Jump to content

Crackdown looming on foreign teachers without work permits as new labor minister flexes muscles


webfact

Recommended Posts

Crackdown looming on foreign teachers without work permits as new labor minister flexes muscles

 

1pm.jpg

Picture: Bangkok Business News

 

Labor minister Suchart Chomklin who took over at the helm in a reshuffle last year is determined to stop foreigners teaching without a work permit in Thailand.

 

And stop the practice of teachers turning to teaching after arriving on tourist visas. 

 

Suchart instructed the Department of Employment to check all private and state schools employing foreigners both in the provinces and in Bangkok, reported Bangkok Business News. 

 

A PR drive has been taking place to inform schools and institutions about the regulations of hiring foreigners - and the penalties for breaking the law. 

 

Suchart Pornchaiwisetkul of the Department of Employment said that a survey showed that of 922 schools checked there were 6,129 foreign teachers.

 

The top five nations' hired were teachers from:

 

1. The Philippines (2,667)

2. Britain (558)

3. The USA(465)

4. China (237)

5. South Africa (160).

 

The remaining 2,042 were from other nations.

 

In the survey eight teachers were found without work permits. A handful more were not following the regulations properly.

 

One school was found to be flouting the law hiring teachers without work permits and twenty others were not properly following the regulations .

 

These were not giving names and nationalities correctly within 15 days of employment and were not properly reporting those who left employment. 

 

BBN reported that teachers can only be hired on non-immigrant visas and can't convert tourist or transit visas into a work opportunity. 

 

Source: Bangkok Business News

 

 

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2021-02-18
 
Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If they are working without permits then there is obviously a demand for their services.

Why not give them permits?

Surely improving English standards would be beneficial for Thailand and its economy.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Just now, webfact said:

Labor minister Suchart Chomklin who took over at the helm in a reshuffle last year is determined to stop foreigners teaching without a work permit in Thailand.

 

Find the Usual Suspects. This is a winner. At the same time lets ignore illegal workers from surrounding countries who prop up the Thai labor force, but unfortunately bring in covid.  When they do that, BTW  it shines a bad light on who exactly brought them in, who let that happen and of course all the quarantine-ing for COVID costs, that now are worthless. Ooops. Lets round up some illegal teachers for a photo op. That's the ticket!

Link to post
Share on other sites

It is interesting that as the crackdown on foreign teachers took hold a few years back how Thailands standings in English ability began to steadily fall. There is an ignorance at the top of the ladder, an ignorance that is having a far more negative impact on its young people than any amount of teachers without a work permit ever could.

Link to post
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Rookiescot said:

 

Surely improving English standards would be beneficial for Thailand and its economy.

Improving English standards🤭 Behave yourself, when does any Thai take notice of anything other than Thai? Answer........ Never.

Link to post
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, darksidedog said:

It is interesting that as the crackdown on foreign teachers took hold a few years back how Thailands standings in English ability began to steadily fall. There is an ignorance at the top of the ladder, an ignorance that is having a far more negative impact on its young people than any amount of teachers without a work permit ever could.

You are so right. However, I do not believe it is ignorance at all. It´s not humanly possible to be that stupid! I believe it is that the ruling elite, does not see it as beneficial for their economical profit to educate the grass roots. That´s also why they take most of the teachers from the Philippines, even as they know studies and test already proven their language skills are worse than in Thailand.

Link to post
Share on other sites

35 minutes ago, Rookiescot said:

If they are working without permits then there is obviously a demand for their services.

Why not give them permits?

Surely improving English standards would be beneficial for Thailand and its economy.

Yes its very important, thats why there are minimum standards and permits for who can teach.

Based on your logic, if there is a high demand for dentists, everyone should be able to be a dentist.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Dont Worry!!!! Thais have the Magic Pen translator!!!!

 

Just like when u date a bargirl and she drops you in a heartbeat as soon as a better cash cow comes in..

 

Many Sick Buffalo!!!!  Thailand for Thai People!!!!..Bringing Happiness!  🙂

Link to post
Share on other sites

Most foreign teachers teach English....

 

The problem with the English teachers is they are teaching English....

