Agent for driving licence

pomozki

• 1 month later...
37 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Try contacting this place. 

This video is about with a valid foreign license.

I'm also curious if they can help if it's expired so please post what you find out

https://youtu.be/jbbtkGUfI88

Same arrangement as Fatboy's in Bangkok except that Fatboy's charge B1,500 (may have been B1,900, can't remember exactly)for the same assistance, not B5,000.   

Usually these services are just a hand-holding exercise and are doing it all legitimately with the correct documentation, they are not providing a service that's illegal such as turning a blind eye to expired licences.   That's the case with Fatboy's, anyway.

3 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Same arrangement as Fatboy's in Bangkok except that Fatboy's charge B1,500 (may have been B1,900, can't remember exactly)for the same assistance, not B5,000.   

Usually these services are just a hand-holding exercise and are doing it all legitimately with the correct documentation, they are not providing a service that's illegal such as turning a blind eye to expired licences.   That's the case with Fatboy's, anyway.

I have no idea either way.

Just now, Jingthing said:
4 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Expand  

I have no idea either way.

I've used Fatboy's twice and that's the way it works.

Not sure you need an agent, the Driving Licence is one of the easiest ‘bureaucratic interactions’ there is in Thailand. 

Obtain and have copies of... 

1 - Affirmation of Address (From Embassy / Consulate or Immigration)

2 - Medical Certificate

3 - Passport (ID and Visa page)

4 - Expired Driving Licence

Go to your nearest DLT and attempt to obtain your Thai DL using your existing home country DL (you do not need an accompanying IDP if your home country DL is in English). 

Yes, your home country DL is expired, the Officers at the DLT may not recognise this and process you anyway - i.e. do a few rudimentary indoor tests (colour blindness, proximity and reaction tests) then watch a 45min video - then wait to have your DL printed (you may need to make an appointment to do all this). 

IF the Officers at the DLT do recognise that your home country DL is expired, they’ll point you in the right direction to take the full (out doors) practical test, you’ll likely have to make an appointment for some time in the figure. 

As others have written, an agent will simply hold your hand through this process, you still need to do everything yourself.

What may not have been noted is that an Agent may help with queue jumping and speed things up with either the appointment time or speeding things up on the day. 

Edited by richard_smith237
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

As others have written, an agent will simply hold your hand through this process, you still need to do everything yourself.

No, you don't have to do anything bureaucratic yourself, that's why you have the agent. 

You're told to sit down and sign forms, that's all, until the three reaction/perception/colour tests and maybe watching the video.

7 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

No, you don't have to do anything bureaucratic yourself, that's why you have the agent. 

You're told to sit down and sign forms, that's all, until the three reaction/perception/colour tests and maybe watching the video.

It's exactly the same without the agent. There is nothing you have to do besides of signing a form, doing the reaction test, watching the video and having your pictures taken, you do so when the people at the DLT call your number or tell you to do so, in between you sit down, quite straight forward.

Edited by jackdd

8 minutes ago, jackdd said:

It's exactly the same without the agent. There is nothing you have to do besides of signing a form, doing the reaction test, watching the video and having your pictures taken, you do so when the people at the DLT call your number or tell you to do so, in between you sit down, quite straight forward.

It's not exactly the same.   The process is but if you do it independently you have to deal with the queueing and the Thai staff and, if their English/your Thai is not good, that can create frustrations.   Agents alleviate that.

Edited by Liverpool Lou
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

So the agent collects the forms from the counter when called, hands you the forms, you sign the forms, return them to the agent who then returns them to the counter. 

I can see how the agent could be useful for someone who can’t walk 3m to a counter to sign a document. 

My 2-year Thai driving license expired last October, i've made 3 separate visits to get it renewed with the following outcomes: -

- I need a letter from immigration proving my address, work permit not accepted

- I must book to do the full 2-day practical / theory (wasn't needed for the 2-year license)

- My expired driving license is still valid for another year so don't need to test yet

Anyone else in this situation? at this point i'm happy to pay an agent just to get it done

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

It's not exactly the same.   The process is but if you do it independently you have to deal with the queueing and the Thai staff and, if their English/your Thai is not good, that can create frustrations.   Agents alleviate that.

Agreed... agents alleviate any potential stress of not knowing whats going on and being sat there waiting.... 

Do agents actually make the process any quicker ?

2 minutes ago, cyril sneer said:

My 2-year Thai driving license expired last October, i've made 3 separate visits to get it renewed with the following outcomes: -

- I need a letter from immigration proving my address, work permit not accepted

- I must book to do the full 2-day practical / theory (wasn't needed for the 2-year license)

- My expired driving license is still valid for another year so don't need to test yet

Anyone else in this situation? at this point i'm happy to pay an agent just to get it done

- An Affirmation of Address is required for every renewal (the newer work permits no longer contain your address and are thus no longer accepted). 

- After expiry there is a 1 year window to renew without having to do the full practical (if you are being asked to do the full practical something is amiss here)

@ Cryil - how is your expired licence still valid ? (is this something do with with renewal waver under covid?)

----------

Your 2 Yr licence can be renewed.

You need:

- Affirmation of Address (letter of address from Embassy or Immigration)

- Medical Check up certificate

- Copy of Passport (Visa and ID pages)

- Copy of Existing 2yr Licence (expired but <1 yr)

Additionally, IF you are on a Non-Immigrant Visa you should be able to renew your 2 year Temporary licence to a 5 year licence (this I’m not 100% sure of because your 2 yr Temp licence expired already, even though you have 1 year grace period for renewal).

In this situation a Visa Agent may be useful in telling the DLT official that they are wrong, something a foreigner is going to struggle to do. 

