Bike Helmet in Airline Cabin?

belfast3

Do any of the Thai airlines allow you to bring a motorcycle helmet into the cabin along with a small laptop bag?

I'm travelling to Koh Phangan and am assuming that I won't be able to acquire a proper helmet on the island? So my plan is to purchase one in Bangkok and fly with it.

Hand carry ‘should’ be no problem at all... Never heard of anyone facing issues carrying a helmet on international or domestic flights. 

As others have written, the standard ‘helmet sack’ which comes with the helmet. 

Decent places to purchase a new helmet in Bangkok: Paddock (Ratchadapisek Rd) & Panda Rider (Kasaet-Nawamin rd).

Don’t worry about size with the carry on - you will be able to place it on the empty seat next to you - not too many ppl travelling around at the moment. 

If you wanted to be 100% sure, call the airline and ask if you can hand carry a Motorcycle helmet. 

If you already know where you will be staying you could also just send it there, then you don't have to worry if the airline might make problems. But most likely it's no problem to take the helmet with you in the plane, I've seen people carrying way more stuff as hand luggage.

Edited by jackdd

27 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Hand carry ‘should’ be no problem at all... Never heard of anyone facing issues carrying a helmet on international or domestic flights. 

As others have written, the standard ‘helmet sack’ which comes with the helmet. 

Decent places to purchase a new helmet in Bangkok: Paddock (Ratchadapisek Rd) & Panda Rider (Kasaet-Nawamin rd).

Don’t worry about size with the carry on - you will be able to place it on the empty seat next to you - not too many ppl travelling around at the moment. 

If you wanted to be 100% sure, call the airline and ask if you can hand carry a Motorcycle helmet. 

Awesome, thank you! Do these shops sell western brands?

15 hours ago, belfast3 said:

They stock helmets with western labels.  Genuine.................?   I have no reason to doubt them, but TIT after all.  Examine closely; is it the quality you expect from a Western helmet?  Not just the shell, check the padding is fitted perfectly, trim cut seamlessly, stickers aligned perfectly, etc., etc.

One thing when buying, try on the actual one you're buying.  If you try one, find that it fits, and they give you the identical one in a box, it may not fit as well.  I don't know if this is specific to Thai brands - its 30+ years since I bought in the UK - but it's definitely worth checking.

One more thing, I got a new helmet a month back and was worried about the covid risk from multiple people trying it on, so I took a plastic bag to go over my head.  It did provoke laughter, but I didn't care, safety first.  ????

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, belfast3 said:

Yes - both shops sell and stock western brands. 

Paddock stock Shoei - I purchased my last helmets, both Shoei Neoteck (1 and then 2) from Paddock, they have trained fitters there - they also respond to Facebook messages.

https://www.paddock.co.th

Panda Rider stock a wider range of brands: Schuberth, Caberg, Nexx, 

http://www.pandarider.com

The website of both shops show what they have although if you have a large head you should check ahead of time for sizes. 

Both shops are worth a visit, they have plenty of other kit too, gloves, jackets etc.

Panda Rider has a good range of Rev’it kit while Paddock has Komine etc

Regarding quality / genuine stock: Both shops sell legitimate kit. When choosing my first helmet I did a lot of internet research, how to spot fakes etc, tell legitimate helmets etc. I carried out repeat research when choosing another helmet 4 years later - The helmets at both shops were all legitimate (as far as I could tell) - we could try as many helmets as we wanted ‘in shop’ (couldn’t go for a test ride in them).

Both shops worth a visit. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, belfast3 said:

Do any of the Thai airlines allow you to bring a motorcycle helmet into the cabin along with a small laptop bag?

I'm travelling to Koh Phangan and am assuming that I won't be able to acquire a proper helmet on the island? So my plan is to purchase one in Bangkok and fly with it.

Yes, have done it before.

Helmets were not allowed carry on and must be checked in on the two international flights into Thailand and one domestic flight I have taken in the last 2 years. That was with Thai airways.

edit: that was full face helmets. My skid lid ice cream container lid I have hand carried previously with no issues. 

Edited by MadMuhammad

23 hours ago, belfast3 said:

Most airlines say no... it has to go as hold luggage.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

23 hours ago, belfast3 said:

I carry my AGV all the time (internal flights) on my fly motorcycle ride/holidays, never a problem.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Yes - both shops sell and stock western brands. 

Paddock stock Shoei - I purchased my last helmets, both Shoei Neoteck (1 and then 2) from Paddock, they have trained fitters there - they also respond to Facebook messages.

https://www.paddock.co.th

Panda Rider stock a wider range of brands: Schuberth, Caberg, Nexx, 

http://www.pandarider.com

The website of both shops show what they have although if you have a large head you should check ahead of time for sizes. 

Both shops are worth a visit, they have plenty of other kit too, gloves, jackets etc.

Panda Rider has a good range of Rev’it kit while Paddock has Komine etc

Regarding quality / genuine stock: Both shops sell legitimate kit. When choosing my first helmet I did a lot of internet research, how to spot fakes etc, tell legitimate helmets etc. I carried out repeat research when choosing another helmet 4 years later - The helmets at both shops were all legitimate (as far as I could tell) - we could try as many helmets as we wanted ‘in shop’ (couldn’t go for a test ride in them).

Both shops worth a visit. 

I'll second Panda Rider.  When my wife was looking for a Shoei helmet we wound up at BKKSpeed, a small shop located near chinatown that specializes in western helmet brands.  Great service. Plus they're a short walk from the Wat Mangkon MRT station.  They actually recommended Panda Rider for the rest of her gear.

34 minutes ago, hotchilli said:

Most airlines say no... it has to go as hold luggage.

Have you tried to take a helmet on ‘most’ airlines and been told no, it has to go in hold luggage ?

I’ve seen people hand carry helmets, others are reporting they have carried their helmets. 

Whats the potential issue with carrying a helmet on a flight? what possible reason for saying no?

On 2/18/2021 at 11:45 AM, belfast3 said:

I've brought a full face helmet as carry on luggage before  from the u.k & connecting flights in thailand, i filled it with a sat nav & other electrical items without any problems......

• Like 2

1 hour ago, richard_smith237 said:

Have you tried to take a helmet on ‘most’ airlines and been told no, it has to go in hold luggage ?

I’ve seen people hand carry helmets, others are reporting they have carried their helmets. 

Whats the potential issue with carrying a helmet on a flight? what possible reason for saying no?

I would suppose the likelihood of a check in 'jobsworth' directing you to try it in the cabin bag size tester 'rack' (which it will fail) would be the only foil to the plan.

7 hours ago, iaminwa said:

I believe its no - always seen people told to check it or they can't board.

think that is the correct way.

A helmet is a potential weapon when in the wrong hands !