My Issan 10kw on grid solar project fully installed by contractors 337,500bht

Hi

do you sell any energy to PEA or is your system feeding energy back to the grid? If no, did, you have to do any paperwork for PEA? I just wonder, if it is true, that no PEA application is required for the solar system , if the system is not feeding back to the grid.

regards

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Opossum said:

Hi

do you sell any energy to PEA or is your system feeding energy back to the grid? If no, did, you have to do any paperwork for PEA?

regards

My installation is only 4 days old and is feeding about 13Kw into the grid (PEA) each day. I have an old meter which will be replaced with a smart meter soon I hope. I am doing everything legit...cough cough.. PEA is buying 1Kw for 1.96Bht.. The paperwork yet involved I do not know but my Terak after visiting them about it today said easy. If you are not sending power back to the grid then PEA does not have to be informed.. You would obviously want to make sure that the system is not going to electrocute a worker somewhere down the line if you connect to main grid supply..

• Like 2

Hmm the stats and the graph don't compute for me either. On the graph the consumption is virtually always higher than the production. Yet there is over 26% export? Also self consumption and import are split 51/49 roughly but it's hard to believe the area of the red part is the same as the blue one. He says his avg bill is 5k THB but at those consumption values it should be about double that.

mistral: 60kWh production with that system is doable if he has the right angles, no shadowing etc. Plus it's brand new so super clean and those are 440W panels for a bit over 10kWp. His energy usage does vary quite a bit but yes it tracks the solar output a bit too closely. Especially no usage whatsoever in the evening?

• Like 2

On 2/22/2021 at 11:31 PM, tgw said:

so... what do the financials on this project look like?

how long until break even? do you make money by selling power to the grid?

what's the duration of amortization vs. expected lifetime of the installation?

expected maintenance and repair costs?

Those panels should produce 35 units/day, let's say all worth 4bht/unit = 140bht/day.

340,000 divide by 140bht =2428 days = 6.5 years for payback.

If you were selling all to the PEA @ 2bht/unit = 13 years for payback.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

8 hours ago, Thaifish said:

Expected maintenance...Clean the PV panels every six months which is included in the installation cost for the next 5 years.... That was a surprise in contract...

My panels need cleaning every 2 months ............ 6 months is very optimistic.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, eisfeld said:

Hmm the stats and the graph don't compute for me either. On the graph the consumption is virtually always higher than the production. Yet there is over 26% export? Also self consumption and import are split 51/49 roughly but it's hard to believe the area of the red part is the same as the blue one. He says his avg bill is 5k THB but at those consumption values it should be about double that.

mistral: 60kWh production with that system is doable if he has the right angles, no shadowing etc. Plus it's brand new so super clean and those are 440W panels for a bit over 10kWp. His energy usage does vary quite a bit but yes it tracks the solar output a bit too closely. Especially no usage whatsoever in the evening?

The 60 Kwh circled in yellow is production, the 87 Kwh circled in red is consumption over a 24 hour period - the Huawei performance presentation is a bit confusing at first, but I can live with it.

60 Kwh production leaves me green with envy - and I am not convinced, as this equates to 2.61 Kwh per panel. That is more than even the most optimistic installer will mention during his sales pitch. My best was 2 Kwh per panel, but I have shading problems, our neighbor, without shading, has a best of 2.1 Kwh. Admittedly, roof/panel angles and orientation will make a significant difference, and if it is confirmed, it will give me pause.

prod_consump.jpg

Edited by mistral53
typo
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, Thaifish said:

I'm day 4 into commission of unit... The questions you ask are hard but I will answer with what I see.. There has been heaps of interruptions on the unit. We had a black out for 4 something hours (solar shut down) + a major warning display come up which through the system out and it shut down and spiked and shut down for a few hours. The warning was prompted by an over voltage from the power supplier. I have noticed since solar switched on we are getting around 230V...before it was around 210V..  so early on in the stage with sun all day bar drop outs.

Financials looking better than what I was expecting.. I was expecting 40kw production but it is looking like 60kw per day!!! early times. I have issues big time with the computer and phone readouts but the production figure looks close.

Best guess at this stage with break even is 5 years 11months. Average consumption is 1196Kw p/m or 5,0000bht. Cost per Kw 4.18 Bht. The meter has averaged 13.3 Kw gain after a nights consumption.. :-)

Do I make money from selling to the grid?....Yes as confirmed by my Terak at Nang Rong PEA today. The buying price is 1.96Bht Kw.. I am still waiting for the smart meter to be installed...could take up to 6 months?? This is Thailand... Meter paid for in installation 4K Bht.. so going on figures above roughly 731Bht per month.

Amortization and expected lifetime?  No idea... Comes with 5 year warranty...cough cough...money paid day is when warranty stops in Thailand. Inverters have 5 years...Might last 10 if lucky...really lucky... Solar panels maybe 20 years... 1 lightning strike may change all of that.. The system is earthed for such an event..

Expected maintenance...Clean the PV panels every six months which is included in the installation cost for the next 5 years.... That was a surprise in contract...

Repair cost?? no idea... 5 years warranty to worry about that...

thank you for the information!

it's not looking bad if everything goes according to plan!

12 hours ago, mistral53 said:

I have a very similar system, albeit having 3 phases, I am able to use a single Huawei 12 Kw inverter (leaves some head room for expansion is I decide to do so)

I want to make some comments to your interpretation of the above graph: your consumption is massive at 87 Kwh per day, for 23 PV panels your production is off the charts at over 60 Kwh - nevertheless, it leaves you with a 17 Kwh deficit. Also, the graph does not make sense as your energy usage is almost perfectly tracking the output - I can see every load I add, e.g. pool, AC1, 2, 3, 4, water heater, car charging etc - a totally jagged 'curve'. If you are interested I can share my yield/usage graph to show what I mean. Not intended to hi-jack your thread, just adding some context.

Please share ur graph. 

Thaifish's does not make sense at all. Why would he consumption be zero before 7 am and after 5:30 pm?

Also a peak consumption of 15,000 W at high noon sound excessive. 

• Like 2