Crackdown looming on foreign teachers without work permits as new labor minister flexes muscles

webfact

26 minutes ago, LomSak27 said:

Check out government schools and EP programs. While some might fudge. most have been all legal for decades. Yes, its true. 

Yes true but their pay has been decreased for 90k a month down nothing so why would you bother to work here. 

5 hours ago, darksidedog said:

It is interesting that as the crackdown on foreign teachers took hold a few years back how Thailands standings in English ability began to steadily fall. There is an ignorance at the top of the ladder, an ignorance that is having a far more negative impact on its young people than any amount of teachers without a work permit ever could.

Maybe sombody figure out English gives the child and undstandering and knowledge of what they are doing so yes band all English teacher keep the all stupid 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Rookiescot said:

If they are working without permits then there is obviously a demand for their services.

It shows there is a demand for cheap English teachers. 

Why not give them permits?

Surely improving English standards would be beneficial for Thailand and its economy.

Cheap English teachers don’t improve English standards. 

There’s a reason why work permits come with certain requirements. 

Edited by welovesundaysatspace
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

How is it that Thailand is able to announce new programs with conflicting priorities on an almost daily basis. This morning's newspaper carried an article that there was a new initiative to improve English among students....the plan is to train the teachers better, who will then teach the kids better. OK, I'll go along with that although the details will contain hundreds of thousands of errors.

Now this article in which the Labour Ministry announce are going to crack dow on foreign teachers, the vast majority are here to teach English. If you round all the teachers with improper documents you just might be able to blame the anticipated poor result of the teaching English to English teacher on the crackdown of foreign teachers.....now that is what I call forward planning.

• Confused 1

6 hours ago, Peterw42 said:

Yes its very important, thats why there are minimum standards and permits for who can teach.

Based on your logic, if there is a high demand for dentists, everyone should be able to be a dentist.

I can speak about my proficiency in English, however concerning dentistry, I will keep my mouth shut.

7 hours ago, Rookiescot said:

If they are working without permits then there is obviously a demand for their services.

Why not give them permits?

Surely improving English standards would be beneficial for Thailand and its economy.

Knowing English and teaching English are two different things. Many people think that if they know English, they can teach English which is wrong.

Many students in Thailand end up not understanding what the native teacher said because the teacher just can't teach to second language learners.

I've seen many native teachers teaching like the students are first language learners back home.

A good teacher should apply for non-O visa first and not go in as a tourist.

Edited by EricTh