 

Now if they were teaching Mandarin, .............well.............

Link to post
Share on other sites

Of course Foreigners are a threat in Thailand. Get rid of them as soon as possible. Thai people can teach them without speaking or understanding a word.. Don't believe it?? try to talk with a Thai English teacher and you know

Link to post
Share on other sites

52 minutes ago, Dagfinnur Traustason said:

You are so right. However, I do not believe it is ignorance at all. It´s not humanly possible to be that stupid! I believe it is that the ruling elite, does not see it as beneficial for their economical profit to educate the grass roots. That´s also why they take most of the teachers from the Philippines, even as they know studies and test already proven their language skills are worse than in Thailand.

That looked like a ridiculous fabrication, so I looked it up.  2020 English proficiency: Philippines ranked 27th, Thailand 89th.

 

https://www.ef.com/wwen/epi/

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

58 minutes ago, Dagfinnur Traustason said:

That´s also why they take most of the teachers from the Philippines, even as they know studies and test already proven their language skills are worse than in Thailand.

I though it was because the PI teachers were cheap.

Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, realfunster said:

Quick ! Divert the submarine & vaccine money to tackle this national crisis !

If they don't have a work permit, there is no control who is teaching, could be a pedophile. So I think it is very important that they do check.

Link to post
Share on other sites

How did it work out with all the teachers that had to make a new visa (usually in a neighboring country) at the end of last school year as that was at about the same time that the borders were closed.

Link to post
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, LomSak27 said:

 

Find the Usual Suspects. This is a winner. At the same time lets ignore illegal workers from surrounding countries who prop up the Thai labor force, but unfortunately bring in covid.  When they do that, BTW  it shines a bad light on who exactly brought them in, who let that happen and of course all the quarantine-ing for COVID costs, that now are worthless. Ooops. Lets round up some illegal teachers for a photo op. That's the ticket!

Its far better than any soap, don't ya think!

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, KhunG said:

That looked like a ridiculous fabrication, so I looked it up.  2020 English proficiency: Philippines ranked 27th, Thailand 89th.

 

https://www.ef.com/wwen/epi/

 

Ok, that goes against the study the published from the news about a year ago here on TV. Can´t <deleted> myself to find it, search if you want. Otherwise, I stand corrected.

Link to post
Share on other sites

No need for English teachers when Thai will become an international language soon according to our galaxy-brain PM.

 

Anecdotally, I told my Thai ex-gf's kids that they would need to learn English to travel and be understood internationally. Shortly after I was eating Indian food and one of them asked "do Indians speak Thai?" I had to explain again that NOBODY speaks Thai except Thais in Thailand and NOBODY understands Thai outside of the country. They are being told at school that Thai is an international language... no, seriously!

 

I actually fear for the future of this country. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, FritsSikkink said:

If they don't have a work permit, there is no control who is teaching, could be a pedophile. So I think it is very important that they do check.

How does having a work permit prevent a teacher from being a pedophile?

 

They only have to have a background criminal record check so they could easily be a pedophile that hasn't been caught. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Peterw42 said:

Yes its very important, thats why there are minimum standards and permits for who can teach.

Based on your logic, if there is a high demand for dentists, everyone should be able to be a dentist.

 

If they are no good as teachers then they will not be employed for very long will they.

Link to post
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, ikke1959 said:

Of course Foreigners are a threat in Thailand. Get rid of them as soon as possible. Thai people can teach them without speaking or understanding a word.. Don't believe it?? try to talk with a Thai English teacher and you know

Often, the Thai 'Head of Languages Department' or 'Head of English Department' fits these exact scenarios.

Link to post
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, herfiehandbag said:

922 schools.

 

6129 teachers.

 

8 without work permits.

 

A massive problem...

 

A massive problem for the new Labor minister, he only has a short window to make himself look good in!

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, GeorgeCross said:

 

A massive problem for the new Labor minister, he only has a short window to make himself look good in!

 

With this guy, the Labor Minister and Anutin, Health Minister, it's clear that xenophobia or at least the (everyone knows it) tendency to focus or blame foreigners is not only a 'good card' to play but 'makes them shine.'

Link to post
Share on other sites

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...