more?   lol

That is probably true. My grade 10  exchange students said the work in their US school was easy. The US sat exam is only 9th and 10th grade maths here. Thai students generally do well on the maths portion but they find the English portion challenging. 

• Like 1

It's not a wind up! It's a fact. And NES who the hell would work in those places...? If your fully qualified. To teach in the UK, Europe and British Columbia, CA. Very few Licenced Canadian teachers even get the licence for that Province  thats why they go and teach in London. I taught the largest A level Biology  cohort in the UK. 

2 hours ago, mogandave said:

Math for sure 

7 minutes ago, arick said:

It's not a wind up! It's a fact. And NES who the hell would work in those places...? If your fully qualified. To teach in the UK, Europe and British Columbia, CA. Very few Licenced Canadian teachers even get the licence for that Province  thats why they go and teach in London. I taught the largest A level Biology  cohort in the UK. 

A very small proportion of NES teachers in Thailand are qualified to teach in western schools or their international equivalents here.  The vast majority are teaching English as a foreign language, which is something done in almost every country in the world.  TEFL qualifications range from the "gold standard" CELTA & its Young Learners extension and Trinity TESOL, and countless other courses of variable quality! Unfortunately in Thailand, getting a work permit requires a degree (in any subject) rather than an appropriate qualification.  

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, brewsterbudgen said:

A very small proportion of NES teachers in Thailand are qualified to teach in western schools or their international equivalents here.  The vast majority are teaching English as a foreign language, which is something done in almost every country in the world.  TEFL qualifications range from the "gold standard" CELTA & its Young Learners extension and Trinity TESOL, and countless other courses of variable quality! Unfortunately in Thailand, getting a work permit requires a degree (in any subject) rather than an appropriate qualification.  

Do not most teachers have a degree? 

On 2/18/2021 at 8:46 AM, Rookiescot said:

If they are working without permits then there is obviously a demand for their services.

Why not give them permits?

Surely improving English standards would be beneficial for Thailand and its economy.

You have a valid point but someone will come with a false equivalence that you need a degree to be a dentist. Its not the same. The Thai teachers teach grammar while the foreigner gets them to use the language. I would not exactly call ESL teaching, especially considering that a 'qualified' English language teacher can be someone with a degree in history. It makes no sense. Actual native speaking teachers with teaching degrees tend to go for the money in Korea, Japan or China or in Thailand at the international schools. If they really want to spend time on improving English standards then they will have to come up with another idea. 

Edited by aqua4
spelling
  • Like 1