Note: I’ve had driving license here for over 20 years, always renewed myself. Sometimes the 2 year licence then renewed to a 5 year licence, then couldn’t renew a 5 year to another 5 year because I was no longer on a Non-Imm visa etc.

Note: the DLT staff often set their own rules - this works for or against you: for example: 

I had the EliteVisa (was not on a Non-Immigrant Visa) thus, in theory I could not renew a 2 year for a 5 year - the officers didn’t notice this and renewed to a 5 year. 

Another example: In Bangkok the Yellow Tabien house book is accepted as proof of address, whereas in at the DLT in Pattaya there have been reports that the Yellow Tabien house book is not accepted, something very strange about this going on in Pattaya. 

50 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

- An Affirmation of Address is required for every renewal (the newer work permits no longer contain your address and are thus no longer accepted). 

- After expiry there is a 1 year window to renew without having to do the full practical (if you are being asked to do the full practical something is amiss here)

@ Cryil - how is your expired licence still valid ? (is this something do with with renewal waver under covid?)

----------

Your 2 Yr licence can be renewed.

You need:

- Affirmation of Address (letter of address from Embassy or Immigration)

- Medical Check up certificate

- Copy of Passport (Visa and ID pages)

- Copy of Existing 2yr Licence (expired but <1 yr)

Additionally, IF you are on a Non-Immigrant Visa you should be able to renew your 2 year Temporary licence to a 5 year licence (this I’m not 100% sure of because your 2 yr Temp licence expired already, even though you have 1 year grace period for renewal).

In this situation a Visa Agent may be useful in telling the DLT official that they are wrong, something a foreigner is going to struggle to do. 

Note: I’ve had driving license here for over 20 years, always renewed myself. Sometimes the 2 year licence then renewed to a 5 year licence, then couldn’t renew a 5 year to another 5 year because I was no longer on a Non-Imm visa etc.

Note: the DLT staff often set their own rules - this works for or against you: for example: 

I had the EliteVisa (was not on a Non-Immigrant Visa) thus, in theory I could not renew a 2 year for a 5 year - the officers didn’t notice this and renewed to a 5 year. 

Another example: In Bangkok the Yellow Tabien house book is accepted as proof of address, whereas in at the DLT in Pattaya there have been reports that the Yellow Tabien house book is not accepted, something very strange about this going on in Pattaya. 

yes i've noticed DLT have their own rules - my original UK license was rejected at one office so drove 30km to the next one and it was accepted

re: newer work permits, I assumed they were trying to be difficult on purpose. I wonder why addresses were removed

re: expired license, maybe they're confusing this with grace period for renewal, as opposed to still being valid

thanks for the help

A bit different, but

Does anyone know how to get a Thai driving license , or a international license /permit  I

Friend has lost his wallet a while ago with his 10 year international permit inside

It appears he does not have a British licence, which expired, and lost, over 5 years ago. He is 77 years old

Went to licence dept., told no can do without British licence

Told only way is to take a test, but told no tests allowed , and no date when they will be 

Thanks

1 minute ago, Joinaman said:

A bit different, but

Does anyone know how to get a Thai driving license , or a international license /permit  I

Friend has lost his wallet a while ago with his 10 year international permit inside

It appears he does not have a British licence, which expired, and lost, over 5 years ago. He is 77 years old

Told only way is to take a test, but told no tests allowed , and no date when they will be 

Thanks

You won't get an International Driving licence in Thailand.

Even having one, I think it allows you only to drive for 6 months in Thailand and you have to apply for a Thai driving licence.

Without any proof of having a valid DL, he can't just go in and apply for a Thai DL and probably has to go through the procedure and do the necessary tests.

• Like 1

Just now, AlfHuy said:

You won't get an International Driving licence in Thailand.

Even having one, I think it allows you only to drive for 6 months in Thailand and you have to apply for a Thai driving licence.

Without any proof of having a valid DL, he can't just go in and apply for a Thai DL and probably has to go through the procedure and do the necessary tests.

That's what i thought, but he keeps saying he should get an international licence. He;s been driving on the 10 year one for at least 6 years without problems, police seem to accept it without bother

Its just he now has no licence of any kind to show if stopped, only a letter from the police when he reported the loss

And they would not give a date for new driving tests

So what happens if he gets stopped by the police, would the letter suffice, or is it a fine each time ?

He needs the car due to living in the middle of Nakon nowhere, so no option but to drive

Thanks AlfHuy

6 minutes ago, Joinaman said:

That's what i thought, but he keeps saying he should get an international licence. He;s been driving on the 10 year one for at least 6 years without problems, police seem to accept it without bother

Its just he now has no licence of any kind to show if stopped, only a letter from the police when he reported the loss

And they would not give a date for new driving tests

So what happens if he gets stopped by the police, would the letter suffice, or is it a fine each time ?

He needs the car due to living in the middle of Nakon nowhere, so no option but to drive

Thanks AlfHuy

An International driving licence is never valid for 10 years (at least mine isn't);

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Joinaman said:

A bit different, but

Thanks

Very strange... ANY international driving permit is only valid when it is accompanied with a Driving Licence (and has a validity of 1 year)

A 10 year driving Permit sounds very much like one of those internet scams !!...  Police here have accepted it, but the Police here really have no idea of their own laws and regulations !!!... (would the police in the UK, Germany, USA or Australia etc accept your ‘friends’ IDP ???

Your ‘friend’ has probably been driving illegally for the last number of years !!! 

Options for your friend: Get new UK Driving licence, which can be applied for online (he will need a UK address).

Have someone post over the UK licence, then he can use the UK licence.

OR, find a DLT which will accept the IDP (if he’s lucky !!) officers make mistakes all the time !!!

OR, he just has to do the full test. 

• Like 1